Welcome to the Louisville Restaurants Forum, a civil place for the intelligent discussion of the local restaurant scene and just about any other topic related to food and drink in and around Louisville.
no avatar
User

Ron Johnson

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 11:48 am

by Ron Johnson » Mon Oct 08, 2007 1:05 pm

Sounds like this place rocks even harder than Danny Mac's pizza!
no avatar
User

RonnieD

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Aug 23, 2007 12:09 pm

The rolling acres of Henry County

by RonnieD » Tue Oct 09, 2007 7:42 pm

Going for breakfast tomorrow! Very excited! Any last minute recommendations?
Ronnie Dingman
Chef Consultant
The Farm
La Center, KY
no avatar
User

Houston Jones

{ RANK }

Foodie

Tue Jun 26, 2007 7:56 am

Lousiville, KY

Wild Eggs

by Houston Jones » Tue Oct 09, 2007 8:50 pm

RonnieD wrote:Going for breakfast tomorrow! Very excited! Any last minute recommendations?
The Eggs Benedict are out of this world Great!! Might also try the Breakfast Buritto, ENJOY!!
Improving the Louisville Dining Scene - Looking to open your own, buying or selling send me an email, Houston
no avatar
User

Danielle D

{ RANK }

Foodie

Tue May 01, 2007 11:33 am

by Danielle D » Mon Oct 15, 2007 12:17 pm

With all the hype, I had to try Wild Eggs. My mom and I ventured out Saturday morning and arrived about 9:30. We had to wait about 20 minutes but I didn't think that was bad for that time. The inside is cheery yellow but a bit sparse in my opinion. There weren't as many tables as I expected and perhaps that's to lower their overhead during weekdays when they're not as busy. The menu has a nice variety from the classics, biscuits and gravy, to french toast, pancakes, waffles, and several egg concoctions. There was one thing on the menu that really stuck out as over priced and that was the frittata for $11.95. Seriously? Are you kidding me? It probably costs about a dollar to make - what a profit margin. Now the pancakes were a steal at $3.95 for 3. I ordered Frank's cakes and they were supposed to have cherry preserves. When they arrived to the table, I had 3 plain buttermilk pancakes with a very small side of cherry "preserves" - not so sure that's really what I would call it. That was somewhat disappointing but the pancakes were still solid. My mom got the Elvis pancakes and those are decadent - a better choice. I'll definitely try it again because there were plenty more things I'd like to try. It looks like it's off to a great start though.
no avatar
User

Chris M

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Mar 02, 2007 6:10 pm

The Ville

by Chris M » Mon Oct 15, 2007 3:54 pm

Ron Johnson wrote:Sounds like this place rocks even harder than Danny Mac's pizza!

:lol:

My thoughts EXACTLY.
no avatar
User

Bill Veneman

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 12:35 pm

East End outside of the Watterson, but not afraid to travel for good grub

Loved It

by Bill Veneman » Mon Oct 15, 2007 4:32 pm

Went Sunday.....it was a blast. The Biscuits and Gravy are to die for, and I had the Creaole Omlette, and it was HUGE.

Yes, it's a bit pricey for breakfast, but the service was good, the food was "egg"cellent, and it made for a great start to the day!
If life's a Banquet, what's with all the Tofu?

Cheers!

Bill V.
no avatar
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Tue Feb 27, 2007 2:38 pm

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Mon Oct 15, 2007 4:39 pm

Chris M wrote:
Ron Johnson wrote:Sounds like this place rocks even harder than Danny Mac's pizza!

My thoughts EXACTLY.

I don't think this one is orchestrated, though ...
no avatar
User

Marsha L.

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 2:56 pm

Louisville, KY

by Marsha L. » Mon Oct 15, 2007 5:48 pm

Robin Garr wrote:
Chris M wrote:

My thoughts EXACTLY.

I don't think this one is orchestrated, though ...

I have to jump in and say something.

I keep seeing you (Robin) and Ron alluding to this alleged Danny Mac's "campaign" on the forum a few months ago. I know I started one of those threads myself, around the time we switched to the new forum format.

I want to state for the record that I didn't have anything to do with any "orchestrated" plan to promote Danny Mac's. I read about Danny Mac's cheesesteak in a thread on the old forum, and - since my boyfriend is a huge, HUGE cheesesteak fan, I stopped by there on my way home from work one afternoon, and, as advertised, it was amazing. Since then we've probably eaten there twenty times. I also know Len from L&N (my previous boss) tried Danny Mac's food and during the next seven days he ate there at least four times.

Yes, I titled my thread "Danny Mac's Cheesesteak ROCKS!" as a joke, because that was the title the thread had on the old forum. But I never met Danny before I ate there - and remember I only went there BECAUSE of the thread on the forum. Since then I've probably turned twenty people on to that place, and everyone who tries it loves it.

So, two questions:

1. Do you guys have some inside knowledge about ulterior motives of folks posting about Danny Mac's that I'm not privy to? and

2. Did either of you ever actually eat there?

I'm not trying to be too snarky, I'm genuinely curious. And frankly, I take it a little personal every time somebody snarks about Danny Mac's as if they are all illusion and no substance. I'm afraid, too, that it might steer folks away from there. I'm willing to admit it's possible someone who's a fan of the place may have been a bit overexuberant in their first post, but we have plenty of borderline "spammish" posts on this board, and nobody seems to mind too much - but it seems like Danny Mac's is getting picked on for some reason.

End of rant. I love this place, I just don't want any one to do a search and think that I'm some sort of paid Danny Mac's cheerleader or something. Their food is seriously solid Italian-American goodness.
no avatar
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Tue Feb 27, 2007 2:38 pm

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Mon Oct 15, 2007 6:27 pm

Marsha L. wrote:I have to jump in and say something.

I keep seeing you (Robin) and Ron alluding to this alleged Danny Mac's "campaign" on the forum a few months ago. I know I started one of those threads myself, around the time we switched to the new forum format.

Fair enough, Marsha, and good for you for setting at least part of the record straight. :)

I accept everything you say. That being said, my recollection of the Danny Mac's threads on the old forum is that there were so many newbies coming in all of a sudden, all of them raving about DM's Rockability, that it sure gave the impression of an orchestrated "viral marketing" campaign.

Not saying you were involved with that, or even that it really happened, but it sure got our attention.

For the record, I can tell you that I not only went to Danny Mac's, I went twice, and I said nice things about it in LEO and on LouisvilleHotBytes on March 7. Click here and page down for my short review.

Anyway, no offense meant, and I hope none taken. It's just that the noise surrounding Danny Mac's entry into the forum was so memorable that it stuck with a lot of us.

There's been a lot of buzz about Wild Eggs, too, but personally I wouldn't have likened it to the Danny Mac's thread. Maybe more like the early reports on Toast on Market.
Previous