Welcome to the Louisville Restaurants Forum, a civil place for the intelligent discussion of the local restaurant scene and just about any other topic related to food and drink in and around Louisville.

Proper tip for carry-out

no avatar
User

Kim H

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 12:07 pm

Louisville

by Kim H » Wed Sep 26, 2007 9:16 pm

Amy Hoover wrote:
Heck, I should start another thread on the subject of "Servers vs. Chefs" and the constant battles between front and back of the house.

I've grown weary of this whole back of house versus front of house issue. If chefs/cooks/etc.. want to make tips, they should become servers or bartenders and take the chance of walking out being paid $2.13 an hour for their shift. If servers/bartenders want to tell the cooks how the menu should be or allow special orders without asking the kitchen, etc... they should get a job in the kitchen. It doesn't have to be a constant battle, and I absolutely detest when a FOH manager or a kitchen manager seem to be the ones advocating the tensions.

There are good and bad points to both sides of it. There certainly doesn't have to be an ongoing riff between the two if both are expected to act respectful of one another at all times. I know several servers that often tip the kitchen out after an evening of excellent food coming out of the kitchen consistently. I also know several chefs who go out of their way to teach servers about food and flavor pairing, etc...

A restaurant runs so much more smoothly and efficiently when the FOH and BOH can work together and appreciate and respect each other. I, for one, am tired of hearing complaining from both sides. This is the nature of the business. If you don't love food AND love ensuring your guests have the best possible experience, then you shouldn't be in this business period-in the FOH or BOH.

It's been a long time since I've waited tables, but all it really takes is common courtesy and mutual respect. The kitchen gets in the weeds as much as servers do, but, and please don't bash me, it has been my observation that the servers are the ones who don't see that as clearly. I understand why, to an extent - the servers are the ones with the paying (and tipping) customers in there face, but the kitchen staff are the people with the servers in their face. I learned early on to read what's up in the kitchen, and ask what I needed when it was a good time for someone behind the line to listen. Much more productive. I generally got 'great service' by respecting what the kitchen staff was up against, and not just the irate customer in my section with something that came out wrong, or, ok, sometimes something about an order that IIII forgot! If there is a consistent issue, talk to management. Just some thoughts...
no avatar
User

Amy Hoover

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 12:27 pm

Butchertown

by Amy Hoover » Wed Sep 26, 2007 10:26 pm

I understand what you're saying completely, Kim. As a person with experience in general management, I can and do totally see both sides of the issue. I just don't think an "us versus them" mentality should ever be tolerated, in any restaurant on any level.
“Fear less, hope more; Eat less, chew more; Whine less, breathe more; Talk less, say more; Love more, and all good things will be yours”

Swedish Proverb
no avatar
User

Kim H

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 12:07 pm

Louisville

by Kim H » Wed Sep 26, 2007 10:55 pm

Amy Hoover wrote:I understand what you're saying completely, Kim. As a person with experience in general management, I can and do totally see both sides of the issue. I just don't think an "us versus them" mentality should ever be tolerated, in any restaurant on any level.

Hi Amy! Maybe I didn't express it well, but that was basically my point - front and back need to understand each other, and be on the same team. But I was a server watching servers bashing the kitchen for mistakes, and wanting their immediate assistance regardless of whether it was the server's mistake or someone in the kitchen. I also heard lots of nasty talk about the servers from the kitchen staff. I always considered my positions in the restaurant as both customer service and agent. I was the agent between the customer and the kitchen, and looked at both the table and the kitchen as someone I needed to understand in order to make things flow. Not to say I didn't have my moments, but that's what I strived to do.

If you can build your teams that get past this 'us vs. them' mentality, then you have the right formula. Truth is, the 'us v. them' exists in a lot of places, not just in a restaurant. What I was trying to express was something that everyone in every job should understand - respect other people's situations, and understand that your crisis may not be the only crisis that is happening. That lesson is not limited to a restaurant or the kitchen.
Previous