Welcome to the Louisville Restaurants Forum, a civil place for the intelligent discussion of the local restaurant scene and just about any other topic related to food and drink in and around Louisville.

Comfy Cow opening in Clifton today

no avatar
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Tue Feb 27, 2007 2:38 pm

Crescent Hill

Re: Comfy Cow opening in Clifton today

by Robin Garr » Tue Nov 01, 2011 3:02 pm

Interesting that Insider Louisville summarized this thread with no effort to contact anyone involved.

I've talked by Email or in person with both Adam and Tim now. I think this will probably blow over, and I think even the gang at Insider Louisville was right on their bottom line: This will ultimately help both places.

"Catty chatty," though? That's not really our style. :lol:
no avatar
User

JustinHammond

{ RANK }

Foodie

Wed Jul 09, 2008 6:26 pm

Lyndon, KY 40222

by JustinHammond » Tue Nov 01, 2011 3:05 pm

Robin Garr wrote:
I've talked by Email or in person with both Adam and Tim now.

Any insight from Tim on the customer poaching mascot?
"The idea is to eat well and not die from it-for the simple reason that that would be the end of your eating." - Jim Harrison

https://www.facebook.com/Louisville-Eat ... 129849554/
no avatar
User

Steve P

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sun Sep 23, 2007 10:18 pm

by Steve P » Tue Nov 01, 2011 3:21 pm

Robin Garr wrote:

:? ....I dunno Robin, thinking back over this and some of the other recent dessert drama episodes, not to mention a few of the historic Your-screaming-kid-got-craft-beer-on-my-locavore-farmers-market-pizza-so-I'm-not-going-to-tip-20%-and-instead-just-run-off-and-eat-cheese-offa-food-truck-on-my-way-to-Trader-Joe's-Threads....The term "Catty chatty" kinda resonates. Just sayin'.
Stevie P...The Daddio of the Patio
no avatar
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Tue Nov 01, 2011 3:24 pm

JustinHammond wrote:
Robin Garr wrote:
I've talked by Email or in person with both Adam and Tim now.

Any insight from Tim on the customer poaching mascot?

Yeah, but our conversation was informational, off the record and not to be used for a news story or anything of that sort.

I think it's okay for me to say, though, that it was an enthusiastic, young, worker carrying out a bad idea that he thought would be a good idea. I'm told that appropriate apologies have been made and accepted.

It should also perhaps be noted that Comfy Cow did not have any "coupons" or brochures or fliers to pass out; only cow logo stickers.
no avatar
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Tue Nov 01, 2011 3:28 pm

Steve P wrote: Just sayin'.

Garage logic?

When we don't censor much, Steve, people talk about what they want to. Works for me. :)
no avatar
User

Matthew D

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sun Jun 22, 2008 11:22 am

No Longer Old Louisville

by Matthew D » Tue Nov 01, 2011 3:30 pm

Robin Garr wrote:

Interesting that Insider Louisville summarized this thread with no effort to contact anyone involved.

I've talked by Email or in person with both Adam and Tim now. I think this will probably blow over, and I think even the gang at Insider Louisville was right on their bottom line: This will ultimately help both places.

Do you mean the people involved as in the posters or the people involved as in the actual owners?

I know you and I have talked about this topic before - that being the quoting of board material. I'm thinking you mean the actual owners and not us chatty people...
Thinks the frosty mug is the low point in American history.
no avatar
User

Matthew D

{ RANK }

Foodie

No Longer Old Louisville

by Matthew D » Tue Nov 01, 2011 3:32 pm

The true Amerikan solution to this is for all patrons to agree to have a cone from Homemade followed by a cone from Comfy Cow DAILY. Do that for a few years, become morbidly obese, and then sue both establishments.
no avatar
User

Steve H

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Apr 17, 2008 12:27 pm

Neanderthals rock!

by Steve H » Tue Nov 01, 2011 3:34 pm

Robin Garr wrote:I think it's okay for me to say, though, that it was an enthusiastic, young, worker carrying out a bad idea that he thought would be a good idea.

8)
no avatar
User

Bill P

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sat Mar 15, 2008 9:20 am

Depauw, IN

by Bill P » Tue Nov 01, 2011 3:35 pm

I sent the insider link to my Mom. She will be so proud that for the first time ever I made the "news" and it didn't involve the police blotter.
no avatar
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Tue Nov 01, 2011 3:40 pm

Matthew D wrote:Do you mean the people involved as in the posters or the people involved as in the actual owners?

Both, really, Matthew. To be honest, when I posted I was thinking about contacting the principals as a matter of journalism; but now that you mention it, picking up forum posts and republishing them without contacting the posters isn't really admirable. It's arguably permissible under "fair use," but going the extra mile to contact each poster would have gone the extra mile - and might have yielded even better quotes. :)
no avatar
User

Matthew D

{ RANK }

Foodie

No Longer Old Louisville

by Matthew D » Tue Nov 01, 2011 3:50 pm

Robin Garr wrote:
Matthew D wrote:Do you mean the people involved as in the posters or the people involved as in the actual owners?

Both, really, Matthew. To be honest, when I posted I was thinking about contacting the principals as a matter of journalism; but now that you mention it, picking up forum posts and republishing them without contacting the posters isn't really admirable. It's arguably permissible under "fair use," but going the extra mile to contact each poster would have gone the extra mile - and might have yielded even better quotes. :)

I agree 100%, as I've said previously.

The whole practice does give me some pause about my participation in the public record. I'm fine knowing my posts are public. I don't know if I am fine knowing that a journalist can do lazy (and that's what it is) journalism by cherry-picking a discussion forum.

The CJ did this yesterday with their Ear-X-Tacy story - took a customer quote from Ear-X-Tacy's facebook page instead of going out and getting an original, on-the-record opinion.

Having been guilty for sending the thread down the Adam Smith trail, I'm hoping not to do that again. Ice Cream I say! Everyday! From both companies!
no avatar
User

Steve P

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sun Sep 23, 2007 10:18 pm

by Steve P » Tue Nov 01, 2011 3:51 pm

Robin Garr wrote:
Steve P wrote: Just sayin'.

Garage logic?

When we don't censor much, Steve, people talk about what they want to. Works for me. :)

No worries Food Dude. My comment was simply an observation built on a foundation of very broad generalizations that I came up with whilst tinkering in the garage. I think that most of us ( Even Brian :lol:) appreciate the to-a-large-extent-we-don't-censor....much....approach. It makes for an interesting place to hang out.

edited for clarity
Last edited by Steve P on Tue Nov 01, 2011 9:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Stevie P...The Daddio of the Patio
no avatar
User

JustinHammond

{ RANK }

Foodie

Wed Jul 09, 2008 6:26 pm

Lyndon, KY 40222

by JustinHammond » Tue Nov 01, 2011 4:58 pm

A few of my favorite quotes from the lazy ass "article" or otherwise a summary of the silliness.

explaining in a 794-word reply to the nattering nabobs of negativism

Garr, however, wasn’t leaving it alone

Burckle bristled at this comment and answered with a symbolic pie to Garr’s face

despite some of the untrue claims Garr has made about my work in the past

makes some of LHB’s regular raconteurs look even more ridiculous than usual—were that possible. Could they possibly … I have to ask … have mad cow disease?
"The idea is to eat well and not die from it-for the simple reason that that would be the end of your eating." - Jim Harrison

https://www.facebook.com/Louisville-Eat ... 129849554/
no avatar
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Tue Nov 01, 2011 5:00 pm

Matthew D wrote: some pause about my participation in the public record. I'm fine knowing my posts are public.

Bear in mind, too, that I've compromised my "real names" principle to the extent of allowing first name, last initial as an option, and no one can track your host IP number. There are an awful lot of Matthew D's out there. :)
no avatar
User

Matthew D

{ RANK }

Foodie

No Longer Old Louisville

by Matthew D » Tue Nov 01, 2011 5:09 pm

Robin Garr wrote:
Matthew D wrote: some pause about my participation in the public record. I'm fine knowing my posts are public.

Bear in mind, too, that I've compromised my "real names" principle to the extent of allowing first name, last initial as an option, and no one can track your host IP number. There are an awful lot of Matthew D's out there. :)

My parents always told me I was unique. That uniqueness obviously starts with the first name "Matthew." :lol:
PreviousNext