Welcome to the Louisville Restaurants Forum, a civil place for the intelligent discussion of the local restaurant scene and just about any other topic related to food and drink in and around Louisville.

Roger Baylor/ABusch

User

Charles W.

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 12:53 pm

Schnitzelburg

Re: Roger Baylor/ABusch

by Charles W. » Sat Aug 13, 2011 9:30 am

There is an ignore feature on this forum that you can use to hide posts from a particular person. I use it with one particular person (not Roger, btw), and it makes my experience here much more pleasant.
User

David Clancy

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 12:09 pm

A couch in Andy's house.

by David Clancy » Sat Aug 13, 2011 10:19 am

Charles W. wrote:There is an ignore feature on this forum that you can use to hide posts from a particular person. I use it with one particular person (not Roger, btw), and it makes my experience here much more pleasant.
Where is that? I have a good deal of ignoring to do..... :wink: .As per Roger, I can say that there are quite a few people on this forum that could stand to be as vocal about anything other than trashing personalities because they differ from their own. At the risk of being invicserated, I will say that I have known Roger for many years and respect and admire him more than just about anyone. He is vocal, brash, opinionated, and purposefull in everything he does and while I find that trait endearing, most people just take him for an arrogant pompous ass, and yet he perseveres in spite of it. Why? In a word, PASSION!! Passion for a struggling downtown New Albany, passion for politics, passion for beer, passion for the little guys (just like me) that try and compete in a system that is stacked against them, We should all take heed of this. My thoughts are drawn to that movie where the only restaurant is Taco Bell, and I believe we are inching closer as a society to that reality every day. Roger is here to remind us of that and I am grateful for it! Having said that, if we are all content with a future that is bland and souless, then I guess I'm just pissing in the wind as well, but I'll let you decide that for yourselves...Okay, have at me:!:
David Clancy
Fabulous Old Louisville
(Is this your homework Larry?)
no avatar
User

Alison Hanover

{ RANK }

Foodie

Tue Apr 22, 2008 2:27 pm

by Alison Hanover » Sat Aug 13, 2011 10:41 am

Just to add my two pennys worth. In England, as I am sure the majority of you will know, beer and lager are completely different. So, in my opinion what Roger sells is beer. Bud, Miller, Coors etc are lagers. I don't really care for beer, but I do like lager. That being said, I only like lager that actually tastes of something, so, to that end, I drink Fosters, Heineken, Stella Artois and Harp. Someone said that if they were offered a cold Bud Light, 9 times out of 10 they would accept it. Well, I wouldn't, you would have to pay me to drink it! I have had a few beers at NABC that I did like. Can't for the life of me remember what they are called though, but as a general rule I stick to lagers. Wonder why the Americans don't differentiate between lager and beer?
Alison Hanover
User

Alan H

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Dec 08, 2008 5:37 pm

Highlands

by Alan H » Sat Aug 13, 2011 11:42 am

Wow ! I just looked at my calendar and there was nothing on it about "shit on Roger week" ? :o

Make mine the week of September 5th so I can prepare my draft early.....
Alan Hincks
Overtime Sports Bar and Grille

A fine beer may be judged with only one sip, but it's better to be thoroughly sure.
no avatar
User

Sarah M.

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Jun 04, 2007 6:26 pm

Schnitzelburg

by Sarah M. » Sat Aug 13, 2011 11:46 am

My husband and I are craft beer lovers. We regularly seek out local breweries while traveling and frequently visit Roger's establishments. Both of us drank cheap mass produced beer when we were younger, broke and didn't know any better. :wink: Now you couldn't pay me to drink a Bud Light.
I understand that some people are used to a particular style. But I can't count the number of times I have been somewhere that specializes in craft beer and says " I only like Bud, Miller, whatever" and the server/bartender will offer tastes of beers that would be similar only to have the person turn it down. Why not step outside of your comfort zone?
I will say that no matter what kind of impression people have of Roger (whom I have not met), whenever I have been at New Albanian the servers are always respectful and make an effort ( offering samples, etc) to find the right beer for the person without any judgement.
Last edited by Sarah M. on Sat Aug 13, 2011 11:48 am, edited 1 time in total.
"Work is the curse of the drinking class." -Oscar Wilde.
no avatar
User

Hank Sutton

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 08, 2007 1:44 pm

Downtown Louisville

by Hank Sutton » Sat Aug 13, 2011 11:46 am

David Clancy wrote:
Charles W. wrote:There is an ignore feature on this forum that you can use to hide posts from a particular person. I use it with one particular person (not Roger, btw), and it makes my experience here much more pleasant.
Where is that? I have a good deal of ignoring to do..... :wink: .As per Roger, I can say that there are quite a few people on this forum that could stand to be as vocal about anything other than trashing personalities because they differ from their own. At the risk of being invicserated, I will say that I have known Roger for many years and respect and admire him more than just about anyone. He is vocal, brash, opinionated, and purposefull in everything he does and while I find that trait endearing, most people just take him for an arrogant pompous ass, and yet he perseveres in spite of it. Why? In a word, PASSION!! Passion for a struggling downtown New Albany, passion for politics, passion for beer, passion for the little guys (just like me) that try and compete in a system that is stacked against them, We should all take heed of this. My thoughts are drawn to that movie where the only restaurant is Taco Bell, and I believe we are inching closer as a society to that reality every day. Roger is here to remind us of that and I am grateful for it! Having said that, if we are all content with a future that is bland and souless, then I guess I'm just pissing in the wind as well, but I'll let you decide that for yourselves...Okay, have at me:!:

Well said David! I know Roger can speak for himself and is probably busy with something else now.

I think this is the ignore feature Charles referred to: User Control Panel - Friends and Foes tab - Manage Foes.
Hides all posts from a selected name but allows the option of revealing a single post if desired.
User

Charles W.

{ RANK }

Foodie

Schnitzelburg

by Charles W. » Sat Aug 13, 2011 1:07 pm

If you click on a person's username, you can add them to your "foe" list. That means you can only see that user's posts if you specifically choose to, one post at a time.
User

Shawn Vest

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sun Jul 15, 2007 9:10 pm

850 main street, charlestown, indiana

by Shawn Vest » Sat Aug 13, 2011 2:36 pm

I'm pretty sure all the brewery folks worth their salt are in Madison, WI this weekend at a serious beer fest - http://www.mhtg.org/great-taste-of-the-midwest.

- Heather Y -
As a "death to chains" advocate there is an acceptable amount of hypocrisy imbedded within the position. The nature of the position though, is that given the choice, one would choose a local/craft alternative to a chain.
Given the nature of the beast (if you will) it is impossible to provide a 100% local beer to the public, or to produce/transport said beer via 100% local methods. The same can be said of many craft/local businesses - most rely on transportation/distribution methods that are not locally sourced, equipment that is not local, etc.
In my opinion, it is nearly impossible to exist via 100% locally produced products, but that does not prevent me from attempting to achieve that goal. In hopes that the ever increasing demand for more local products will encourage more local business to provide more local products.

-
I appreciate the "foe" feature of the forum, yet in my opinion it produces nothing of value in the way of discourse. The opposing opinions expressed here are essential to the success of the organism. Although, I strongly disagree with several personalities here, i would rather read their opinions than censor them.

Allison H.
Many American craft breweries produce great lager beer, many Americans however have not been enlightened to the differences between Ales & Lagers.
Quite simply, lagers are cold fermented beers & ales are warm fermented - lagers tend to be golden, clear, and light in flavor and body - ales tend to be darker in color, bolder in flavor, fruitier, and often more bitter.
Given the list of beers you enjoy, I would suggest Victory Pilsner or Stevens Point Special Lager. (typically a strong German heritage in a particular locality will produce a greater variety of locally produced lager beers as found in Wisconsin and Pennsylvania)

Shawn
Without question, the greatest invention in the history of mankind is beer. Oh, I grant you that the wheel was also a fine invention, but the wheel does not go nearly as well with pizza. D Barry
www.ctownpizzaco.com
850 MAIN 812-256-2699
User

Heather Y

{ RANK }

In Time Out Room

Thu Mar 01, 2007 12:07 pm

Prospect

by Heather Y » Sat Aug 13, 2011 2:52 pm

Then "Death to chains" should not be recited 100% of the time.
Just saying, some people will be offended by it.
no avatar
User

Alison Hanover

{ RANK }

Foodie

Tue Apr 22, 2008 2:27 pm

by Alison Hanover » Sat Aug 13, 2011 3:26 pm

Thanks Shawn, I will certainly look out for those you mentioned.
Alison Hanover
User

Charles W.

{ RANK }

Foodie

Schnitzelburg

by Charles W. » Sat Aug 13, 2011 3:44 pm

Shawn Vest wrote:I appreciate the "foe" feature of the forum, yet in my opinion it produces nothing of value in the way of discourse. The opposing opinions expressed here are essential to the success of the organism. Although, I strongly disagree with several personalities here, i would rather read their opinions than censor them.
Shawn

I don't think censor means what you think it does. I don't censor anybody. I can't control what anyone posts. I can control what I read. My vocation involves dealing with opposing, strongly expressed opinions. I have no problem with those. I have found one or two folks over the years who's posting content bugs me. Rather than get in a lather, start to write a snarky response, and then deleting it before sending--I just don't read them anymore. Works great for me. I think of it as ignore rather than foe.
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Tue Feb 27, 2007 2:38 pm

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Sat Aug 13, 2011 3:48 pm

Shawn Vest wrote:I
I appreciate the "foe" feature of the forum, yet in my opinion it produces nothing of value in the way of discourse. The opposing opinions expressed here are essential to the success of the organism. Although, I strongly disagree with several personalities here, i would rather read their opinions than censor them.

Good attitude, Shawn. Thanks. (Added after reading Charles's reply: True, "censorship" connotes a government practice imposed on the people without their consent. But I knew what Shawn meant ...
User

Steve H

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Apr 17, 2008 12:27 pm

Neanderthals rock!

by Steve H » Sat Aug 13, 2011 6:19 pm

Actually, almost all the big commercial beers produced in the US are Pilsners, which are Lagers.
User

Roger A. Baylor

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sat Mar 03, 2007 2:01 pm

New Albany

by Roger A. Baylor » Sat Aug 13, 2011 8:36 pm

Steve Shade wrote:http://www.bizjournals.com/louisville/blog/morning_call/2011/08/indianapolis-inn-to-become-bud-light.html?s=newsletter&ed=2011-08-11&ana=e_lou_rdup

Roger's favorite subject.

Actually, one corporate entity (Hampton Inn) prostituting itself to another (AB-INBEV) for the sake of the "American Dream" hardly is unprecedented, but thanks for the link.

Yes, as Shawn surmised, it's Great Taste weekend in Madison WI. Sorry I missed the discussion. As a response of sorts, here's the ad I placed in the fest program.

http://potablecurmudgeon.blogspot.com/2011/08/nabcs-advertisement-in-2011-great-taste.html
Roger A. Baylor
Beer Director at Pints&union (New Albany)
Digital Editor at Food & Dining Magazine
New Albany, Indiana
User

Lonnie Turner

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sat Mar 03, 2007 10:34 am

Highlands

by Lonnie Turner » Sat Aug 13, 2011 10:09 pm

Roger A. Baylor wrote:...it's Great Taste weekend in Madison WI. Sorry I missed the discussion. As a response of sorts, here's the ad I placed in the fest program.
http://potablecurmudgeon.blogspot.com/2011/08/nabcs-advertisement-in-2011-great-taste.html

Neat ad, Roger, but as a Hoosier by birth & Highlands resident now I gotta tellya Indiana has better state government. This would likely be the case without regard to whether the Tweedle Dum party or Tweedle Dumber had the office space.

Please bring us back a report.

Robin, you mentioned something about a wine oriented forum in an earlier that you are involved in. Did you ever consider a beer one? I wonder if literally no space is taken up on Louisville HotBytes with wine threads because of such an outlet. Pretty much the only mention of wine is in the context of an overall restaurant view. Offering a place for beer geeks to hang, chat & rant as needed could be good. That would shift a lot of discussion off the solid food forum.
PreviousNext