Welcome to the Louisville Restaurants Forum, a civil place for the intelligent discussion of the local restaurant scene and just about any other topic related to food and drink in and around Louisville.

Bad experience at Bistro 301

no avatar
User

Ryan G.

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 12:59 pm

Bad experience at Bistro 301

by Ryan G. » Thu Mar 15, 2007 2:57 pm

Thought I’d relay the bad experience at Bistro 301 I just had. A friend and I decided to have lunch there today (March 15). I arrived at 11:53 AM. The person (later identified as the owner) at the reception stand took my name and said the wait would be about twenty minutes. My companion arrived a few minutes later, and we waited two seats away from the reception stand. At 12:15, I walked up to the stand to check on the status of our table. The person (still the owner) said he called my name a few minutes earlier. He said after my name, he also called out a “Brian” that was seated next to me. There was no one seated next to me in that part of the waiting room, so that statement would be false. At around 12:20 we were taken to our table. Five minutes after that (~12:25), the waiter arrived and took our order (Chicken and Artichokes Pasta, and Chicken Prosciutto). The waiter then took the order for the two top next to us (chicken wraps, I believe). Ten minutes later (~12:35), the food for the table next to us was delivered. At around 12:45 our food had not arrived. I noticed our server was at the computer. He looked over at our table, and then his face changed to a concerned look. To me, that indicated he forgot to input our order. At about 12:50, I asked about our order. He said it was on its way. I explained the food for the table next to us arrived fifteen minutes ago. He said he would go check on the food. He punched at the computer for a few more seconds, and then went to an eight top to take their order; instead of checking on our food. At 12:55, I went out to the reception stand to talk to the manager (who then identified himself as the owner). I explained the situation. His reply was very nonchalant and not customer focused; lecturing me on the finer points of running a restaurant, including saying that it takes different amounts of time for different types of food. The example he used was a salad versus a well done burger (which obviously was not the problem in this situation, but he could care less). After his non-caring attitude I walked back to the table to discuss this with my companion. A few minutes later, the owner walked back to talk to our server. The server then came over and said the food would be right out; never explaining the reason for the delay. We said we needed it to be packed up to go (as we are restricted by standard corporate 1 hour lunch), and to bring our check. Five minutes passed without the food or check being delivered, so we put money down for our one soda, and left. Considering how the owner responded the first time I talked to him, I didn’t bother saying anything as we left (~1:03).

I’m sure if anyone from Bistro 301 chimes in here, they will say they were extremely busy because of the lunch hour and the U of L game. That excuse simply doesn't fly. All the waiter had to do was admit he forgot to put the order in, and/or for the owner to exhibit a more customer focused attitude. Because of all this Bistro 301 is off my list for any future lunch or dinner.
Last edited by Ryan G. on Fri Mar 16, 2007 2:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
no avatar
User

Ron Johnson

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 11:48 am

by Ron Johnson » Thu Mar 15, 2007 4:09 pm

Thanks for the frank report Ryan.
no avatar
User

Amy A

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 1:34 pm

Jeffersonville

by Amy A » Fri Mar 16, 2007 12:51 am

Ah, I am sorry. My husband and I have always had great experiences there. It's one of our favorite downtown lunch spots.
no avatar
User

Ellen White

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sat Mar 03, 2007 12:00 pm

st. matthews

bistro 301

by Ellen White » Mon Apr 09, 2007 7:28 pm

I have been here about 3 times. The service is usually not great, and the food is just okay. Plus, it is a little expensive. The one time I got really great food there, it was a bowl of lentil soup. However, for one bowl of soup, a glass of tea, plus tip, the total was $8.00. I could have gotten the same thing at City Cafe for under $4.
no avatar
User

Amy A

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 1:34 pm

Jeffersonville

by Amy A » Wed May 09, 2007 9:13 pm

We just left from dinner here and had a lovely meal.

Their Rock Shrimp Scampi on angel haired pasta was fantastic. Our server was an old pro and let us conduct our business meeting at the perfect pace. The chef sent us out a nice treat to nibble on. I am currently a happy lady.
no avatar
User

Doogy R

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 12:15 pm

The purlieus of Louisville, KY

I bet...

by Doogy R » Wed May 09, 2007 10:40 pm

,,,OJ enjoyed his meal there. Let me get in touch with his attorney to verify this. :lol:

http://www.courier-journal.com/apps/pbc ... 1/70509036
Great food along with great company is truly one of lifes best treasures.