Welcome to the Louisville Restaurants Forum, a civil place for the intelligent discussion of the local restaurant scene and just about any other topic related to food and drink in and around Louisville.
no avatar
User

Terry Cook

{ RANK }

Foodie

Tue Apr 10, 2007 10:10 am

Louisville; East End

Can't miss places in Chicago?

by Terry Cook » Wed Sep 26, 2007 9:49 pm

I'll be in Chicago for the next few days. What are a few restaurants I should not miss?

Staying on Randolph in the north loop.

Thanks for your help
Terry
no avatar
User

Jeff T

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Mar 16, 2007 12:45 pm

Louisville

by Jeff T » Wed Sep 26, 2007 10:58 pm

If you like Italian dont miss Rosebud on Rush. My wife and I were there over Labor Day for our 25th anniversary. WONDERFUL!!! Also loved the Chop House. I had a 16oz fillet, they didn't even bring me a knife. No need for it. Also Lou Mitchell's for great breakfast. The very very high end would be Charlie Trotters but at $185 per person before alcohol its a bit pricey for me.
no avatar
User

C. Devlin

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 12:42 pm

by C. Devlin » Thu Sep 27, 2007 12:30 am

I know that Rosebud has been given a bad rap here in the past but would like to give it a thumbs up myself. And although I generally dislike feeling inclined to provide any sort of self-credentialing (is that a word?), here's the thing. I'm a foodie. I'm well-travelled. I lived in Chicago for 25 years and enjoyed the restaurant scene in a big way together with friends and my husband. And apart from that, we work with a fairly extensive group of Italians who are all as well-travelled and as into great food as any folks I've ever met, and they absolutely loved Rosebud on Rush.

Lou Mitchell's may be more a Chicago sort of tradition than a lot folks might prefer, but it was always one of my husband's favorite breakfast places (I liked it too, but as a late-riser I've never been one for eating breakfast anywhere but at home unless I'm travelling).
no avatar
User

C. Devlin

{ RANK }

Foodie

by C. Devlin » Thu Sep 27, 2007 12:31 am

I know that Rosebud has been given a bad rap here in the past but would like to give it a thumbs up myself. And although I generally dislike feeling inclined to provide any sort of self-credentialing (is that a word?), here's the thing. I'm a foodie. I'm well-travelled. I lived in Chicago for 25 years and enjoyed the restaurant scene in a big way together with friends and my husband. And apart from that, we work with a fairly extensive group of Italians who are all as well-travelled and as into great food as any folks I've ever met, and they absolutely loved Rosebud on Rush.

Lou Mitchell's may be more a Chicago sort of tradition than a lot folks might prefer, but it was always one of my husband's favorite breakfast places (I liked it too, but as a late-riser I've never been one for eating breakfast anywhere but at home unless I'm travelling).

[edited to add: Rosebud's also has a great piano bar in the basement, which is also a big plus for us.]
no avatar
User

Jim Zoeller

{ RANK }

Foodie

Wed Sep 05, 2007 9:35 pm

Middletown

Chicago

by Jim Zoeller » Thu Sep 27, 2007 6:50 am

Don't miss Lou Mitchell's for breakfast. Big, fluffy scrambled eggs and the whole breakfast experience can't be missed. If you're a pizza junkie like myself, you won't want to miss Gino's East, for the best Chicago-style pizza.
Jim Zoeller
no avatar
User

Michele Cull

{ RANK }

Foodie

Wed Jun 06, 2007 9:44 am

Original Highlands

by Michele Cull » Thu Sep 27, 2007 8:29 am

I can't say that I second Lou Mitchell's. We were there this summer and it was disappointing. Our drinks were wrong and when I told her, she rolled her eyes, huffed and took them away. The server never brought out one of our items - even after being politely reminded twice. The eggs were good, but the hash browns were greasy and flavorless. Maybe an off day for them, but if I want service like that I can go to Ed Debevic's.

MissChele
MissChele
no avatar
User

MollyCooley

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sun Sep 09, 2007 6:07 pm

East End

Great for Brunch

by MollyCooley » Thu Sep 27, 2007 9:12 am

I lived in Chicago for a few years and hands down my fav place for brunch was Deleece on N. Southport (in the heart of Wrigleyville/Boystown) I always got their Eggs Benedict with spinach, artichoke and sundried tomato hollandaise...and a belini! there's usually a line out the door on Sundays, so get there early....great locale, great atmosphere, great prices....deleece.com...enjoy!
no avatar
User

Casey J.

{ RANK }

Foodie

Tue Mar 13, 2007 4:39 pm

Elizabethtown + Prospect

A great city for food

by Casey J. » Thu Sep 27, 2007 9:13 am

no avatar
User

Beth K.

{ RANK }

Foodie

Wed May 23, 2007 2:18 pm

by Beth K. » Thu Sep 27, 2007 9:42 am

I second bafe baba reeba. I love that place and go everytime I'm in Chicago.
no avatar
User

MollyCooley

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sun Sep 09, 2007 6:07 pm

East End

Kitsch',

by MollyCooley » Thu Sep 27, 2007 10:59 am

oh yeah! I forgot about Kitsch'n.....went there several times...it's in a great location in Lakeview and FUNKY! (think 'Lynn's Paradise Cafe')...they were even featured on the Food Network a few years ago on Rachel Ray's Tasty Travels.
no avatar
User

John Hagan

{ RANK }

Foodie

Wed Aug 29, 2007 6:38 pm

SPENCER CO. Lake Wazzapamani

by John Hagan » Thu Sep 27, 2007 5:32 pm

Many many places, I will make a suggestion for a great place for lunch. There is a polish grocery on Archer Ave. called Gillmart. They have an area set up with some tables. If you like to soak up the feelings and culture of a place when you travel, this place is a must. The polish food is some of the best in the city, mostly polish speaking patrons and employees. Not fancy at all, you are bascially sitting in a busy crowded grocery. It will be an experience. Probably a bit of a hike from where you are staying, but worth it.
no avatar
User

C. Devlin

{ RANK }

Foodie

by C. Devlin » Thu Sep 27, 2007 8:00 pm

A little off the grid in terms of where you're going to be, but Bella's Pizza & Restaurant at 1952 West Chicago Avenue has the best whole garlic pizza I've ever had anywhere. To die for. As several reviews will note, the service is pretty nonchalant, and the ambience is for sure nothing to write home about, but it was a place I'd always choose above any other pizza place in Chicago. Small, nondescript, great garlic pizza.
no avatar
User

Ryan Thiel

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Mar 05, 2007 1:33 pm

T-Bunz's Cafe

by Ryan Thiel » Fri Sep 28, 2007 11:07 am

Check out T-Bunz's Cafe. The Sausage Balls are legendary!!!!
--RT
no avatar
User

Sally M

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Mar 02, 2007 2:45 pm

Chicago - Can't Miss

by Sally M » Fri Sep 28, 2007 11:28 am

Frontera Grill. No need to owe me one. Just pay it forward. <grin>

http://www.fronterakitchens.com/restaur ... rants.html
no avatar