Welcome to the Louisville Restaurants Forum, a civil place for the intelligent discussion of the local restaurant scene and just about any other topic related to food and drink in and around Louisville.

Luna Mercato

no avatar
User

John R.

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Mar 05, 2007 11:29 am

Old Lousiville

Luna Mercato

by John R. » Wed Oct 03, 2007 12:29 pm

Has anyone tried their favorites from this place since the new ownership? I have and for my particular favorite they have not quite got it right. The Med goat cheese used to be full of big chunks of sun dried tomatoes and had a strong garlic flavor. Not so much anymore. Now it has like a few tiny pieces of sun dried tomatoes and whole cloves of roasted garlic which have no flavor and the whole dip tastes like goat cheese. I like goat cheese but I want the med dip. I am too apprehensive to try the other stuff. I will continue to make it on my own now. Sad to say it but mine is better than the new Luna's.
Im not a food"ie", I am a food"er".
no avatar
User

Amy Hoover

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 12:27 pm

Butchertown

by Amy Hoover » Wed Oct 03, 2007 12:34 pm

I've been meaning to try them. The Mediterranean Goat Cheese was one of my favorites, but I can see how one could err on the side of too little of some of the ingredients and too much of others. I guess I'll skip the goat cheese one now and probably try the Gouda Pecan or Feta Dill.
“Fear less, hope more; Eat less, chew more; Whine less, breathe more; Talk less, say more; Love more, and all good things will be yours”

Swedish Proverb
no avatar
User

Deb Hall

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sun Mar 04, 2007 4:46 pm

Highlands , Louisville

by Deb Hall » Wed Oct 03, 2007 5:25 pm

John,

I love the Med Goat Cheese too! I haven't tried it lately but it could just be a production process change in that one batch. I know Town & Country Foods (Steve Hayden) bought the recipe from Ed and they are made by Shuckmans according to the original recipes.

I'm sure this is good feedback for them. But I wouldn't hesitate to try them again, Shuckman's makes a great product and it could be just a one-time thing.

Deb
Last edited by Deb Hall on Mon Oct 08, 2007 9:46 am, edited 1 time in total.
no avatar
User

John R.

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Mar 05, 2007 11:29 am

Old Lousiville

by John R. » Thu Oct 04, 2007 11:49 am

Deb Hall wrote:John,

I love the Med Goat Cheese too! I haven't tried it lately but it could just be a production process change in that one batch. I know Town & Country Foods (Steve Headen) bought the recipe from Ed and they are made by Shuckmans according to the original recipes.

I'm sure this is good feedback for them. But I wouldn't hesitate to try them again, Shuckman's makes a great product and it could be just a one-time thing.

Deb

You are on to me. That's why I posted. I had an agenda to try and get the info back to the producers and to see if it is a trend. I have bought from another batch, I guess it is based on the label being different and it was a few weeks later, and it hasn't changed. Still skimpy with the garlic flavor and sundried tomatoes.
Im not a food"ie", I am a food"er".
no avatar
User

Beth K.

{ RANK }

Foodie

Wed May 23, 2007 2:18 pm

by Beth K. » Thu Oct 04, 2007 11:54 am

"Ain't nothin' like the real thing, baby!"
no avatar
User

Lewis Shuckman

{ RANK }

Just got here

Mon Aug 27, 2007 8:19 am

3001 West Main St.

Luna Mercato

by Lewis Shuckman » Mon Oct 08, 2007 8:10 am

Deb,
I appreciate the compliments in regards to Shuckman's products. However, Luna Mercato is not made at Shuckmans.
Lewis Shuckman
no avatar
User

Marsha L.

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 2:56 pm

Louisville, KY

by Marsha L. » Mon Oct 08, 2007 2:38 pm

On the other hand - Lewis makes some unbelievable smoked salmon - I know for sure!!
no avatar
User

Deb Hall

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sun Mar 04, 2007 4:46 pm

Highlands , Louisville

by Deb Hall » Mon Oct 08, 2007 3:56 pm

And really wonderful smoked trout! We were getting some pecan-smoked trout in from Atlanta and then we tasted Shuckman's - and switched immediately. Wonderful local production!

Deb
no avatar
User

Steve Shade

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Mar 02, 2007 10:53 am

by Steve Shade » Mon Oct 08, 2007 5:32 pm

Marsha L. wrote:On the other hand - Lewis makes some unbelievable smoked salmon - I know for sure!!

Also has Kentucky caviar. Spoonfish roe.