Welcome to the Louisville Restaurants Forum, a civil place for the intelligent discussion of the local restaurant scene and just about any other topic related to food and drink in and around Louisville.

Roger Baylor/ABusch

User

Antonia L

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Sep 19, 2008 10:28 am

Cherokee Triangle

Re: Roger Baylor/ABusch

by Antonia L » Tue Aug 23, 2011 12:25 pm

Roger A. Baylor wrote:Roger never said that, but Roger will say this: It could have been much worse, because it could have been Molson Canadian Light.

:P

Look everybody, now he's speaking in the 3rd person. What a megalomaniac! :D
no avatar
User

Dan E

{ RANK }

Foodie

Wed Jul 21, 2010 7:35 am

by Dan E » Tue Aug 23, 2011 2:16 pm

Roger A. Baylor wrote:
Dan E wrote:There is your free PR to go along with the small-minded criticisms of a simple man

The answer comes from the back of one of my business cards: "Heineken stole the (red star) from the Bolsheviks. We're stealing it back."

Fair enough, but why? Are you a communist?

For the record, I believe it is your right to ascribe to any political beliefs you like. I'm just not sure I understand your affinity for linking NABC to Communism.

And I am asking for the sole purpose of understanding. I have been snarky enough for one thread.
User

Roger A. Baylor

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sat Mar 03, 2007 2:01 pm

New Albany

by Roger A. Baylor » Tue Aug 23, 2011 2:50 pm

Dan E wrote:Fair enough, but why? Are you a communist?.

Not to my knowledge, unless I'm a sleeper cell.

Dan E wrote:I'm just not sure I understand your affinity for linking NABC to Communism.?

Before the Wall fell, I spent a bit of time in several of the Warsaw Pact countries (and followed up in the years since). Nothing about it made me want to convert, but I already was interested in that part of the world, and the experiences were fascinating. I was in Europe in the fall of 1989, when World War II finally ended (the Cold War was the final chapter of the conflagration).

My chosen "affinity" is for history to be remembered, not forgotten; young people have no direct memory of Communism, and in my own small way, I try to remind folks of it by retelling my travel stories. The Red Room at the Public House began innocently, as a place to hang the posters I brought back. Now, it's a prompt to teach history.

BTW, the best Commie beer was Czech, hands down. The Silver goes to the GDR, and the Bronze to Poland.
Roger A. Baylor
Beer Director at Pints&union (New Albany)
Digital Editor at Food & Dining Magazine
New Albany, Indiana
no avatar
User

Dan E

{ RANK }

Foodie

Wed Jul 21, 2010 7:35 am

by Dan E » Tue Aug 23, 2011 3:48 pm

Fair enough, and thank you for the response. Not that you need me to tell you, but while I may not agree with your method of doing and saying things, I certainly support your right to say what you want and run your business as you please.

But when you throw out references to communism, Che, death, fascists, Goebbels, etc., without clarifying your views, you must know that people are going to get offended.

And while on one hand, I can find you offensive at times(despite us sharing similar views), on some level, I respect your adherence to your convictions, and don't mean to "attack" a man who I don't know personally.

I will continue to complain about your antics, but only while drinking Hoptimus or Elector, as a way of paying respect to my own hypocrisy.
no avatar
User

Matt F

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sun Apr 22, 2007 7:51 pm

Louisville

by Matt F » Tue Aug 23, 2011 3:54 pm

Dan E wrote:Fair enough, and thank you for the response. Not that you need me to tell you, but while I may not agree with your method of doing and saying things, I certainly support your right to say what you want and run your business as you please.

But when you throw out references to communism, Che, death, fascists, Goebbels, etc., without clarifying your views, you must know that people are going to get offended.

And while on one hand, I can find you offensive at times(despite us sharing similar views), on some level, I respect your adherence to your convictions, and don't mean to "attack" a man who I don't know personally.

I will continue to complain about your antics, but only while drinking Hoptimus or Elector, as a way of paying respect to my own hypocrisy.

possibly the best post Ive ever read on any message board in the entire history of the worldwide intranetz
I'd rather have a bottle in front of me than a frontal lobotomy

~Tom Waits
no avatar
User

Jeff Gillenwater

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Apr 19, 2007 5:07 pm

by Jeff Gillenwater » Tue Aug 23, 2011 4:00 pm

Dan E wrote: I will continue to complain about your antics, but only while drinking Hoptimus or Elector, as a way of paying respect to my own hypocrisy.

I think you just qualified as a regular. :D
User

Steve H

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Apr 17, 2008 12:27 pm

Neanderthals rock!

by Steve H » Tue Aug 23, 2011 4:17 pm

It's like watching the toy Martians in the Toy Story movie. :shock:
User

Jackie R.

{ RANK }

Foodie

Tue Mar 06, 2007 3:48 pm

Highlands

by Jackie R. » Tue Aug 23, 2011 9:35 pm

I've enjoyed this thread, so thanks to everyone involved. Especially Roger and Steve H. You guys are wonderful.
User

Steve H

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Apr 17, 2008 12:27 pm

Neanderthals rock!

by Steve H » Tue Aug 23, 2011 10:03 pm

Jackie R. wrote:I've enjoyed this thread, so thanks to everyone involved. Especially Roger and Steve H. You guys are wonderful.

You are now in my very select group of fans, along with my Mother. :lol:
User

DanB

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Sep 06, 2007 7:47 am

San Francisco

by DanB » Wed Aug 24, 2011 8:42 am

There was good beer in the GDR outside of Radeberger? Any particular names? I always heard that the GDR sold off the best ingredients for foreign exchange and made their own domestic beer out of make-do ingredients. Were these underground guys making decent beer or State-owned?

Sorry to threadjack but can't remember what the thread was about.
User

Roger A. Baylor

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sat Mar 03, 2007 2:01 pm

New Albany

by Roger A. Baylor » Fri Aug 26, 2011 3:31 pm

DanB wrote:There was good beer in the GDR outside of Radeberger? Any particular names? I always heard that the GDR sold off the best ingredients for foreign exchange and made their own domestic beer out of make-do ingredients. Were these underground guys making decent beer or State-owned? Sorry to threadjack but can't remember what the thread was about.

All state owned. The GDR was organized into regional Kombinats, and the beers with any degree of export potential (Radeberger, Wernesgruner, Kostritzer spring to mind, and perhaps Kindl in Berlin) were kept presentable. There were a few others of quality; one up in Rostock I recall being good, but the name escapes me just now.

However, and what you're recalling, are the "generic" national brands like Deutsches Helles and Deutsches Pilsner. When I was there in 1989, the students with whom I worked warned against drinking these because they were somehow adulterated, although none could find the right word to explain it. After reunification, there was an article in zymurgy magazine indicating that in lieu of hops, various bittering agents were used instead at times in these generic beers, including cattle bile.
Roger A. Baylor
Beer Director at Pints&union (New Albany)
Digital Editor at Food & Dining Magazine
New Albany, Indiana
no avatar
User

Art T

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sun Aug 22, 2010 3:57 pm

by Art T » Fri Aug 26, 2011 5:42 pm

Today I drank Stella Artois. I punched myself in the groin as punishment.
no avatar
User

Rob Coffey

{ RANK }

Foodie

Wed Feb 06, 2008 12:17 pm

by Rob Coffey » Sat Aug 27, 2011 10:28 am

Art T wrote:Today I drank Stella Artois. I punched myself in the groin as punishment.

Seems appropriate. It is nicknamed "wife beater" in the UK for a reason.

For that reason, the American Stella marketing always makes me laugh.
Previous