Welcome to the Louisville Restaurants Forum, a civil place for the intelligent discussion of the local restaurant scene and just about any other topic related to food and drink in and around Louisville.
no avatar
User

Jeremy J

{ RANK }

Foodie

Tue Mar 20, 2007 11:30 am

Louisville, KY

Annoying new trend in bars...your thoughts?

by Jeremy J » Sat Sep 22, 2007 12:58 pm

Ok...this happened a couple of times in bars in Louisville and I wrote it off as inexperienced 21 year old bartenders who were hired not so much for skills as looks, then it happened once or twice while I was travelling with my band (the bars were semi-divey so maybe they get a pass) but the kicker was at a reasonably swanky and expensive bar in San Francisco.

I like Gin, I do not like to mix Gin. I like my Gin on the rocks with a twist. A twist is a twist of lemon rind, but constantly these days when I ask for a Gin on the rocks with a twist I'm given a squeeze of LIME!@?!??W?@#!
It's a minor pet peeve, I know, but seriously is this just ignorance? Is there some hip new terminology I'm not aware of? It just baffles me, and really takes away from the flavor of the drink...gah!
no avatar
User

Ron Johnson

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 11:48 am

by Ron Johnson » Sat Sep 22, 2007 1:46 pm

It is annoying. I recently ordered a Ketle One up with a twist. I was served a shot glass of warm vodka with a lemon wedge on the side. Oy vey.
no avatar
User

Jessica Devine

{ RANK }

Foodie

Wed Mar 07, 2007 10:29 pm

Germantown

by Jessica Devine » Sat Sep 22, 2007 4:01 pm

A man once ordered an Amstel with a lime twist so I brought an Amstel with a lime rind twist. He yelled at me and said that he wanted a real lime twist so on this one occasion, I corrected him. I felt better--I don't know about him.
no avatar
User

MikeG

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 3:22 pm

Twin Cities, MN

by MikeG » Sat Sep 22, 2007 6:16 pm

This is what you get for not being edge, dude. :P
no avatar
User

Mark R.

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Apr 09, 2007 12:02 pm

Anchorage, KY

by Mark R. » Sat Sep 22, 2007 10:08 pm

I thought I was bad complaining about a bartender not been able to make a good Manhattan or Old Fashioned in many local bars. I mean they're basic drinks that any bartender should be able to make proficiency. I can't believe any place would let a person tend bar and couldn't understand what a "twist" meant or when to use it! Maybe there should be a competency test for bartenders (I'll volunteer to sample!).
Written using Dragon NaturallySpeaking

"Life is short. Drink the good wine first"
no avatar
User

Ethan Ray

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 2:30 pm

by Ethan Ray » Sun Sep 23, 2007 12:08 am

MikeG wrote:This is what you get for not being edge, dude. :P

...i may have been the only other one who got this joke. :wink:
Ethan Ray

I put vegetables in your desserts, white chocolate with your fish and other nonsense stuff that you think shouldn't make sense, but coax the nonsense into something that makes complete sense in your mouth. Just open your mind, mouth and eat.
no avatar
User

carla griffin

{ RANK }

Foodie

Wed Mar 07, 2007 8:32 pm

by carla griffin » Sun Sep 23, 2007 10:59 am

The trend to hire" looks" instead of "skills" unfortunately isn't limited to bars. I think when consumers complain about poor service it frequently comes from an employee that was hired to be attractive instead of competent. Don't get me wrong...I'm all for handsome or pretty, but train them for pity's sake! Don't assume we will all be so bowled over by attractiveness that we overlook the crappy service. :roll:
Carla
There is one thing more exasperating than a wife who can cook and won't, and that's a wife who can't cook and will. ~Robert Frost
no avatar
User

MikeG

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 3:22 pm

Twin Cities, MN

by MikeG » Sun Sep 23, 2007 12:37 pm

Ethan Ray wrote:
MikeG wrote:This is what you get for not being edge, dude. :P

...i may have been the only other one who got this joke. :wink:

Jeremy better get it before I break out more SHP and Rainbow Girls jokes. :)
no avatar
User

Jeremy J

{ RANK }

Foodie

Tue Mar 20, 2007 11:30 am

Louisville, KY

by Jeremy J » Sun Sep 23, 2007 2:05 pm

no avatar
User

Beth K.

{ RANK }

Foodie

Wed May 23, 2007 2:18 pm

by Beth K. » Mon Sep 24, 2007 12:18 pm

I was at dinner once with a friend who ordered a scotch neat. It came out in a rocks glass full of ice. He sent it back and the same drink arrived, filtered from the ice, cold and diluted, in a martini glass! He was really embarrased and had to explain to the server to explain to the bartender what 'neat' meant. Pathetic! Could there be an easier bartending term? I think not.
no avatar
User

James Paul

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Apr 06, 2007 2:08 am

Seymour, Texas

by James Paul » Thu Sep 27, 2007 3:16 am

Me thinks you would have specify a lemon twist as lime is the traditional twist served with gin.

Also Jessica is correct about the twist, it's the rind of lemon or lime, twisted
in a fancy curly Q ( there is corresponding technique to this ).

Ms. J's customer obviously thought he was ordering lime as shown and seen served with Corona and other Mexican beers to somehow rectify a bacteria
in the water, which is of course rediculas but delicioso!

:roll:
Every days a holiday and every meals a feast !