Welcome to the Louisville Restaurants Forum, a civil place for the intelligent discussion of the local restaurant scene and just about any other topic related to food and drink in and around Louisville.
User

Brad Young

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sun Jul 31, 2011 10:36 am

Re: Comfy Cow opening in Clifton today

by Brad Young » Sun Oct 30, 2011 6:02 pm

I see no reason for Adam to have addressed it earlier. It seems as soon as he saw the conclusions some on this forum were jumping to, he addressed it in a classy way. I wonder if the members of this forum realize how much they influence many people in this community, many more than are members of this forum, as to where to dine. Jumping to such harsh conclusions on this forum could have potentially damaged Adam's business and reputation. Adam, you are a class act and we'll be checking you out after dinner tonight.

Just my 2 cents..... :)
Brad Young
General Manager
Captain's Quarters Riverside Grille
502-228-1651
https://www.facebook.com/CQRiverside/
User

Bill P

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sat Mar 15, 2008 9:20 am

Depauw, IN

by Bill P » Sun Oct 30, 2011 6:31 pm

Brad Young wrote:I see no reason for Adam to have addressed it earlier.

Nor do I.
User

Mark Head

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sun Oct 28, 2007 10:44 pm

Prospect

by Mark Head » Sun Oct 30, 2011 8:53 pm

Bill P wrote:
Brad Young wrote:I see no reason for Adam to have addressed it earlier.

Nor do I.

I'm very impressed with Adams post. Clearly he didn't owe this forum such a comprehensive explanation.
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Tue Feb 27, 2007 2:38 pm

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Sun Oct 30, 2011 10:40 pm

Brad Young wrote:I see no reason for Adam to have addressed it earlier. It seems as soon as he saw the conclusions some on this forum were jumping to, he addressed it in a classy way. I wonder if the members of this forum realize how much they influence many people in this community, many more than are members of this forum, as to where to dine. Jumping to such harsh conclusions on this forum could have potentially damaged Adam's business and reputation. Adam, you are a class act and we'll be checking you out after dinner tonight.

Just my 2 cents..... :)

Thanks for your 2¢, Brad. I do think you and Mark and Bill are missing my point, though. I didn't demand that Adam address anything. I'm simply saying that the fact of the matter is that these rumors were widespread, not just on the forum; and that if HIC&PK had thought to anticipate the rather obvious conclusions that people would draw from the APPEARANCE that they were rushing in to compete, they could have forestalled that by speaking up early and often, here and elsewhere.

By simply moving ahead without saying anything, they left a vacuum for gossip to fill. They could have prevented that by being more informative sooner.
User

Christina Firriolo

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sat Feb 27, 2010 8:39 pm

by Christina Firriolo » Mon Oct 31, 2011 12:06 am

We will definitely have to try the Boston Cream Pie mentioned. That happens to be one of John's favorites! (and you know...if it's here and all...well...) :wink: :lol:
"Wine is sunlight, held together by water!" ~Galileo Gallilei
User

Bill P

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sat Mar 15, 2008 9:20 am

Depauw, IN

by Bill P » Mon Oct 31, 2011 8:54 am

Robin Garr wrote: I do think you and Mark and Bill are missing my point, though.

Robin-

I understand your point completely, but simply don't agree with you on this one. Adam had some legitimate legal/business reasons to not be more forthcoming as mentioned in his post. Also, I can't blame any business person for being reluctant to disclose future plans until things are ready to go. Sometimes things go awry at the last minute and if you've been tootin' your horn all over town, then you leave yourself open to criticism (with or with a wink} from competitors and those niinnies who specialize in speculation and gossip without any facts. I can't speak specifically to the F&B industry, but every industry I've been involved with had its own set of challenges and opportunities associated with expansion and each enterprise is entitled to face these challenges and opportunities in a manner consistent with their passion. Adam has a business model that has apparently served him well for 28 years.

I wish both enterprises success. May it be a win/win situation as opposed to an either/or.
no avatar
User

Adam B

{ RANK }

Foodie

Tue May 27, 2008 8:26 am

by Adam B » Mon Oct 31, 2011 12:17 pm

Robin Garr wrote: Thanks for your 2¢, Brad. I do think you and Mark and Bill are missing my point, though. I didn't demand that Adam address anything. I'm simply saying that the fact of the matter is that these rumors were widespread, not just on the forum; and that if HIC&PK had thought to anticipate the rather obvious conclusions that people would draw from the APPEARANCE that they were rushing in to compete, they could have forestalled that by speaking up early and often, here and elsewhere.

By simply moving ahead without saying anything, they left a vacuum for gossip to fill. They could have prevented that by being more informative sooner.

Robin please let me address this further with some better clarity on my behalf:

"They could have prevented that by being more informative sooner", I could not be informative sooner since, as I noted, I had a non disclosure agreement to "not" discuss the purchase or it would have violated my contract. The rumors started before the non-disclosure agreement was lifted.

"if HIC&PK had thought to anticipate the rather obvious conclusions that people would draw from the APPEARANCE" I never saw that one coming. I have a store near Graeter's, Phlen's, Kroger and more and never heard a word. Businesses open near each other all the time. Look at Baxter Ave with Irish bars. Volare and Varanese, El Mundo and Sol Aztecas. Why should either one of these two new Clifton businesses be held to a different standard?

I personally feel it is not the responsibly of someone to be proactive or ward off rumors. I feel it is the responsibility of the person spreading rumors not to do so. Though once a rumor is started in today's environment it is hard to address with the internet as it spreads like a virus.

I ask that everyone remember there are two sides to every story. It's like a divorce to hear only one side of the story and to repeat that line is harmful as it serves only one party.

I am always accessible and welcome the opportunity to address anything before it becomes public commentary or worse yet public rumor. It can be as simple as a text, email or phone call.

I had an employee call me about your comment on your post "I ran into co-owner Tim at Heine's the other day, and he mentioned - with a big wink - that this Comfy Cow will be the only one in town that has homemade pies and cakes. I think they're probably going to wipe out HIC&PK at that location.". The employee was very upset as she has worked for us for years and asked what would happen to her job and should she be concerned. "I think they're probably going to wipe out HIC&PK at that location." That is a strong statement and similar to what I have been defending. It shows me people have taken sides based on a false rumor.

As well on our soft opening Friday night I had a competitors mascot come into our Clifton store and hand out fliers for their store to our customers. Another person walked up asked for the owner, they said they heard we did this with ill intent, they then proceeded to ask why I would open up across the street purposely, without allowing me to fully answer and let them know we had the building under contract well before they left. Also on Saturday I had two young high school age girls walk by our store negatively gesturing us and then walk across the street. There is a lot to address.

As for addressing the rumors I am addressing the rumors and other issues, it has been a slow task as I have had my hands full with restoring a historic building and opening a new store. I hope those who have heard the rumors now take the opportunity to let people know, as Paul Harvey would say, "the rest of the story".

I leave this past weekend behind, disappointed in the rumors, actions and more and what all this has become. I strongly believe in our community and I hope to move on beyond this, though frankly I wouldn't wish it upon anyone.

I just hope people learn to seek both sides before jumping to conclusions, as it is not the responsibly of someone to ward off rumors. It is the responsibility of the person spreading rumors not to do so.
no avatar
User

Matthew D

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sun Jun 22, 2008 11:22 am

No Longer Old Louisville

by Matthew D » Mon Oct 31, 2011 12:43 pm

Adam, I find your responses to be really informative, fair, and enlightening. I'm not sure I'd have your even tone if I were in your situation.

My general response to this situation - the competition, the rumors, the sides - is, "That's capitalism."
Thinks the frosty mug is the low point in American history.
no avatar
User

Derrick Dones

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Aug 13, 2007 11:02 am

by Derrick Dones » Mon Oct 31, 2011 1:39 pm

Very well stated Adam...and actually supported with facts!

Hopefully Clifton will support both these quality ice cream spots.

It will be interesting to see how the board responds to this...seeing as Coomfy Cow is somewaht of a "board-darling." Robin, would you now saw that CC is the business being a bit "pushy?"

DD
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Mon Oct 31, 2011 2:17 pm

Derrick Dones wrote:It will be interesting to see how the board responds to this...seeing as Coomfy Cow is somewaht of a "board-darling." Robin, would you now saw that CC is the business being a bit "pushy?"

The mascot coming in with fliers sounds pushy, yes.

I think the best thing that could happen would be for Adam and Tim or Roy to sit down over a cup of coffee or a dish of ice cream and try to mend things and figure out a graceful way they could all work together.

And then let us know what they came up with. 8)
User

JustinHammond

{ RANK }

Foodie

Wed Jul 09, 2008 6:26 pm

Lyndon, KY 40222

by JustinHammond » Mon Oct 31, 2011 2:29 pm

Robin Garr wrote: The mascot coming in with fliers sounds pushy, yes.

I see that as more than pushy; it is unprofessional and disrespectful. I'd really like to hear from The Cow's camp on this one.
"The idea is to eat well and not die from it-for the simple reason that that would be the end of your eating." - Jim Harrison

https://www.facebook.com/Louisville-Eat ... 129849554/
User

Steve H

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Apr 17, 2008 12:27 pm

Neanderthals rock!

by Steve H » Mon Oct 31, 2011 2:39 pm

Matthew D wrote:My general response to this situation - the competition, the rumors, the sides - is, "That's capitalism."

Petty human behavior, and virtue, is not correlated with the economic system in which it occurs.

The only conclusion you can safely draw is: "There be assholes".

I blame the educational system! :lol:
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Mon Oct 31, 2011 2:51 pm

Steve H wrote:Petty human behavior, and virtue, is not correlated with the economic system in which it occurs.

But capitalism tends to be teleological ... 8)
User

Ron H

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Aug 26, 2011 12:10 pm

by Ron H » Mon Oct 31, 2011 2:55 pm

I like the desserts etc. at Homemade Pie more than I've liked the cookies/brownies at Comfy Cow. There, I said it!
"I like rice. Rice is great if you're hungry and want 2000 of something." - Mitch Hedberg
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Mon Oct 31, 2011 4:45 pm

annemarie m wrote:sounds like the cow is desperate. tacky, unprofessional and downright how low will this cow go.
for that reason i will continue my support to homemade ice cream&pie kitchen.

This isn't really about the ice cream, is it? :shock:
PreviousNext