Welcome to the Louisville Restaurants Forum, a civil place for the intelligent discussion of the local restaurant scene and just about any other topic related to food and drink in and around Louisville.
no avatar
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Tue Feb 27, 2007 2:38 pm

Crescent Hill

Louisville Mag reviews Lentini's, Mayan Cafe

by Robin Garr » Sat Sep 22, 2007 8:41 am

Catching up on Louisville Magazine's Website, I found it updated with the August edition; and if I'm reading it right, the mag offers <i>two</i> full-length (over 700 words each) restaurant reviews in this issue, both highly positive.

Lentini's Ristorante
By Melanie Wolkoff Wachsman

<B>Lentini's</B>
1543 Bardstown Road
479-0607

Mayan - And More
By Stephen Hacker

<b>Mayan Cafe</b>
813 E. Market Street
566-0651
no avatar
User

Steve Shade

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Mar 02, 2007 10:53 am

by Steve Shade » Sat Sep 22, 2007 12:00 pm

Hacker is more of a "critic" than Louisville Magazine had been. Used to, virtually of the "reviews" were positive puff pieces.

Melanie seems to be mostly puff, from what I have seen in the magazine.
no avatar
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Sat Sep 22, 2007 12:43 pm

Steve Shade wrote:Hacker is more of a "critic" than Louisville Magazine had been. Used to, virtually of the "reviews" were positive puff pieces.

Melanie seems to be mostly puff, from what I have seen in the magazine.

I don't get the mag regularly, and they've been updating their website only sporadically (although that seems to be improving a bit), so I don't watch it closely. I did notice that Hacker will salt in an occasional negative comment (he wasn't impressed by Mayan Cafe's desserts, for instance). Still, the overall tone of the reviews strikes me as remaining a good fit with the magazine's long-term status as an excellent, well-produced and generally positive, pro-city publication.

Melanie wrote a story for Food & Dining once.
no avatar
User

Charles W.

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 12:53 pm

Schnitzelburg

by Charles W. » Sat Sep 22, 2007 1:27 pm

I assume you saw the pretty critical review of Rivue and the review of Bistro New Albany?
no avatar
User

Vince Yustas

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 3:38 pm

Brandenburg, KY

by Vince Yustas » Sat Sep 22, 2007 1:50 pm

I guess they're right when they say there's no accounting for taste!

Melanie's review of Lentini's knocked the:
"filetto di manzo ai funghi con profumo di tartufo (beef tenderloin sautéed with fresh mushrooms and truffle oil, $24) was also mediocre. A heavy, oily sauce, overwhelmed with truffle oil, covered the tenderloin. I love truffles, but this dosage overpowered the beef as well as the large portions of portobello and button mushrooms."

My wife, I, and our nephew (a professional waiter from Birmingham). loved the dish, particularly the truffle sauce, which we feel makes the dish. Both my wife and I have reordered it on subsequent visits (the nephew's back in AL -- only visited once).

Oh, well. Guess that's why Churchill Downs is in business.
Vince Yustas
Brandenburg (nee Paterson, NJ) KY
"Only a fool argues with a skunk, a mule or the cook."
no avatar
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Sat Sep 22, 2007 2:00 pm

Charles W. wrote:I assume you saw the pretty critical review of Rivue and the review of Bistro New Albany?

No, I didn't ... as I said, I rarely see the mag in print, and the Website - at lesat until recently - has been updated only sporadically, so I'm out of the habit of checking it. Tell me more! I hope they didn't bash BNA.
no avatar
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Sat Sep 22, 2007 2:02 pm

Vince Yustas wrote:I guess they're right when they say there's no accounting for taste!

Melanie's review of Lentini's knocked the:
"filetto di manzo ai funghi con profumo di tartufo (beef tenderloin sautéed with fresh mushrooms and truffle oil, $24) was also mediocre. A heavy, oily sauce, overwhelmed with truffle oil, covered the tenderloin. I love truffles, but this dosage overpowered the beef as well as the large portions of portobello and button mushrooms."

My wife, I, and our nephew (a professional waiter from Birmingham). loved the dish, particularly the truffle sauce, which we feel makes the dish. Both my wife and I have reordered it on subsequent visits (the nephew's back in AL -- only visited once).

Oh, well. Guess that's why Churchill Downs is in business.

Good points all around, Vince. By the time I got to the second review and digested the intro, I guess I pretty much skimmed the rest of the Lentini review. I did notice that it had apparently been written far in advance of publication, as it alluded to the Middletown property as a future opening.
no avatar
User

Charles W.

{ RANK }

Foodie

Schnitzelburg

by Charles W. » Sat Sep 22, 2007 2:25 pm

On Rivue: "I probably respect skill puffery more than most people. But one of the problems of building things up is the risk of providing even more of a letdown--which is how I ended up feeling after a couple of recent visits to Rivue . . ." Stephen Hacker basically says the setting is stunning, the food disappointing.

Melanie Wachsman reviewed Bistro New Albany. First visit there was a special event at BNA and the service and food was disappointing. The second visit was much better, and she attributes the first visit to "an off-night."
no avatar
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Sat Sep 22, 2007 2:39 pm

Charles W. wrote:On Rivue:

Thanks, Charles! I appreciate your taking the time to look up and post those examples. It does appear that Louisville mag's restaurant writers are expressing critical opinions a bit more freely than has been my impression in the past. I can't fault them for trying to accentuate the positive. I think we all do that, mainly because most readers would rather have a good place pointed out and good dishes recommended rather than merely enjoying a bashing.
no avatar
User

David Clancy

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 12:09 pm

A couch in Andy's house.

by David Clancy » Sat Sep 22, 2007 7:16 pm

Robin Garr wrote:
Charles W. wrote:I assume you saw the pretty critical review of Rivue and the review of Bistro New Albany?

No, I didn't ... as I said, I rarely see the mag in print, and the Website - at lesat until recently - has been updated only sporadically, so I'm out of the habit of checking it. Tell me more! I hope they didn't bash BNA.
I didn't even hear about it.....did we get panned?? Damn I hope not!
David Clancy
Fabulous Old Louisville
(Is this your homework Larry?)
no avatar
User

Charles W.

{ RANK }

Foodie

Schnitzelburg

by Charles W. » Sat Sep 22, 2007 7:31 pm

A few quotations:

"Are restaurants entitled to an off-night? I wondered this recently as I drove across the river to dine at Bistro New Albany. It would be my second time dining at this Southern Indiana venue and I hoped it would redeem my first impression." (first sentence)

"During my first visit one recent Friday night the restaurant bustled due to a special event. While we were seated within minutes, it was clearly a chaotic atmosphere and things did not go well. A second visit thereagter was substantially more enjoyable. The dining room was far less crowded, service was prompt and the food was prepared with much more care and precision." (third paragraph)

"I commend Bistro New Albany for acknowledging and accepting responsibility for a disastrous night on our first visit. The restaurant showed on second inspection that it can fulfill much of its menu's promise."
(last sentence)
p. 86 September 2007