Welcome to the Louisville Restaurants Forum, a civil place for the intelligent discussion of the local restaurant scene and just about any other topic related to food and drink in and around Louisville.

Outside pests

no avatar
User

Will Crawford

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Mar 02, 2007 3:51 pm

Outside pests

by Will Crawford » Tue Sep 25, 2007 3:10 pm

What would you do?

A table of ladies wanted to sit out side. They each ordered a different glass of wine. One of the ladies ordered a fairly expensive glass and within two sips a fly flew in to the glass. She told her server who brought her another glass. The lady expected us to not charge her for it. In the interest of customer service I comped the wine. My feelings are that if you are outside you take your chances with pests. Inside is another story.
Will Crawford
no avatar
User

Ron Johnson

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 11:48 am

by Ron Johnson » Tue Sep 25, 2007 3:14 pm

This is why I couldn't own a restaurant. I would've stuck my hand in her glass, pulled out the fly, and said, "there ya go." absolutely unreal.
no avatar
User

TanyaD

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 11:31 am

Louisville

by TanyaD » Tue Sep 25, 2007 3:19 pm

I agree with Ron--Jeez, it's not like the fly is gonna drink that much! :)
no avatar
User

Beth K.

{ RANK }

Foodie

Wed May 23, 2007 2:18 pm

by Beth K. » Tue Sep 25, 2007 3:28 pm

Will, I think in a perfect world you're completely right. It isn't as though she was served a glass of wine with a fly already in it. But, in the interest of your business, I think you did the right thing. If you had not comped it, it would have turned into a big ordeal and the rumor going around town would be that you served wine with flies in it and refused to resolve the situation. Sad, but true. I used to work at a restaurant with a busy patio and that kind of crap happened all the time. People would have a wisteria leaf blow onto their salad and want a new one!
no avatar
User

Will Crawford

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Mar 02, 2007 3:51 pm

by Will Crawford » Tue Sep 25, 2007 3:33 pm

Ron Johnson wrote:This is why I couldn't own a restaurant. I would've stuck my hand in her glass, pulled out the fly, and said, "there ya go." absolutely unreal.

I fight that kind of impulse always. It really sucked because it was $8.50 glass of wine. I almost drank it myself and said see it taste better now.
Will Crawford
no avatar
User

Bill Veneman

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 12:35 pm

East End outside of the Watterson, but not afraid to travel for good grub

My thoughts.........

by Bill Veneman » Tue Sep 25, 2007 4:06 pm

Remove the fly (he didn't drink much, and will die with a buzz), and the alchol will kill any contaminants that he was carrying......drink on!
If life's a Banquet, what's with all the Tofu?

Cheers!

Bill V.
no avatar
User

Kurt R.

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Aug 23, 2007 9:08 am

Louisville, KY

by Kurt R. » Tue Sep 25, 2007 5:30 pm

I can't believe people. My immediate response would be "I'm sorry but he didn't drink much." I am no longer in the the business of owning my own restaurant, but why would you sit outside if you are so uptight? What would they do at home or at a party? Unrealistic expectations from the customer, I'd say.
I hope you told the customer that you couldn't be expected to buy her drink again.
Kurt

Character is measured by a series of split second decisions.
no avatar
User

carla griffin

{ RANK }

Foodie

Wed Mar 07, 2007 8:32 pm

by carla griffin » Wed Sep 26, 2007 6:38 am

Or maybe...
"A fly in your drink? Please, not so loud, everyone will want one." :wink:
Carla
There is one thing more exasperating than a wife who can cook and won't, and that's a wife who can't cook and will. ~Robert Frost
no avatar
User

Ron Johnson

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 11:48 am

by Ron Johnson » Wed Sep 26, 2007 10:02 am

This is all the more reason to order a vodka straight up with a twist when dining al fresco. When the fly hits that 80 proof vodka he lasts about 5 seconds.
no avatar
User

David Clancy

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 12:09 pm

A couch in Andy's house.

by David Clancy » Wed Sep 26, 2007 10:28 am

Will Crawford wrote:
Ron Johnson wrote:This is why I couldn't own a restaurant. I would've stuck my hand in her glass, pulled out the fly, and said, "there ya go." absolutely unreal.

I fight that kind of impulse always. It really sucked because it was $8.50 glass of wine. I almost drank it myself and said see it taste better now.
$8.50 Willie?? Damn, for that price I would ask for 2 flies!....LOL
David Clancy
Fabulous Old Louisville
(Is this your homework Larry?)