Welcome to the Louisville Restaurants Forum, a civil place for the intelligent discussion of the local restaurant scene and just about any other topic related to food and drink in and around Louisville.

Comfy Cow opening in Clifton today

no avatar
User

Mike D

{ RANK }

Foodie

Tue Nov 17, 2009 3:29 pm

Re: Comfy Cow opening in Clifton today

by Mike D » Wed Oct 26, 2011 3:48 pm

Robin Garr wrote: I think they're probably going to wipe out HIC&PK at that location.

While I'm glad to have Comfy Cow in the neighborhood (Robin, my walk is about the same length as yours), we're not really big ice cream eaters. Cake is our weakness. I've never been a fan of HIC&PK - Sweet Surrender gets our dessert business currently, and I doubt that will change much.
no avatar
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Tue Feb 27, 2007 2:38 pm

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Wed Oct 26, 2011 4:12 pm

Mike D wrote:... we're not really big ice cream eaters. Cake is our weakness. I've never been a fan of HIC&PK - Sweet Surrender gets our dessert business currently, and I doubt that will change much.

Very good point, Mike! Sweet Surrender makes awesome desserts. In the excitement about the new competition, I overlooked the existing field.
no avatar
User

Christina Firriolo

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sat Feb 27, 2010 8:39 pm

by Christina Firriolo » Wed Oct 26, 2011 9:26 pm

Comfy Cow used to have some cheesecake that was just slightly not as good as mine, but I haven't seen that in a while.

Their chess bars are to die for! I dream of them!

They're brownies are amazing! (especially if you eat them in one of their sundaes!)

Homemade pie and ice cream kitchen makes a very nice Italian Cream cake, but there's a lady on this board (I'm sorry, I don't remember her name) who supplies Paul's with cakes and other goodies and her Italian Cream cake is the best I've had. *YUM*

Comfy Cow's ice cream is amazing as well.

This was all just to say, I think HICPK is gonna have a hard time competing with CC.
"Wine is sunlight, held together by water!" ~Galileo Gallilei
no avatar
User

Marsha L.

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 2:56 pm

Louisville, KY

by Marsha L. » Thu Oct 27, 2011 3:26 pm

Christina Hall wrote:there's a lady on this board (I'm sorry, I don't remember her name) who supplies Paul's with cakes and other goodies and her Italian Cream cake is the best I've had. *YUM*

That's Andrea Essenpreis, of Q & A Sweet Treats in LaGrange. :D

*edited to spell Andrea's surname correctly, grrr
Marsha Lynch
LEO columnist, free range cook/food writer/food stylist
no avatar
User

Christina Firriolo

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sat Feb 27, 2010 8:39 pm

by Christina Firriolo » Thu Oct 27, 2011 6:06 pm

Marsha L. wrote:
Christina Hall wrote:there's a lady on this board (I'm sorry, I don't remember her name) who supplies Paul's with cakes and other goodies and her Italian Cream cake is the best I've had. *YUM*

That's Andrea Essenpreis, of Q & A Sweet Treats in LaGrange. :D

*edited to spell Andrea's surname correctly, grrr

Ok, well let me just say that Andrea Essenpreis, of Q & A Sweet Treats in LaGrange rocks!!!
"Wine is sunlight, held together by water!" ~Galileo Gallilei
no avatar
User

Gayle DeM

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sun Apr 08, 2007 3:42 pm

by Gayle DeM » Thu Oct 27, 2011 8:06 pm

Andrea rocks and she rolls and even more than that!
"I didn't fight my way to the top of the food chain to be a vegetarian" -Erma Bombeck
no avatar
User

Andrea E

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 2:15 pm

La Grange, KY

by Andrea E » Thu Oct 27, 2011 8:48 pm

blushing :)

Thanks Christina, Marsha and Gayle. You rock, too!

I can't wait until we get our store in La Grange open next month, because that will be a walk that would work some calories off! Better tell Mary to dust off her sneakers, Robin, or perhaps you need to renew your passport to leave Jefferson Co. :lol:
Q&A Sweet Treats Bakery & Dessert Cafe
211 South First Street
La Grange, KY 40031
502-265-0550
www.qasweettreats.com
no avatar
User

Adam B

{ RANK }

Foodie

Tue May 27, 2008 8:26 am

by Adam B » Sun Oct 30, 2011 10:17 am

Robin Garr wrote:They really got the new building up fast over the Superfund Site that had been the former Genny's. :lol:

I'm sure the guys are proud that they got open before the new Homemade Ice Cream and Pie Kitchen that decided to open across the street.

I ran into co-owner Tim at Heine's the other day, and he mentioned - with a big wink - that this Comfy Cow will be the only one in town that has homemade pies and cakes. :lol: I think they're probably going to wipe out HIC&PK at that location.

Robin, let me set the rumors correct and address this, since it seems my business is the target of some incorrect information. Back in 2006 shortly after opening our second store, I realized, from so many customer requests, that the Pie Kitchen had an opportunity to bring small bakery and ice cream shops back to neighborhoods throughout our community.

Around this time, I started looking in Clifton for another location, the first site was where Shiraz is today, the second is the white service station on the corner of Frankfort Ave across from The Grape Leaf. I actually made an offer and plans were laid out to open a store. At that time, 2007, Ginny's was still in business and Comfy Cow had not started even their first location.

After a bit of time this fell through, though I was able to enter into a contract to buy the Long Shot Tavern and their property. The owner and I entered into an agreement that included a non-disclosure agreement as he did not want his patrons to know he was selling. As well I wanted time to work through Landmarks, the Clifton Preservation group and more.

A bit after that time I hired Steve Wiser, JRA Architects, and head of the Louisville Historical Society. This was before Comfy Cow purchased the Ginny's property, though due to our agreement it could not be disclosed. It took a long time to work out all of the restoration details and plans, if you stop in you'll see why.

As you know, I am very involved in the community, donating the historic carousel to the Zoo, saving the Louisville Clock, saving the Hogan's Fountain Tee Pee Pavilion and more. So to save this building, built in 1884, was important to me as well coming to Clifton as I have been a business owner in Clifton since 2006, this is my second business in Clifton.

Needless to say I had the property under contract before Ginny's closed and was already in the process for a new Pie Kitchen. These facts can be confirmed by Steve Wiser as well the owner of the Burnett building across from The Grape Leaf, plus all of the real estate agents I dealt with to name a few. The rumors saying I did this as a result of Comfy Cow are unfounded and without basis.

As well did you know that 12 months ago we started a master bakers program with our bakers and to this date have certified 4 of our bakers to this level. As well we are working to qualify every baker to this standard. The end result is the presentation and quality are superb, something we are proud of.

In addition for 2 years we have been working with Steve Gurley, the president of Dean's on a project to become the first ice cream maker in our region to buy 100% from local and regional dairy farmers and making our ice cream from 40% buttercream and 100% from scratch, no mixes or blends. We should be the first to use only 40% butterfat (the highest butter fat level), and to support local and regional dairy farmers making our ice cream 100% from scratch.

I had 2 customers come to our new store this weekend. One from Columbus Ohio, one from Michigan. in so many words, both said when they moved here they were recommended to visit our store and ever since they have found a place that has made them feel welcome to Louisville and has held a found memory for them.

I am disappointed to see the rumors, and that no one ever asked to hear our side. Further I am disappointed to see comments such as we will be wiped out at a specific location and that we did this as a result of Comfy Cow. I have grown from 20 employees to over 160. I pay good wages, offer full benefits and strongly support my community. I would hope all locals would support all local businesses and not choose sides.

I welcome Comfy Cow and have praise for their success as I understand the work to do so starting at 21 with my first bakery and celebrating my 28th year of doing so. Our cakes, through my Adam Matthews bakery, can now be found not only throughout the US, as well in England, Japan, and soon South America. As well I am extremely proud of what I have achieved and what our staff has meant for Louisville and our community. So I know first hand how hard it is and I am proud to see others with equal success.

Thanks for giving me this opportunity to address the comments.

Adam Burckle, Owner Homemade Ice Cream & Pie Kitchen.
no avatar
User

Brian Curl

by Brian Curl » Sun Oct 30, 2011 10:59 am

Well stated Adam. You should be commended for growing this business and delivering a great product.

Living in Fern Creek, we are glad to have the Pie Kitchen in our neighborhood and every time I stop in the store is consistently busy.
no avatar
User

Deb Hall

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sun Mar 04, 2007 4:46 pm

Highlands , Louisville

by Deb Hall » Sun Oct 30, 2011 11:03 am

Welcome to the Hotbytes Forum, Adam!

Loved your very classy and factual posting- thanks for setting the record straight. Being a transplant to the area, I didn't know your ownership of Adam Matthews or the story of your business growth. What a great local success story!

All the best-
Deb
no avatar
User

Bill P

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sat Mar 15, 2008 9:20 am

Depauw, IN

by Bill P » Sun Oct 30, 2011 11:33 am

Adam-

A very classy and informative post.

Adam B wrote:I pay good wages, offer full benefits and strongly support my community.

Bravo. I have never been in any of your businesses, but this alone will earn a visit next time I'm over your way.
no avatar
User

Alison Hanover

{ RANK }

Foodie

Tue Apr 22, 2008 2:27 pm

by Alison Hanover » Sun Oct 30, 2011 11:45 am

Classy post Adam.
Alison Hanover
no avatar
User

Dawn Bianconcini

{ RANK }

Foodie

Wed Mar 16, 2011 3:12 pm

by Dawn Bianconcini » Sun Oct 30, 2011 1:30 pm

Well said Adam. As a 20 plus year Clifton resident and 2 year emplyee of Volare, I'm excited to have such class acts in our neighborhood. The more the merrier! We all win! You've done an amazing job on your renovation.
My family is a huge fan of the upside down caramel cupcakes, look forward to having one soon :P
[url]www.volare-restaurant.com
[/url]
no avatar
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Tue Feb 27, 2007 2:38 pm

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Sun Oct 30, 2011 2:30 pm

I too thank Adam for his post. I do think that a little more intentional effort to clarify this beforehand, based on the reality that the situation, viewed from outside, could not help but appear mighty competitive, would probably have resolved some of the confusion before it occurred.

But I'll certainly agree that both operations are local and quality and deserve support. :)
no avatar
User

Adam B

{ RANK }

Foodie

Tue May 27, 2008 8:26 am

by Adam B » Sun Oct 30, 2011 3:50 pm

Thanks for taking the time to read the facts and for the compliments.

The rumors, assumptions and quick judgment has upset many of our employees who depend upon our success. Being able to clarify the rumors is greatly appreciated.

Please stop by today and see what we have accomplished to this fine historic building, enjoy a glass of wine, or a craft beer with your dessert today. Mon-Sat enjoy a liquor ice cream drink on our patio as well. The fireplace is lit as well it is a beautiful day. Hope to see you there!

Adam B.
PreviousNext