Welcome to the Louisville Restaurants Forum, a civil place for the intelligent discussion of the local restaurant scene and just about any other topic related to food and drink in and around Louisville.

Roger Baylor/ABusch

User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Tue Feb 27, 2007 2:38 pm

Crescent Hill

Re: Roger Baylor/ABusch

by Robin Garr » Sat Aug 13, 2011 11:06 pm

Lonnie Turner wrote:Robin, you mentioned something about a wine oriented forum in an earlier that you are involved in. Did you ever consider a beer one? I wonder if literally no space is taken up on Louisville HotBytes with wine threads because of such an outlet. Pretty much the only mention of wine is in the context of an overall restaurant view. Offering a place for beer geeks to hang, chat & rant as needed could be good. That would shift a lot of discussion off the solid food forum.

Lonnie, we've talked about that, but hated to dilute the Louisville food forum, where beverages seem to fit in.

The wine forum I referred to is not Louisville-oriented but has a world-wide audience. I was able to build that over the years as a wine writer, but although I like beer and know something about it, I'd be going up against established competition to start a community about beer. Probably best to leave well enough alone.

Here's a link to the wine forum, if you're curious ...

http://www.wineloverspage.com/forum/village/index.php
User

Carla G

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Sep 28, 2009 9:01 am

by Carla G » Sun Aug 14, 2011 9:00 am

Dear Roger-
Please ignore all the snippy references regarding your attitude and passion for locally made beer. I'm not an avid beer drinker myself but I appreciate your knowledge on the subject. I will say that many months ago when beer discussions became so popular on these boards I started trying some artisan beers. What do you know?! I do like beer! Just not the usual Buds or Millers. So now when I do shop for some beers to take home (which granted, isn't THAT often) I go ahead and pay almost 60% more than I would have paid for an AB or Miller product and I get a local craft beer. Your rantings have not been lost on me and I am a convert. Thanks for the schoolin'.

Carla G.
"She did not so much cook as assassinate food." - Storm Jameson
User

Steve H

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Apr 17, 2008 12:27 pm

Neanderthals rock!

by Steve H » Sun Aug 14, 2011 11:16 am

Roger A. Baylor wrote:
Steve Shade wrote:http://www.bizjournals.com/louisville/blog/morning_call/2011/08/indianapolis-inn-to-become-bud-light.html?s=newsletter&ed=2011-08-11&ana=e_lou_rdup

Roger's favorite subject.

Actually, one corporate entity (Hampton Inn) prostituting itself to another (AB-INBEV) for the sake of the "American Dream" hardly is unprecedented, but thanks for the link.

Yes, as Shawn surmised, it's Great Taste weekend in Madison WI. Sorry I missed the discussion. As a response of sorts, here's the ad I placed in the fest program.

http://potablecurmudgeon.blogspot.com/2011/08/nabcs-advertisement-in-2011-great-taste.html

Yeah, really cute ad. Republicans = Fascists. Got it. Can you explain how this ad is promotion for micro brewed beer?

I have tried your beers, and find them to be good products. Their promotion shouldn't require the demonization of over half your potential customers. Fortunately, I can shift my business to other producers, equally good or better, who don't consider fellow Americans to be fascists.
User

Steve H

{ RANK }

Foodie

Neanderthals rock!

by Steve H » Sun Aug 14, 2011 11:20 am

<Removed inadvertent duplicate post>
Last edited by Steve H on Mon Aug 22, 2011 11:40 am, edited 1 time in total.
no avatar
User

Art T

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sun Aug 22, 2010 3:57 pm

by Art T » Sun Aug 14, 2011 11:36 am

Steve H wrote:
Yeah, really cute ad. Republicans = Fascists. Got it. Can you explain how this ad is promotion for micro brewed beer?

I have tried your beers, and find them to be good products. Their promotion shouldn't require the demonization of over half your potential customers. Fortunately, I can shift my business to other producers, equally good or better, who don't consider fellow Americans to be fascists.

This.
User

Heather Y

{ RANK }

In Time Out Room

Thu Mar 01, 2007 12:07 pm

Prospect

by Heather Y » Sun Aug 14, 2011 11:54 am

See marketing at it's finest, being good at being bad, a whole thread devoted to Roger.
Nicely done! A single party!
User

Charles W.

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 12:53 pm

Schnitzelburg

by Charles W. » Sun Aug 14, 2011 6:44 pm

Roger A. Baylor wrote:
Steve Shade wrote:http://www.bizjournals.com/louisville/blog/morning_call/2011/08/indianapolis-inn-to-become-bud-light.html?s=newsletter&ed=2011-08-11&ana=e_lou_rdup

Roger's favorite subject.

Actually, one corporate entity (Hampton Inn) prostituting itself to another (AB-INBEV) for the sake of the "American Dream" hardly is unprecedented, but thanks for the link.

Yes, as Shawn surmised, it's Great Taste weekend in Madison WI. Sorry I missed the discussion. As a response of sorts, here's the ad I placed in the fest program.

http://potablecurmudgeon.blogspot.com/2011/08/nabcs-advertisement-in-2011-great-taste.html

Now, here's where I depart from "death to chains." I travel a lot. And if I am spending several days somewhere, I always look for local flavor in my accommodations. My brother-in-law visited a couple of weeks ago and we put him up at an Old Louisville B&B. I love unique places. But when I'm traveling and basically just sleeping somewhere, I want a few things: a comfortable bed with good pillows, a clean room, reliable wifi, and a good desk/working space. For me, Hampton Inns fill that to a T. In these situations, I want predictability. The view out the window is essentially the same no matter where it is (asphalt and a nearby freeway), but I can sleep well and get to the next place. Independent motels? Not interested.
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Tue Feb 27, 2007 2:38 pm

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Sun Aug 14, 2011 6:51 pm

Charles W. wrote:Independent motels? Not interested.

Yeah, I'm with you on that. In the first half of the '90s I worked for a national non-profit and traveled all over the US visiting grassroots organizations. Even Best Westerns, which are in a chain but mostly seem to be loosely affiliated indies in older facilities in a sort of loose federation, were pretty iffy.

I'm trying to fix on what I think the difference is. Indie restaurants - at least the kind that most of us here admire - seem to have a certain commitment to quality. Even those that use standard suppliers bring a chef's imagination to the table. But in indie motels, it seems that holding down on costs is job No. 1, and there didn't seem to be much commitment to quality if it cost anything.
User

Steve H

{ RANK }

Foodie

Neanderthals rock!

by Steve H » Sun Aug 14, 2011 7:14 pm

Interesting. Along with the local seedy motels, there are plenty of local greasy spoons that a traveler might wish to avoid. Local isn't always a marque of quality, after all. As such, the wary traveler might often do better at a chain in the absence of a trusted local guide.

The dubious Subway counter at the freeway exit gas station says there are no hard fast rules.
User

Tony D.

{ RANK }

Foodie

Tue Apr 24, 2007 2:29 am

by Tony D. » Sun Aug 14, 2011 7:57 pm

This is a sad country when every opinion expressed has to be considered along party lines. Do democrats like ales and republicans lager? Is Cottonelle right-wing and Charmin leftist? IMHO, Mr. Baylor is not equating any political group with fascists, he is honoring the memory of a great American who loved this country.
http://potablecurmudgeon.blogspot.com/2 ... these.html

As a person who eats food and drinks beverages, I enjoy reading the opinions of diners and chefs on these matters. There are other forums on the Internet devoted to other subjects.
User

Steve H

{ RANK }

Foodie

Neanderthals rock!

by Steve H » Mon Aug 15, 2011 7:45 am

Tony D. wrote:This is a sad country when every opinion expressed has to be considered along party lines. Do democrats like ales and republicans lager? Is Cottonelle right-wing and Charmin leftist? IMHO, Mr. Baylor is not equating any political group with fascists, he is honoring the memory of a great American who loved this country.
http://potablecurmudgeon.blogspot.com/2 ... these.html

As a person who eats food and drinks beverages, I enjoy reading the opinions of diners and chefs on these matters. There are other forums on the Internet devoted to other subjects.

That's all well and good. Did you bother to look at the ad? It says that Mitch Daniels and Scott Walker are fascists, and that NABC has the machines to kill them (metaphorically one hopes).

You and Mr. Baylor are certainly welcome to present another interpretation, but it looks pretty clear to me.
User

Antonia L

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Sep 19, 2008 10:28 am

Cherokee Triangle

by Antonia L » Mon Aug 15, 2011 10:06 am

Steve H wrote:...and that NABC has the machines to kill them (metaphorically one hopes).

Metaphorically. I feel silly explaining that.
Woody Guthrie famously had "This Machine Kills Fascists" inscribed on his guitar.
User

Steve H

{ RANK }

Foodie

Neanderthals rock!

by Steve H » Mon Aug 15, 2011 10:35 am

Antonia L wrote:
Steve H wrote:...and that NABC has the machines to kill them (metaphorically one hopes).

Metaphorically. I feel silly explaining that.
Woody Guthrie famously had "This Machine Kills Fascists" inscribed on his guitar.

Yes, as the post on Roger's blog which Tony linked above makes clear.
no avatar
User

Rob Coffey

{ RANK }

Foodie

Wed Feb 06, 2008 12:17 pm

by Rob Coffey » Mon Aug 15, 2011 4:15 pm

Heather Y wrote:Then "Death to chains" should not be recited 100% of the time.
Just saying, some people will be offended by it.

Why would anyone be offended?

You can laugh at him. You could mock the hypocrisy. But offended?
User

David R. Pierce

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 1:02 pm

by David R. Pierce » Mon Aug 15, 2011 5:12 pm

Rob Coffey wrote:
Heather Y wrote:Then "Death to chains" should not be recited 100% of the time.
Just saying, some people will be offended by it.

Why would anyone be offended?

You can laugh at him. You could mock the hypocrisy. But offended?

See Lew Bryson's Death to Chains.
Cheers,
David R. Pierce
The Original BBC Brewmaster
Bluegrass Brewing Co.
St. Matthews branch
Craft Brewing Louisville continuously since 1992
PreviousNext