Welcome to the Louisville Restaurants Forum, a civil place for the intelligent discussion of the local restaurant scene and just about any other topic related to food and drink in and around Louisville.

Azalea-New Restaurant?

no avatar
User

MollyCooley

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sun Sep 09, 2007 6:07 pm

East End

Azalea-New Restaurant?

by MollyCooley » Mon Sep 24, 2007 12:44 pm

Does anyone out there know what will be going into the now defunct Azalea?
no avatar
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Tue Feb 27, 2007 2:38 pm

Crescent Hill

Re: Azalea-New Restaurant?

by Robin Garr » Mon Sep 24, 2007 3:01 pm

MollyCooley wrote:Does anyone out there know what will be going into the now defunct Azalea?

Molly, there was a rumor (discussed in an Azalea closing topic somewhere down the forum) that either Porcini or a group of investors including some Porcini people and maybe Rick Pitino were taking a close look. Haven't heard any recent follow-up, though.
no avatar
User

Kurt R.

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Aug 23, 2007 9:08 am

Louisville, KY

by Kurt R. » Mon Sep 24, 2007 4:58 pm

Last I heard there was talk about Porcini's and Pitino, but only talk. I don't think anyone has an offer to go in there at this point.
Kurt

Character is measured by a series of split second decisions.
no avatar
User

David Clancy

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 12:09 pm

A couch in Andy's house.

Re: Azalea-New Restaurant?

by David Clancy » Mon Sep 24, 2007 5:19 pm

Robin Garr wrote:
MollyCooley wrote:Does anyone out there know what will be going into the now defunct Azalea?

Molly, there was a rumor (discussed in an Azalea closing topic somewhere down the forum) that either Porcini or a group of investors including some Porcini people and maybe Rick Pitino were taking a close look. Haven't heard any recent follow-up, though.
I'll buy it!!..........(hope they'll take a credit card.....)
David Clancy
Fabulous Old Louisville
(Is this your homework Larry?)
no avatar
User

Rob_DeLessio

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Jun 18, 2007 10:25 pm

by Rob_DeLessio » Tue Oct 02, 2007 11:49 pm

Last I heard Ricky P won out on the bid for the lease, and that it will open again under the name Azalea....Rick's right hand man Tim Coury (sp?) from Porcini will be highly involved.
no avatar
User

Anthony Lamas

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Apr 26, 2007 8:41 pm

by Anthony Lamas » Thu Oct 04, 2007 7:02 pm

Ok! I have to set the record straight. I was in Miami the past few days with a few of my chefs, doing a little reserch for the new place. Coach Pitino was doing some recruiting and spending some time at his beautiful home in Miami. I talked to him about the rumor, about him opening a restaurant, and he said " I did hear this , but it's not true, I'm to busy to have a restaurant" I was told that no restaurant was going there, but in fact, that Walgreens had purchased the spot. I'm so surprised that no other restaurant is going there, because it's a prime location. Anyways, this was told to me from Pitino himself. I tell you, rumors, rumors, rumors! Like that song " look at all these rumors around me everyday, I just need some time, to make them go away" Gosh! do I know this.
no avatar
User

Bill R

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sun Mar 04, 2007 10:02 am

Middletown

by Bill R » Thu Oct 04, 2007 9:48 pm

As of yesterday, no one has purchased the property.
no avatar
User

NicoleP

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 15, 2007 12:44 am

by NicoleP » Thu Oct 04, 2007 10:06 pm

I heard on Wave3 tonight it is going to be a Walgreens...Louisville apparently doesn't have enough, just like we don't have enough Starbucks...(sarcasm intended of course:)
no avatar
User

RonnieD

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Aug 23, 2007 12:09 pm

The rolling acres of Henry County

by RonnieD » Fri Oct 05, 2007 12:18 am

That is too nice of a spot, and building really, to have run over by rampant capitalism! Somebody buy it already! Give us something good to eat!

But I am excited about this research in Miami you speak of....
Ronnie Dingman
Chef Consultant
The Farm
La Center, KY
no avatar
User

Ethan Ray

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 2:30 pm

by Ethan Ray » Fri Oct 05, 2007 1:29 am

how the hell is a Walgreen's gonna fit in that space?

demolition?
Ethan Ray

I put vegetables in your desserts, white chocolate with your fish and other nonsense stuff that you think shouldn't make sense, but coax the nonsense into something that makes complete sense in your mouth. Just open your mind, mouth and eat.
no avatar
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Fri Oct 05, 2007 7:44 am

Ethan Ray wrote:how the hell is a Walgreen's gonna fit in that space?

demolition?

Walgreen's generally demolishes and rebuilds, doesn't it? Seems like that would stir up a certain amount of community outrage with a somewhat historic building. Maybe Leah can give us some technocratic insight on this.
no avatar
User

Aaron Newton

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 15, 2007 3:34 pm

by Aaron Newton » Fri Oct 05, 2007 8:18 am

Robin Garr wrote:Walgreen's generally demolishes and rebuilds, doesn't it?

Yeap... putting up a cookie cutter building at every turn.

At least Starbucks has the decency to either use existing buildings or, when building new ones, put up something that isn't identical to every other location.
no avatar
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Fri Oct 05, 2007 8:32 am

Aaron Newton wrote:Yeap... putting up a cookie cutter building at every turn.

And they're mostly that hokey design that looks like a two-story building but really isn't.

This seems almost crazy, though, given that they just opened a new one at Frankfort and Bauer, midway between the two that were already fairly close at Frankfort and Ewing and Frankfort and Fairmeade. This will be the fourth in Crescent Hill/St. Matthews!
no avatar
User

Ron Johnson

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 11:48 am

by Ron Johnson » Fri Oct 05, 2007 8:43 am

Walgreen's business model is to always locate stores in the best possible real estate locations. One of the values of owning the company stock is that it is the owner of some of the most prime commercial real estate in the country. I wonder how those hoity-toity folks in the million dollar homes around there are going to like this?
no avatar
User

TP Lowe

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Mar 02, 2007 6:00 am

Shelby County

by TP Lowe » Fri Oct 05, 2007 9:04 am

They actually lease most of their stores - owned fewer than 20% at the end of last year. That still means they own more than a couple thousand, though.

I marvel that their ability to expand without cannibalizing their other stores (or at least the don't admit it).
Next