Welcome to the Louisville Restaurants Forum, a civil place for the intelligent discussion of the local restaurant scene and just about any other topic related to food and drink in and around Louisville.
no avatar
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Tue Feb 27, 2007 2:38 pm

Crescent Hill

Bristol to sell all wines at retail prices

by Robin Garr » Thu Sep 27, 2007 4:03 pm

Today is the 30th anniversary of the opening of the first Bristol Bar & Grille on Bardstown Road, and the local bistro will celebrate by offering its patrons a substantial "gift" in the form of significantly reduced wine prices for the next 12 months, owner and founder Doug Gossman announced at a luncheon news conference today.

Gossman and Bristol-Downtown general manager and wine guy (and forumite) Scott Harper outlined the program, which I'll describe briefly here and in more detail in my <i>30 Second Wine Advisor</i> E-letter tomorrow, which I'll link here.

Basically, virtually all restaurants in Louisville and across the US turn wine into a profit center by marking up significantly bottles for sale, typically charging three to four times their wholesale price for wine, which works out to your paying about twice as much for a bottle of wine in a restaurant as you would for the same wine in a wine shop.

Now, Harper said, they'll set the markup so you'll pay only the equivalent of wine-shop retail for any bottle on the list at any of the four Bristol properties. The effect of this, for example, is that one of the Bristol's top wines, Heidsieck Champagne, will drop from $57 a bottle to about $33. Trevor Jones "Virgin" Australian Chardonnay, $31 on the old list, is now $19. The sought-after Cakebread Chardonnay, which sells around $70 at many Louisville eateries, now goes on the Bristol's list at $38.

Harper said the changes affect about 40 wines by the glass and 60 by the bottle on the "regular" list and more on the fancy "reserve" list; wine prices on the new list will be almost entirely in the teens and $20s range.

Gossman said he'll commit only to one year, but if the new approach pays off in additional wine and food sales, he would love to extend it. "I hope this will draw attention to the egregious amounts that some restaurants mark up wine," he said. "If this draws attention to that and pulls prices down, good."
no avatar
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Fri Sep 28, 2007 12:52 pm

As planned, I addressed this new concept with a bit more wine-geek detail about wine-list pricing in my wine E-letter, The 30 Second Wine Advisor, today; and because of its local angle, I've also published the main article on LouisvilleHotBytes.

Bristol challenges wine-list markup
no avatar
User

Todd Antz

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri May 11, 2007 12:37 pm

Clarksville, IN

by Todd Antz » Fri Sep 28, 2007 1:36 pm

It will be interesting to see how this plays out. From a retailer perspective, I have always loved watching a customer rave about a $30 - $40 wine they had while out to dinner. Once they come in and see that we retail is for $10 - $15 they usually get pretty ticked at the restaurant. Conversely, I'm surprised someone would kill the goose that lays the golden egg on such a profitable item, especially for an entire year, rather than a shorter timeframe.
Keg Liquors
Keeping Kentuckiana Beer'd since 1976
http://www.kegliquors.com

617 E. Lewis & Clark Pkwy
Clarksville, IN 47129
812-283-3988

4304 Charlestown Road
New Albany, IN 47150
812-948-0444
no avatar
User

Ted Stevens

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sat Mar 03, 2007 12:54 am

Clifton

by Ted Stevens » Fri Sep 28, 2007 4:50 pm

Will this be the policy after the settlement?
no avatar
User

Carolyne Davis

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sat Mar 24, 2007 11:22 am

Speaking of Heidsieck...

by Carolyne Davis » Sat Sep 29, 2007 11:04 am

Someone gave me a bottle of this champagne and I am curious as to how long it will last unopened and are there any tricks to storing it properly? Thanks!
no avatar
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Crescent Hill

Re: Speaking of Heidsieck...

by Robin Garr » Sat Sep 29, 2007 11:08 am

Carolyne Davis wrote:Someone gave me a bottle of this champagne and I am curious as to how long it will last unopened and are there any tricks to storing it properly? Thanks!

Carolyne, can you tell us a little more about your Champagne or sparkling wine? Who made it and where?

Generally speaking, bubbly is made to drink up fresh, not to cellar. It won't rot or turn to vinegar or anything like that, but (with certain rare, expensive wine-geek exceptions) you can't keep it indefinitely without losing its freshness. Keep it in the fridge for a few months or in a cool place in your house for longer, but in general I'd recommend enjoying it rather than putting it away as a keepsake.
no avatar
User

Ron Johnson

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 11:48 am

by Ron Johnson » Mon Oct 01, 2007 7:42 am

This is phenomenal. I will be going to the bristol a lot more often. Great move Scott!