Welcome to the Louisville Restaurants Forum, a civil place for the intelligent discussion of the local restaurant scene and just about any other topic related to food and drink in and around Louisville.
no avatar
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Tue Feb 27, 2007 2:38 pm

Crescent Hill

PR: Activists to demonstrate against Bardstown Bristol

by Robin Garr » Wed Sep 26, 2007 8:35 am

Action Alert: Bristol Bar & Grille Demonstration Flyer
Kentucky Alliance Against Racist & Political Repression

"Blow the Whistle on the Bristol"
Thursday, Sept. 27, 5-8 p.m.
In front of the Bardstown Road Bristol Bar & Grille

In response to the Bristol Bar & Grille's lack of attention to an incident at the Bardstown Road location in which a manager asked a young disabled man to either 'move to the back' of the restaurant or 'leave.'

Corey, whom has cerebral palsy, was simply ordering his food. His voice was apparently disturbing to the manager who took it upon himself to give Corey this ultimatum as no customers had complained.

The Bristol, having violated not only this man's civil liberties but breaking the law (Americans with disabilities act, Title III "Public accommodations must comply with basic nondiscrimination requirements that prohibit exclusion, segregation, and unequal treatment."), was given ten days to apologize. They chose instead to ignore the issue entirely.

We are holding a peaceful demonstration in front of the restaurant to show that DISCRIMINATION OF ANY KIND will not be tolerated in Louisville, not for ANY CITIZEN.

Bring your signs, friends, or simply yourself.
no avatar
User

John R.

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Mar 05, 2007 11:29 am

Old Lousiville

by John R. » Wed Sep 26, 2007 9:50 am

I felt like doing a demonstration when I was served that pitiful brunch a month ago. They did the guy a favor by not exposing him to their awful food. :P
Im not a food"ie", I am a food"er".
no avatar
User

Rick Boman

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Mar 02, 2007 9:26 am

by Rick Boman » Wed Sep 26, 2007 9:54 am

Bravo!!! Robin, I wish I could go but my son is in a homecoming parade in Shepherdsville.

For those of you who have met me, I have a stuttering problem, so when I hear about discrimiation based on a handicap or disability it makes me angry. I have been on the receiving end of ignorance almost daily. Everytime I stutter when I answer the phone, peoples first reaction is to laugh. I have had the time to educate people about what it feels like to be treated differently and I make headway alot of the time. It is usually a lack of understanding of the situation. Other's are just criminally stupid or worse, mean. That poor guy should not have been humiliated like that.
He was just trying to order some food and gets swept into the corner.
Shame on you Bristol!!!
no avatar
User

Ron Johnson

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 11:48 am

by Ron Johnson » Wed Sep 26, 2007 9:56 am

Thanks for sharing that insight Chef. All it takes to have some compassion is to walk in someone else's shoes.
no avatar
User

Beth K.

{ RANK }

Foodie

Wed May 23, 2007 2:18 pm

by Beth K. » Wed Sep 26, 2007 10:04 am

This whole situation is both shocking and sad. I can't believe an establishment like the Bristol, who has a long history with the city, would just ignore this issue, especially on the cusp of their big anniversary. It's like a big 'F You' to the public. (Not that I needed another reason not to eat at the Bristol. Yuck!)

I'm curious though - how did it come to light that no customers had complained and that the manager had only made that up?
no avatar
User

Linda C

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 08, 2007 8:38 pm

by Linda C » Wed Sep 26, 2007 11:37 am

Wish I could be there, I have to play music for an old folks home (charity). Did you see how many times the Bristol was mentioned in the "Best Of" awards in Leo? I refuse to do business there because of the way they fought the smoking ban, this incident really makes them look bad. Why haven't they said anything, is there a lawsuit pending? If that's the case, they really can't respond.
no avatar
User

Aaron Newton

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 15, 2007 3:34 pm

by Aaron Newton » Wed Sep 26, 2007 11:51 am

Linda C wrote: Why haven't they said anything, is there a lawsuit pending? If that's the case, they really can't respond.

According to the previous thread and the article linked therein, yes there is.
no avatar
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Wed Sep 26, 2007 12:06 pm

Aaron Newton wrote:According to the previous thread and the article linked therein, yes there is.

We've had similar discussions here in the past, and I'll stand by the opinion that, even if it might not be prudent for the parties to a lawsuit to natter about it or argue the case in public, a simple public statement wouldn't be a bad idea, and in this case, dead silence doesn't make Bristol management look good.
no avatar
User

Jeremy J

{ RANK }

Foodie

Tue Mar 20, 2007 11:30 am

Louisville, KY

by Jeremy J » Wed Sep 26, 2007 3:55 pm

Linda C wrote:I refuse to do business there because of the way they fought the smoking ban....

on a side note- this is a sentiment that is increasingly common, and in my opinion compete B.S.

You know what? You won. One of your points for pushing for a smoking ban was that business would INCREASE for bars and restaurants...in fact, and this is at numerous places I have talked to, it has NOT. Restaurants campaigned against a ban because they wanted their business to stay at the same level, and as they predicted is has dropped.

You won your case, you got what you wanted. Don't try and fault small businesses because you don't like the fact that their most loyal customers smoke. That's not their fault.

Of course, if Bristol indeed was a part of the incident with the Corey, that's horrendous, and I don't mean to sidetrack the thread, but ENOUGH with the smoking crap, YOU WON. Celebrate your victory by going out and proving those who were opposed to the ban wrong.
no avatar
User

Linda C

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 08, 2007 8:38 pm

by Linda C » Wed Sep 26, 2007 5:21 pm

I don't know why you're so angry with me. There were thousands of people fighting for the health of restaurant workers. "I" didn't win, they did. And we've been going out more than ever thanks to clean air.
no avatar
User

Jon K

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 10:22 pm

by Jon K » Wed Sep 26, 2007 5:31 pm

I'm boycotting all restaurants that fought the smoking ban that also serve bad food. Lately, the Bristol is in that group. They've really slipped.
no avatar
User

Jeremy J

{ RANK }

Foodie

Tue Mar 20, 2007 11:30 am

Louisville, KY

by Jeremy J » Wed Sep 26, 2007 8:13 pm

linda- I'm not mad at you, and I don't mean "Linda, you won" I mean the "royal you," the multitude of people that were so insistent on a smoking ban, but then won't go to restaurants that opposed it. I think it's a really lousy way to look at things.

If you look at the restaurants in context, they are just small businesses trying to stay above water. In my experience, bar business and the majority of regulars tend to be smokers in to 60-80% range depending on the place. It's not surprising that restaurants would want to keep them happy. If you disagreed at one point, fine, but don't penalize them, they're certainly obeying the law.

I feel like a lot of the people who campaigned for a smoking ban on the basis that they'd go out more often actually don't. I think either you went out already or you didn't. I also think a lot of smokers stay home more often now. You know what, it may be a little silly, I'm not a smoker so I don't really get it either, but I do know that less money is coming in at a lot of bars and restaurants. So no, I'm not angry at you personally, but this is an issue that I have rather strong feelings about, and it can get me a bit riled up.

also: Jon K- right there with you...just debating a broader issue.
no avatar
User

Brett Davis

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sat Apr 07, 2007 8:33 pm

GUILTY UNTIL PROVEN INNOCENT????

by Brett Davis » Wed Sep 26, 2007 10:13 pm

You guys should be ashamed. Robin, I'm especially surprised at you for posting this protest notice. Since when are you in the business of making news? All of you are assuming the incident in question is fact before the Bristol is allowed to tell their side of the story in the proper forum. Before you go off with any uneducated protests, don't you think you need to make sure what the truth is?

The Bristol has been serving this community for 30 years. Has anyone ever heard of them being discriminatory or abusive to anyone in all those years? Being there is a lawsuit; any good lawyer (RON???) will tell you that Bristol Management is most certainly not allowed to speak on the matter.

Rick, I’m sorry you have had to deal with people making fun of your stuttering but there is nothing to say BRAVO about. I think the proper term is BOOO! If the story turns out to be the truth and the Bristol does not make proper amends, then sure, protest away. Until then, everyone needs to shut their pie-holes and wait for the truth to be determined.

I need to state right now that I do business with the Bristol and one of my best friends is in management with the Bristol. He’s not talking to me about this either so I have no different information than any of you. I am not, however, standing up to your mob rule mentality because of those two reasons. I spent over 20 years in the restaurant business and simply hate when people jump to conclusions and potentially damage the livelihoods of hundreds of people before knowing what they are talking about.
no avatar
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Crescent Hill

Re: GUILTY UNTIL PROVEN INNOCENT????

by Robin Garr » Wed Sep 26, 2007 11:19 pm

Brett Davis wrote:You guys should be ashamed. Robin, I'm especially surprised at you for posting this protest notice. Since when are you in the business of making news? All of you are assuming the incident in question is fact before the Bristol is allowed to tell their side of the story in the proper forum. Before you go off with any uneducated protests, don't you think you need to make sure what the truth is?

Brett, I'm sorry you feel that way. We're not "making news" here, but I can't in good conscience censor a press release from a local advocacy group either. This incident has become news. It's been reported here, in the CJ and in LEO. The demonstration is public. And with all respect, if Bristol management asked my opinion, I would urge them to make a statement - cleared by their lawyers certainly - in hope of clearing the air.

There's nothing sensationalistic about that. But sit on it? Suppress the news release? I'm sorry, but I'm not comfortable doing that.

And when the facts come out, whatever they are, I'm sure we'll talk about it again.
no avatar
User

Rick Boman

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Mar 02, 2007 9:26 am

by Rick Boman » Wed Sep 26, 2007 11:33 pm

Rick, I’m sorry you have had to deal with people making fun of your stuttering but there is nothing to say BRAVO about. I think the proper term is BOOO! If the story turns out to be the truth and the Bristol does not make proper amends, then sure, protest away. Until then, everyone needs to shut their pie-holes and wait for the truth to be determined

I know that only one side of the story is out, but they have had time to make a statement. Closed lips sometimes speak volumes.
Next