Welcome to the Louisville Restaurants Forum, a civil place for the intelligent discussion of the local restaurant scene and just about any other topic related to food and drink in and around Louisville.

Avalon

User

Mark W. R.

{ RANK }

Just got here

Sun Jun 10, 2007 10:46 pm

Louisville, KY

Avalon

by Mark W. R. » Fri Oct 05, 2007 10:02 pm

I noticed the 4-star review by Robin for Avalon is dated 2002. What's cooking there these days? Is it still 4 stars?
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Tue Feb 27, 2007 2:38 pm

Crescent Hill

Re: Avalon

by Robin Garr » Sat Oct 06, 2007 8:17 am

Mark W. R. wrote:I noticed the 4-star review by Robin for Avalon is dated 2002. What's cooking there these days? Is it still 4 stars?

It's good, although the four-star rating may have come on its early post-opening rush, and it has been through a number of chefs and menu changes since then, so it's fair to be skeptical of a five-year-old review. Still, Avalon basically remains very, very popular, and that's probably as much a reason as any why I haven't been back for a re-review: The wheel that doesn't squeak doesn't get the grease.
User

Deb Hall

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sun Mar 04, 2007 4:46 pm

Highlands , Louisville

by Deb Hall » Sun Oct 07, 2007 7:03 pm

Mark,

We haven't been there for a year (toddler- in- tow is not the best idea there), but Avalon is one of our top picks. Food has always been incredible, love the "little tastes" menu and their patio is in my opinion, hands-down the best place to eat outside in town.

Deb
no avatar
User

Houston Jones

{ RANK }

Foodie

Tue Jun 26, 2007 7:56 am

Lousiville, KY

Avalon

by Houston Jones » Tue Oct 09, 2007 9:27 pm

We went there about 4-5 weeks ago for dinner and all was very good, hands on personal touch by management, you won't be disappointed. Thanks Steve for a great restaurant experience
Improving the Louisville Dining Scene - Looking to open your own, buying or selling send me an email, Houston
User

Carolyne Davis

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sat Mar 24, 2007 11:22 am

by Carolyne Davis » Wed Oct 10, 2007 9:39 am

Deb Hall wrote:Mark,

We haven't been there for a year (toddler- in- tow is not the best idea there), but Avalon is one of our top picks. Food has always been incredible, love the "little tastes" menu and their patio is in my opinion, hands-down the best place to eat outside in town.

Deb

Don't let the "toddler in tow" stop you, unless the toddler in question is crazy wild. We took our 14 month old granddaughter and they went to Bearno's and "borrowed" a high chair, brought crackers and straws. Everyone was super nice about it!
User

Mark W. R.

{ RANK }

Just got here

Sun Jun 10, 2007 10:46 pm

Louisville, KY

by Mark W. R. » Wed Oct 10, 2007 11:04 am

Thank you all for your comments and responses to my query about Club Grotto - I am hopeful that the post-Chris Howerton era will be just as good. Before I go back, I've decided to wait a while and let the new guy find his vision. In my experience, it always takes a few months or more for a new chef to make his/her mark on the menu. I know the owners are committed to making it great.
User

Ethan Ray

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 2:30 pm

by Ethan Ray » Fri Oct 12, 2007 10:39 am

Robin Garr wrote:
Mark W. R. wrote:I noticed the 4-star review by Robin for Avalon is dated 2002. What's cooking there these days? Is it still 4 stars?

It's good, although the four-star rating may have come on its early post-opening rush, and it has been through a number of chefs and menu changes since then, so it's fair to be skeptical of a five-year-old review. Still, Avalon basically remains very, very popular, and that's probably as much a reason as any why I haven't been back for a re-review: The wheel that doesn't squeak doesn't get the grease.

3 Chefs later, i'd wager to say it's still Avalon...
but each chef makes their own individual mark.

Frankly, after having Mat, Tim and now Chip at the helm (since your last review); if i was the chef there... i'd be rather insulted that you didn't think 'my food' was worth reviewing when compared to a dated review from when Nathan was the chef 5 years ago (and when it was newly opened no less)

...just a inside perspective.

compare the Gerhardt/Cunha era to the Richards/Nutter era of the Oakroom.

5 years spells a whole hell of a difference.

For that matter, while on the same topic.
There hasn't been a review of Park Place since it was Wellinghurst's.
...i supposed nothings changed (chefs, management, name, remodeling) since their last review (how many years ago) and it's not worth updating. :shock:
Ethan Ray

I put vegetables in your desserts, white chocolate with your fish and other nonsense stuff that you think shouldn't make sense, but coax the nonsense into something that makes complete sense in your mouth. Just open your mind, mouth and eat.
User

Kurt R.

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Aug 23, 2007 9:08 am

Louisville, KY

by Kurt R. » Fri Oct 12, 2007 10:47 am

Chip has been at Avalon a long time. He was Nathan's assistant, then the executive chef for a year. Chip reluctantly moved to the Derby Cafe for two years then after a brief stint in Indy returned as the exective chef. Although there have been many changes therough the years, Chip is back with his old staff.
Chip has also made his unique mark on the food and it does deserve another review. The food remains excellent!
Kurt

Character is measured by a series of split second decisions.
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Fri Oct 12, 2007 11:04 am

Ethan Ray wrote: a dated review from when Nathan was the chef 5 years ago (and when it was newly opened no less)

Your observations are well taken and respectfully received, Ethan. It's a fact that it's not easy to get back around to the stars as often as I'd like ... a matter of time, money and calories all three. There are also some philosophical issues. At the CJ, for instance, in the Reigler era, she used to get back to her "favorites" a couple of times a year. I've always erred (and I believe Marty errs) on devoting more attention to newer places and smaller places, figuring that the stars are going to get attention from the public regardless.

That being said, there's also the issue of LouisvilleHotBytes having gone through a few structural changes in recent years. We moved over from the old HTML to new "blog-type" software about two years ago and forged partnerships with Food & Dining, LEO and the Voice-Tribune, which caused a lot of changes in both content and format. The downside of this is that the old stuff and the new stuff aren't as neatly organized into a single unit as they used to be, and that makes it hard trying to find current reviews.

If I EVER have a little time on my hands (remember, my "day job" involves running an international wine site that takes up a lot of time, too), I'll try to resolve that and get our master lists up to date.

But for the record, check out both of these more recent reviews:

[url=http://www.louisvillehotbytes.com/?p=60]Food, wine star at Avalon
Avalon’s patio is one of the hottest spots in Louisville.
LEO’s Eat’n'Blog, April 19, 2006[/url]

[url=http://www.louisvillehotbytes.com/?p=170]Getcher red hots … with truffle aioli and fennel kraut?
LEO’s Eat ‘n’ Blog with Louisville HotBytes, July 11, 2007[/url]
User

Amy A

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 1:34 pm

Jeffersonville

by Amy A » Fri Oct 12, 2007 4:58 pm

I'll be dining here tonight. The thread inspired me.
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Fri Oct 12, 2007 5:32 pm

Amy A wrote:I'll be dining here tonight. The thread inspired me.

Be sure to tell us what you think, Amy! It doesn't have to be a formal "review," unless you want to, but after all this discussion I think everyone is eager to hear how you fare.