Welcome to the Louisville Restaurants Forum, a civil place for the intelligent discussion of the local restaurant scene and just about any other topic related to food and drink in and around Louisville.

Roger Baylor/ABusch

User

Bill P

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sat Mar 15, 2008 9:20 am

Depauw, IN

Re: Roger Baylor/ABusch

by Bill P » Fri Aug 12, 2011 3:25 pm

Seems like there are more than a couple of posters who like to be critical of other people's tastes in beer. I participate in about 4 or 5 wine on-line forums and winos are supposed to be THE snobs, but I can't recall the last time someone criticized someone else for drinking a less than geeky bottle of wine. It would appear to me the wine people are more likely to subscribe to the "if you like it, go ahead and drink it" school of taste..
Of course, it could be that Hotbyters are not representative of the larger craft beer aficionado base.

Bp

In the interest of full disclosure, I drink perhaps a 6 packof beer per month and cannot recall the last time I had Bud, Miller, PBR etc.
User

Shawn Vest

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sun Jul 15, 2007 9:10 pm

850 main street, charlestown, indiana

by Shawn Vest » Fri Aug 12, 2011 3:55 pm

I have to first note that a "shtick" is a "a comic theme or gimmick". Having known RB for close to 15 years let me assure you that there is no shtick, there is nothing contrived or insincere about RB's devotion to the local/craft scene.

Let's see - local business owner with a passion for his craft and a well known and established history of being a stalwart of the "craft/local" movement, but its a "shtick".

Honestly, many business owners don't have the guts to actually stand up for the things that they believe in and/or the products they sell, yet RB has been doing it for twenty years (long before craft beer was on the radar of most of us).

Regardless of your like or dislike of his personality, to place his passion for his trade into the category of shtick is pretty ridiculous.

I will never grow tired of local business owners who have a passion for their craft.

Why drink swill, when you have the ability to choose a better beverage made by a local?

Shawn
Without question, the greatest invention in the history of mankind is beer. Oh, I grant you that the wheel was also a fine invention, but the wheel does not go nearly as well with pizza. D Barry
www.ctownpizzaco.com
850 MAIN 812-256-2699
no avatar
User

Dan E

{ RANK }

Foodie

Wed Jul 21, 2010 7:35 am

by Dan E » Fri Aug 12, 2011 4:01 pm

Shawn Vest wrote:I have to first note that a "shtick" is a "a comic theme or gimmick". Having known RB for close to 15 years let me assure you that there is no shtick, there is nothing contrived or insincere about RB's devotion to the local/craft scene.

Let's see - local business owner with a passion for his craft and a well known and established history of being a stalwart of the "craft/local" movement, but its a "shtick".

Honestly, many business owners don't have the guts to actually stand up for the things that they believe in and/or the products they sell, yet RB has been doing it for twenty years (long before craft beer was on the radar of most of us).

Regardless of your like or dislike of his personality, to place his passion for his trade into the category of shtick is pretty ridiculous.

I will never grow tired of local business owners who have a passion for their craft.

Why drink swill, when you have the ability to choose a better beverage made by a local?

Shawn

I would never take issue with a business owner, or anyone else for that matter, for having values, regardless of whether those values differ than those of my own.

I would, however, take issue with said hypothetical business owner for being a condescending jerk.
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Tue Feb 27, 2007 2:38 pm

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Fri Aug 12, 2011 4:17 pm

Mike Hardin wrote:Why not get a slushie and empty a pint of Everclear into it? You'd certainly have more flavor. :D

I think "easy availability" is another factor here, and "social acceptance" too. But you make a good point, Mike. Each to his/her own tastes!
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Fri Aug 12, 2011 4:19 pm

Dan E wrote:[I would, however, take issue with said hypothetical business owner for being a condescending jerk.

Now we're getting a little nasty, never mind the use of the past pluperfect subjunctive to depersonalize it. Let's not go there, please.
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Fri Aug 12, 2011 4:20 pm

annemarie m wrote:"I would, however, take issue with said hypothetical business owner for being a condescending jerk".
Dan E

well stated.

Not really. See my note to Dan. Descending into nastiness doesn't distinguish anyone.
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Fri Aug 12, 2011 4:22 pm

Shawn Vest wrote:Regardless of your like or dislike of his personality, to place his passion for his trade into the category of shtick is pretty ridiculous.

I like Roger, I like you, Shawn, and I'm basically on board with everything you said about artisanal and local.

However, "shtick" in my usage wasn't meant as pejorative. I do not mean that his thought-out philosophy about local and artisanal production is a shtick. Not at all. However, his penchant for humorously adding "Death to chains" in forum discussions might be a shtick. :lol:
User

Lonnie Turner

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sat Mar 03, 2007 10:34 am

Highlands

by Lonnie Turner » Fri Aug 12, 2011 4:23 pm

Bill P wrote:It would appear to me the wine people are more likely to subscribe to the "if you like it, go ahead and drink it" school of taste..

If 90% of the world's wine production was controlled by a couple of companies like Gallo, et al, with ad campaigns & sports sponsorships pushing to keep 90% of wine drinkers thinking Ripple, Boone's Farm & T.J. Swann is better than [fill in the blank], would true wine lovers still be so laid back about it? Probably old examples, I've not had much wine since the '70s, but the point remains.
User

Antonia L

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Sep 19, 2008 10:28 am

Cherokee Triangle

by Antonia L » Fri Aug 12, 2011 4:24 pm

I appreciate Roger's contributions to the restaurant scene and this message board. Not everyone does. Not everyone likes everything. What is it annemarie says when people don't appreciate her posts? "If you don't like it, don't read it"?
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Fri Aug 12, 2011 4:27 pm

Lonnie Turner wrote:the point remains.

It does, and it's a good one. I think Bill may be missing a point, especially if he's talking about the wine forums I moderate, sister forums to these:

http://www.wineloverspage.com/forum/vil ... um.php?f=5

EVERYBODY in those forums is a wine geek. To draw a parallel, HotBytes would have to be entirely composed of serious beer peeps. If nobody in the room liked mega-swill, nobody in the room would be offended by references to it.

You could go to my wine forum and get some snickers by reference to Two Buck Chuck, Carlo Rossi or white Zinfandel, but basically you'd get a yawn because nobody would be interested.

The attitudes aren't different but the communities might be.
no avatar
User

Dan E

{ RANK }

Foodie

Wed Jul 21, 2010 7:35 am

by Dan E » Fri Aug 12, 2011 4:42 pm

Robin Garr wrote:
Dan E wrote:[I would, however, take issue with said hypothetical business owner for being a condescending jerk.

Now we're getting a little nasty, never mind the use of the past pluperfect subjunctive to depersonalize it. Let's not go there, please.

How are you going to call me out for etiquette and then dis my pluperfect subjunctive n front of everybody?!

:D

No, i guess you are right, Robin.

I may disagree with his methods, but I don't know Roger personally, and I suppose name-calling is unnecessary.

BUT, as a huge proponent of good beer, I often feel that he and I have similar goals, but I continue to be put off by his methods, and wonder if he does a mutual cause a disservice.

I have numerous friends who drink bud/miller/whatever. I frequently try to get them to drink my "fancy" beers.

I find that "Hey, try this", works a lot better than "Die, Stupid. You're a sheep and your tastes are inferior".
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Fri Aug 12, 2011 5:05 pm

Dan E wrote:BUT, as a huge proponent of good beer, I often feel that he and I have similar goals, but I continue to be put off by his methods, and wonder if he does a mutual cause a disservice.

I have numerous friends who drink bud/miller/whatever. I frequently try to get them to drink my "fancy" beers.

I find that "Hey, try this", works a lot better than "Die, Stupid. You're a sheep and your tastes are inferior".

Thank you. You're a good man. And I agree with all this. In a way it's sort of like mainline vs fundamentalist evangelism. :mrgreen:
no avatar
User

KimberlyW

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sat Jun 18, 2011 8:42 pm

by KimberlyW » Fri Aug 12, 2011 7:13 pm

I love a very good cheeseburger, actually have developed a love of a finely crafted Bison Burger. Shady Lane and Bluegrass Burgers have my heart. However. Once in awhile. I LONG for a bag of white castles. Can't explain it, yes I know, I know, but YUM I love those little bites of awesomeness. (ok, usually after too many Bud Lights). ;)
User

Heather Y

{ RANK }

In Time Out Room

Thu Mar 01, 2007 12:07 pm

Prospect

by Heather Y » Fri Aug 12, 2011 8:37 pm

I have a question: Those who yell death to chains means that they do not participate in chain restaurants, it get that. What I would like to know is where does this individual purchase their clothing items.... , how are their towels, aprons, and chef 's coats being laundered? where does the individual buy gas for the car, do they drive a car? and was it locally made, When traveling to Europe, does said person fly a locally crafted, privately piloted plane.

Just curious, I am waiting for some hypocrisy to rear it's ugly head.

Retracted furniture, because that was actually locally made.
User

Bill R

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sun Mar 04, 2007 10:02 am

Middletown

by Bill R » Fri Aug 12, 2011 9:07 pm

[quote="annemarie m"]roger's shtick ... is getting annoying for some people, as i have had many emails from people telling me so, and how arrogant he is about the whole run of the mill mass produced beer vs, craft beer. and his distain for chains. it's getting old and tiresome for some on here.

Thank You
I can't agree more.
PreviousNext