Welcome to the Louisville Restaurants Forum, a civil place for the intelligent discussion of the local restaurant scene and just about any other topic related to food and drink in and around Louisville.

Argentina/Kentucky pizza connection

no avatar
User

NicoleP

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 15, 2007 12:44 am

Argentina/Kentucky pizza connection

by NicoleP » Thu Mar 15, 2007 1:02 am

My husband and I love traveling and one of our favorite places in the world is Buenos Aries, Argentina. So much so, that we are looking into buying an apartment there in the future.

There are two pizza parlors in downtown Buenos Aires called "Kentucky Rural Style Pizza". They are both in somewhat close proximity to each other (both close to the magnificent Carlos Thays Botanical Gardens or "the cat gardens" as there are about 200 feral cats that roam the grounds) and are completely decked out in Louisville "kitsch". There are big posters of the Louisville skyline, tons of cheap Derby souvenirs etc. We are totally befuddled as to what "Kentucky Rural Pizza" is and why it is such a popular name for a pizza place in Argentina.

Any ideas from Argentines or well traveled people???

I have a great picture of the front of the place if I could figure out how to download it to the forum.
no avatar
User

Ron Johnson

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 11:48 am

by Ron Johnson » Thu Mar 15, 2007 9:30 am

Horse racing is wildly popular in Argentina. Lots of folks from that country come to Kentucky for racing at Churchill, TUrfway, Keeneland, and to buy and sell horses at the auctions. That's probably the connection. So, now Argentina knows about our casserole style pizza!
no avatar
User

NicoleP

{ RANK }

Foodie

by NicoleP » Thu Mar 15, 2007 10:27 am

That is the weird thing, The pizza served at these places is just like any other pizza in Argentina. It isn't casserole style pizza. It is a thinnish crust with sparse toppings, much like an Italian style. Pizza is VERY popular in Argentina and is served in almost every restaurant. It is also available for carryout at most empanada places.

But I bet you are right about the fact that someone came here for Derby, bought up some "Louisville decor" and went home to open up a pizza place!!
no avatar
User

robert szappanos

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Mar 02, 2007 4:17 pm

louisville, ky

by robert szappanos » Sat Mar 17, 2007 8:05 pm

Not only is horse racing popular...Eating horse is also....
no avatar
User

Francisco Elbl

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Mar 16, 2007 2:34 pm

Pizzeria Kentucky

by Francisco Elbl » Tue Mar 20, 2007 2:23 pm

This place is located on Av. Santa Fe and Juan B. Justo. Its on the other end of the block if you get off of the subway at the Palermo stop. This place has been around since 1978. The owner had horses that ran in the races that precede the Derby. His horses did well and the money he won he put into the pizzeria. He called it Kentucky because it was an original name (way before KFC made their way down) and where the money came from. We have an older picture of the restaurant in our restaurant (Palermo Viejo). This restaurant has become more and more famous and several years ago it had a major face lift. I believe the other pizzeria belongs to the same person. When I last visited B.A. in Feb I noticed a lot of the Derby and Jockey silks that used to be on the walls at the original location were replaced with futbol pictures. On my next trip I will have to stop by this other place and check it out. My father was raised in that neighborhood by the zoo and the botanical gardens. I am so glad to see that you love B.A. as much as I do. It is a great investment to buy an apartment down there. You should stop by the Palermo Viejo some time so we can talk about your experiences in Argentina. Sorrry about the length of this post.
no avatar
User

John R.

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Mar 05, 2007 11:29 am

Old Lousiville

by John R. » Tue Mar 20, 2007 4:14 pm

robert szappanos wrote:Not only is horse racing popular...Eating horse is also....

You say that like it is bad?
no avatar
User

Steve Shade

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Mar 02, 2007 10:53 am

Re: Pizzeria Kentucky

by Steve Shade » Tue Mar 20, 2007 6:12 pm

Francisco J. Elbl wrote:This place is located on Av. Santa Fe and Juan B. Justo. Its on the other end of the block if you get off of the subway at the Palermo stop. This place has been around since 1978. The owner had horses that ran in the races that precede the Derby. His horses did well and the money he won he put into the pizzeria. He called it Kentucky because it was an original name (way before KFC made their way down) and where the money came from. We have an older picture of the restaurant in our restaurant (Palermo Viejo). This restaurant has become more and more famous and several years ago it had a major face lift. I believe the other pizzeria belongs to the same person. When I last visited B.A. in Feb I noticed a lot of the Derby and Jockey silks that used to be on the walls at the original location were replaced with futbol pictures. On my next trip I will have to stop by this other place and check it out. My father was raised in that neighborhood by the zoo and the botanical gardens. I am so glad to see that you love B.A. as much as I do. It is a great investment to buy an apartment down there. You should stop by the Palermo Viejo some time so we can talk about your experiences in Argentina. Sorrry about the length of this post.

Good to see you finally joined up. Your restaurant is one of our favorites.
no avatar
User

robert szappanos

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Mar 02, 2007 4:17 pm

louisville, ky

by robert szappanos » Tue Mar 20, 2007 6:28 pm

Actually not. I had it once in Budapest and it was quite good. :lol:
no avatar
User

NicoleP

{ RANK }

Foodie

by NicoleP » Wed Mar 21, 2007 12:19 am

Palermo is one of the best restaurants in Louisville in my opinion, if only for the fries and the lomo w/ chimichurri!!!!!!

Seriously though, we are lucky to have it, it is like a little bit of Buenos Aries in our own backyard. :D