Welcome to the Louisville Restaurants Forum, a civil place for the intelligent discussion of the local restaurant scene and just about any other topic related to food and drink in and around Louisville.
no avatar
User

Allison Williams

{ RANK }

Foodie

Wed May 02, 2007 10:26 am

Highlands

by Allison Williams » Tue Sep 25, 2007 4:35 pm

Not that I know anything about pizza :wink: :wink: but assuming that I do I would assume a Tuscan Pizza would be loaded with fresh garden vegetables, alotta tomatoes, white beans, olive oil, sage and rosemary......... with a little bit of cheese to bind. I think that would cover the region as a whole. Just my guess. heheh
"It had long since come to my attention that people of accomplishment rarely sat back and let things happen to them. They went out and happened to things." ~Leonardo da Vinci
no avatar
User

Vince Yustas

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 3:38 pm

Brandenburg, KY

by Vince Yustas » Tue Sep 25, 2007 7:57 pm

Allison Williams wrote:loaded with fresh garden vegetables, alotta tomatoes, white beans, olive oil, sage and rosemary......... with a little bit of cheese to bind. I think that would cover the region as a whole. Just my guess. heheh

Spot on, Allison! Here's what Wikipeidia has to say about Tuscan cuisine:

Simplicity is popular in the cuisine in Tuscany. Legumes, bread, cheese, crisp vegetables, mushrooms and fresh seasonal fruit are popular food items. Olive oil is an integral ingredient in Tuscany made from the Moraiolo, Leccino, Frantoio, and Pendolino olives. White truffles from San Miniato are a distinct specialty that appear in October and November. Beef of the highest quality come from the Chiana Valley, specifically a breed known as Maremma used for the famed t-bone steaks known as florentine steak. Pork is another integral protein to the Tuscan cuisine.[23]

By the way, folks. While I was snooping around Wiki I ran across this most amazingly comprehensive "list" of Italian food:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Italian_dishes#Tuscany
Vince Yustas
Brandenburg (nee Paterson, NJ) KY
"Only a fool argues with a skunk, a mule or the cook."
no avatar
User

Jon K

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 10:22 pm

by Jon K » Tue Sep 25, 2007 10:55 pm

Tuscan pizza - feh. They only steal from the genius of the greatest pizzaiola of all time - the divine genius Raffaele Esposito! Image
no avatar
User

TanyaD

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 11:31 am

Louisville

Tuscany

by TanyaD » Wed Sep 26, 2007 11:24 am

Speaking of Tuscany, a new restaurant opened in the strip mall next to the new Wal-Mart on the Outer Loop (by Newcut) called Tuscany Italian Restaurant. I haven't been yet, but the initial buzz is good. The chef supposedly lived in Italy for a while and brought back his skills.
no avatar
User

Kim H

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 12:07 pm

Louisville

Re: Tuscany

by Kim H » Wed Sep 26, 2007 8:35 pm

TanyaD wrote:Speaking of Tuscany, a new restaurant opened in the strip mall next to the new Wal-Mart on the Outer Loop (by Newcut) called Tuscany Italian Restaurant. I haven't been yet, but the initial buzz is good. The chef supposedly lived in Italy for a while and brought back his skills.

Would love to know more about that restaurant - it's not too far from work.
no avatar
User

Kim H

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 12:07 pm

Louisville

Re: Just flown in from Tuscany...

by Kim H » Wed Sep 26, 2007 8:53 pm

Deb Hall wrote:So what, exactly makes these pizzas "Tuscan"? :roll:

http://www.bizjournals.com/louisville/stories/2007/09/24/daily5.html?f=et66&ana=e_du

Deb

Everyone and their sister restaurant is using the Tuscan keyword these days, much like ingredients such as chipotle have been abused recently. It's trendy. Honestly, when I hear Tuscan anymore, I don't really expect Tuscan style food, unless I know the it's a restaurant who lives up to their menu.

(and let's not forget that a beloved favorite on this board has has a 'Tuscan' pizza on their menu for some time, and the same arguments could be made against their pizza to an extent. i don't care what it's called if it tastes good. think i'll order a boombozz one now.... : 0)
no avatar
User

GaryF

{ RANK }

Foodie

Wed Apr 25, 2007 12:05 am

by GaryF » Thu Sep 27, 2007 12:52 am

A friend is in town at the Galt House and I noticed a "Tuscan" Pizza on the room service menu made with Kalamata Olives. I had no idea there was such a large Greek community in those lovely hills.
no avatar
User

Shawn Vest

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sun Jul 15, 2007 9:10 pm

850 main street, charlestown, indiana

by Shawn Vest » Thu Sep 27, 2007 11:30 pm

ahh the papa

folowing the debacle of domino's brooklyn style (which i'm sure killed many a new yorker)
its hardly any wonder that the papa is out of fresh concepts

his original pies were good,
but grating cheese and pre packaging it causes it to loose all the flavor and texture - no matter what six cheeses you use

concentrate on making great pizzas not new pizzas

pizza from a box, bag, can, or the freezer doesn't stand a chance with a fresh pie - wheter its from the CPC, NABC, Impelli's, or Wicks
Without question, the greatest invention in the history of mankind is beer. Oh, I grant you that the wheel was also a fine invention, but the wheel does not go nearly as well with pizza. D Barry
www.ctownpizzaco.com
850 MAIN 812-256-2699
no avatar
User

Tony P.

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sat Mar 03, 2007 2:32 am

Esposito

by Tony P. » Sun Sep 30, 2007 1:01 pm

Jon K wrote:Tuscan pizza - feh. They only steal from the genius of the greatest pizzaiola of all time - the divine genius Raffaele Esposito! Image

I had the honor of meeting and also eating the wonderful pizzas of his Great-Grandson in Naples this year. It was a sight to see.

Tony
no avatar
User

Jon K

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 10:22 pm

Re: Esposito

by Jon K » Sun Sep 30, 2007 4:19 pm

Tony P. wrote:I had the honor of meeting and also eating the wonderful pizzas of his Great-Grandson in Naples this year. It was a sight to see.

Please share more!

no avatar
User

Steve Magruder

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sun Apr 08, 2007 10:57 am

Louisville, KY - Iroquois/Auburndale area

Re: Tuscany

by Steve Magruder » Mon Oct 01, 2007 3:31 pm

TanyaD wrote:Speaking of Tuscany, a new restaurant opened in the strip mall next to the new Wal-Mart on the Outer Loop (by Newcut) called Tuscany Italian Restaurant. I haven't been yet, but the initial buzz is good. The chef supposedly lived in Italy for a while and brought back his skills.

Yeah, not only have I been getting good buzz, but I've been there once and yes, the food was unexpectedly fantastic. I'm going back.

What's unique about this restaurant is that the menu not only has a wide range of Italian dishes, but it also has Italian dishes with a Mexican flair, strangely enough. In fact, I think the owners are Mexican, but that's just a guess. They even serve a really good queso to go along with the marinara for their really good tasting appetizer bread.

Garr, ya gotta check this one out. :D
Steve Magruder
Metro Foodist
no avatar
User

Ron Johnson

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 11:48 am

by Ron Johnson » Mon Oct 01, 2007 4:18 pm

mmmm, tuscan nachos . . .
no avatar
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Tue Feb 27, 2007 2:38 pm

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Mon Oct 01, 2007 4:28 pm

Ron Johnson wrote:mmmm, tuscan nachos . . .

Cannellini frijoles?
no avatar
User

Vince Yustas

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 3:38 pm

Brandenburg, KY

by Vince Yustas » Mon Oct 01, 2007 10:42 pm

Ron Johnson wrote:mmmm, tuscan nachos . . .

Mussels Grande
Vince Yustas
Brandenburg (nee Paterson, NJ) KY
"Only a fool argues with a skunk, a mule or the cook."
no avatar
User

Deb Hall

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sun Mar 04, 2007 4:46 pm

Highlands , Louisville

by Deb Hall » Tue Oct 02, 2007 10:41 am

Parmigiano-Reggiano & Proscuitto Quesadillas?????
Previous