Welcome to the Louisville Restaurants Forum, a civil place for the intelligent discussion of the local restaurant scene and just about any other topic related to food and drink in and around Louisville.

Bartending in Louisville

no avatar
User

Laura SS

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 12:26 pm

Highlands

Bartending in Louisville

by Laura SS » Fri Sep 21, 2007 8:11 pm

I've got a friend who's thinking about a career change to bartending, and I thought this forum would be a terrific resource.

What do you consider the best training for a bartender, especially one who doesn't have extensive alcohol knowledge? Is it better to go to school or try for on-the-job?

And for that matter, do you (or did you) like bartending?
no avatar
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Tue Feb 27, 2007 2:38 pm

Crescent Hill

Re: Bartending in Louisville

by Robin Garr » Fri Sep 21, 2007 10:19 pm

Laura SS wrote:And for that matter, do you (or did you) like bartending?

Not much personal advice here, but I can think of several very good servers who've consistently told me that they'd rather take a bartending shift than a service shift any time it's busy ... more fun, and better tips.

I'd say being sociable and gregarious is the primary key, provided you're quick enough to pick up the basics fast. Becoming a star mixologist with thousands of drink recipes in your head will take longer. ;)
no avatar
User

carla griffin

{ RANK }

Foodie

Wed Mar 07, 2007 8:32 pm

by carla griffin » Sat Sep 22, 2007 7:38 am

I was a bartender here in Lou for about 5 or 6 years but it's been years ago. So very long ago you could count the number of female bartenders in the city on one hand - at least the ones not working strip clubs .YIKES that's a long time ago!

Tips were great and I too liked it sooo much better than waiting tables. I would rec. getting a job as a bar back first to get your feet wet. I wouldn't bother with a school but I would familiarize myself with the state liq laws and make sure you understand that as a bartender you shoulder some big legal responsibilities in serving as well.

The only thing I didn't like about the job were the habitual drunks who were always either uber nasty or big babies. That was only a small percentage of the people I waited on. Otherwise it was a cool job that even now, I would return to doing. :D
Carla
There is one thing more exasperating than a wife who can cook and won't, and that's a wife who can't cook and will. ~Robert Frost
no avatar
User

carla griffin

{ RANK }

Foodie

Wed Mar 07, 2007 8:32 pm

by carla griffin » Sat Sep 22, 2007 7:43 am

Below is a site that might be helpful. The short clips use one of New Orleans BEST bartenders on how to mix some popular drinks.
The best bartenders not only knew their recipes but the smooze that went with them!

http://blog.nola.com/entertainment/2007 ... the_3.html
Carla
There is one thing more exasperating than a wife who can cook and won't, and that's a wife who can't cook and will. ~Robert Frost
no avatar
User

Scott_Shreffler

{ RANK }

Foodie

Tue Aug 21, 2007 7:05 pm

Bartending School

by Scott_Shreffler » Sat Sep 22, 2007 9:02 am

Just my two cents, but I went to bartending school and I found it to be a tremendously helpful decision. When you leave the school, which is two weeks long, you have 40 hours of bar experience, as most of the school is hands-on making drinks. There certainly is something to be said for bar-backing for a while and then trying to transition to being a bartender. However, going to the school help you skip that process (bar-backing)which could take many, many months. One last thing, the bartending school (yes, 1 (800) bar-tend) has lifetime job placement. Ten years from now, if, for some reason, I wanted to get back into bartending, I could go to the school and look through their book for job openings. And trust me. There are lots of bars in this town who look for people from that school first, because they know that they have been well trained. So, the long and short of it is that I can endorse the bartending school with no reservations. Oh, and one last thing, I LOVED bartending. It was one of the best jobs I have ever had.
Life is too short to drink cheap beer.
-Hunter S. Thompson
no avatar
User

Becca MacGilvray

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sun Mar 04, 2007 4:11 pm

St. Matthews

by Becca MacGilvray » Sat Sep 22, 2007 9:23 am

I've been a bartender at the same place for 12 years and I had not had any formative training--I kind of got tossed back behind the bar and I guess I did a good job because I've been doing it ever since. That being said, I was a server for a year before they asked me to bartend. I have found that a lot of places prefer that you work as a server first and kind of pay your dues before they will even consider you as a bartender. Where I work, you are moved from server to cocktailer to bar 2 (our slower bar) to the big bar. Along the way you are observed at how well you do at each point and if you do a good job, you are moved up to the next level.

I love bartending also! It has enabled me to be a (sort of) stay at home mom and to go to school while still having a real job! Good luck to your friend!

Cheers!
Becca
no avatar
User

Ron Johnson

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 11:48 am

by Ron Johnson » Sat Sep 22, 2007 9:51 am

I bartended at two restaurants here in Louisville. I think the way to the job is to work your way up. Show an interest in the bar, learn all the cocktails, the liquors and what they are made from. Learn about wine. Show that you have the knowledge and the desire to stay on top of it. Bartending in most places is about a lot more than slinging drinks. You can do just that at Have a Nice Day Cafe, but in most places you need to be able to deal with liquor reps, do the ordering, manage inventory, etc.

I think the Bristol has a great training program. Scott Harper gives an excellent course in liquors, wines and beers with a test at the end.
no avatar
User

Laura SS

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 12:26 pm

Highlands

by Laura SS » Sat Sep 22, 2007 4:15 pm

This is great feedback, everybody -- thanks so much!

My friend was leaning toward school to give himself a solid foundation to build on with experience. Other than Scott's suggestion of 1 (800) bar-tend, are there any other schools anyone's had a good experience with, or that the professionals here like to look for?