Welcome to the Louisville Restaurants Forum, a civil place for the intelligent discussion of the local restaurant scene and just about any other topic related to food and drink in and around Louisville.
User

Shane Campbell

{ RANK }

In Time Out Room

Sun Apr 17, 2011 10:08 pm

Hoosierville

Re: new place in germantown four pegs beer lounge 11/4

by Shane Campbell » Thu Oct 27, 2011 10:10 pm

EEEExcellent Smithers! :D
I'm a bitter drinker....I just prefer it that way
User

Matthew Landan

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 29, 2007 5:17 pm

331 East Market Street

by Matthew Landan » Fri Oct 28, 2011 12:09 pm

Just curious what size pours at what prices.
Owner
Haymarket
331 E. Market St.

Since I came down from Oregon, there's a lesson or two I've learned
Oh, oh the Pride of Cucamonga, of, of silver apples in the sun,
Yes, it's me, I'm the Pride of Cucamonga, I can see golden forests in the sun.
User

Jesse Hendrix-Inman

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri May 16, 2008 11:22 am

Schnitzelburg

by Jesse Hendrix-Inman » Sat Nov 05, 2011 8:28 am

I went to the opening of Four Pegs Beer Lounge last night and I'm a fan. It was wall to wall packed, which I would usually hate, but the staff was eager to please and never seemed overwhelmed.

We had:

Pretzels and beer cheese
The cheese was not beer cheese, but it was a very delicious pimento cheese. The soft pretzels were good, with a nice crust.

Fish and chips
The fish was mild and lightly battered, almost tempura style. The fries had obvious potential, but they were lukewarm and a little chewy-I give them a free pass because it was their first night. I'm looking forward to ordering them again when the kitchen is less crazy.

Burger-I think it was beer glazed or something?
Nice, juicy medium well burger. I exclaimed that it was like eating a burger around the campfire when I bit into it. The smokiness came from this amazing thick cut bacon-I wonder where they source it.

Other interesting things of note:

They have put a nice coat of white paint to brighten up the old Germantown Cafe interior, which highlights the gorgeous original bar. My friend actually asked if that bar had already been there, which it had, but blended in with the dark surroundings.

It looked like the bartenders were using ipads for all orders. You order everything at the bar, then find a table and they bring you your food.

They have a nice big patio and have thankfully done away with the Miller Lite umbrellas and beer advertisement banners.
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Tue Feb 27, 2007 2:38 pm

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Sat Nov 05, 2011 9:53 am

Jesse Hendrix-Inman wrote:I
It looked like the bartenders were using ipads for all orders. You order everything at the bar, then find a table and they bring you your food.

Excellent! I'd be interested in knowing more about that.
User

David R. Pierce

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 1:02 pm

by David R. Pierce » Sat Nov 05, 2011 11:06 am

Matthew Crow wrote:Just curious what size pours at what prices.

Wondering what this question might mean?
Cheers,
David R. Pierce
The Original BBC Brewmaster
Bluegrass Brewing Co.
St. Matthews branch
Craft Brewing Louisville continuously since 1992
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Sat Nov 05, 2011 11:30 am

David R. Pierce wrote:

What it means literally? That seems clear. "How many ounces per serving, and how much do you pay for it?"

Or do you mean what existential philosophy lies behind the question? That might be more complicated.
User

Joel Halblieb

{ RANK }

Foodie

Tue Oct 30, 2007 8:59 pm

Metaphysicalcenteroftheuniverse

by Joel Halblieb » Sat Nov 05, 2011 12:13 pm

I hear this place is not supporting local breweries on purpose. Interesting aproach. To bad they will be missing out on the freshest beer in town. I will not be going out of my way. Good luck.
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Sat Nov 05, 2011 12:40 pm

Joel Halblieb wrote:I hear this place is not supporting local breweries on purpose. Interesting approach.

Seriously? Any idea what that's about? No Kentucky Proud food products either, then?
User

Matthew Landan

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 29, 2007 5:17 pm

331 East Market Street

by Matthew Landan » Sat Nov 05, 2011 2:44 pm

Robin is spot on. Just always curious what bars are charging for their beers on tap. I vary the price of my pour based on the size and cost per gallon. I offer beers in 14, 12 and 10oz pours (depending on the beer) - so for example I sell a 14oz glass of Schlafly Black IPA or Brooklyn IPA or BBC Saison for $5, but I would sell a 12oz pour of Goose Island Fleur or Ommegang Belgian Pale Ale for $6. A 10oz pour of Unibroue Terrible or Lindemans Framboise would cost $8.

Robin Garr wrote:
David R. Pierce wrote:

What it means literally? That seems clear. "How many ounces per serving, and how much do you pay for it?"

Or do you mean what existential philosophy lies behind the question? That might be more complicated.
Owner
Haymarket
331 E. Market St.

Since I came down from Oregon, there's a lesson or two I've learned
Oh, oh the Pride of Cucamonga, of, of silver apples in the sun,
Yes, it's me, I'm the Pride of Cucamonga, I can see golden forests in the sun.
User

David R. Pierce

{ RANK }

Foodie

by David R. Pierce » Sat Nov 05, 2011 3:22 pm

Matthew Crow wrote:Robin is spot on. Just always curious what bars are charging for their beers on tap. I vary the price of my pour based on the size and cost per gallon. I offer beers in 14, 12 and 10oz pours (depending on the beer) - so for example I sell a 14oz glass of Schlafly Black IPA or Brooklyn IPA or BBC Saison for $5, but I would sell a 12oz pour of Goose Island Fleur or Ommegang Belgian Pale Ale for $6. A 10oz pour of Unibroue Terrible or Lindemans Framboise would cost $8.

Thanks Matt. I thought maybe the venue had a history of over charging.
Cheers,
David R. Pierce
Bluegrass Brewing Co.
St. Matthews branch
User

David R. Pierce

{ RANK }

Foodie

by David R. Pierce » Sat Nov 05, 2011 3:24 pm

Joel Halblieb wrote:I hear this place is not supporting local breweries on purpose. Interesting aproach. To bad they will be missing out on the freshest beer in town. I will not be going out of my way. Good luck.

I never could understand this philosophy of local not supporting local.
Cheers,
David R. Pierce
Bluegrass Brewing Co.
St. Matthews branch
no avatar
User

Brian Curl

by Brian Curl » Sat Nov 05, 2011 5:19 pm

Or, maybe it's not such a bad idea to not produce profits and increase market share for direct competitors.

Robin Garr wrote:
Joel Halblieb wrote:I hear this place is not supporting local breweries on purpose. Interesting approach.

Seriously? Any idea what that's about? No Kentucky Proud food products either, then?
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Sat Nov 05, 2011 5:20 pm

Brian Curl wrote:Or, maybe it's not such a bad idea to not produce profits and increase market share for direct competitors.

There's that MBA thinking again ... :lol:
no avatar
User

Brian Curl

by Brian Curl » Sat Nov 05, 2011 5:39 pm

Wait for me - Sheep have a strong instinct to follow the sheep in front of them. When one sheep decides to go somewhere the rest of the flock usually follows, even if it is not a good "decision." For example, sheep will follow each other to slaughter. If one sheep jumps over a cliff, the others are likely to follow.
User

Shane Campbell

{ RANK }

In Time Out Room

Sun Apr 17, 2011 10:08 pm

Hoosierville

by Shane Campbell » Sat Nov 05, 2011 7:02 pm

One of things I've always found astounding and admirable about NABC Pizzeria/Richo's is that even though NABC is a prolific brewer of beer RB consistently provides one of the best selections of other brewer's beers to be found in the area.

One might think that supplying your competition's product is a questionable business practice. On the other hand, maybe if your product is good enough it doesn't matter. If you provide a lot of options you potentially bring in new customers looking for something different. When they come in to try the newest quadruple imperial stout brewed with artichoke hearts and lamb kidneys they order your food and try your beers too. Your beers become the standard by which others are judged. That new beer from BF Egypt likely won't be around for long but your products will.

I'm not intrigued anymore by an array of exotically sourced beers that probably won't be around for long even if I do like them. If I find a beer I like, I want to be able to drink it when I want it. I can do that at NABC, BBC, Cumberland, and now ATG. I won't patronize a place that refuses to supply local products.
I'm a bitter drinker....I just prefer it that way
Next