Welcome to the Louisville Restaurants Forum, a civil place for the intelligent discussion of the local restaurant scene and just about any other topic related to food and drink in and around Louisville.

Good country brunch????

no avatar
User

ShaneMcD

{ RANK }

Just got here

Thu Sep 13, 2007 7:59 pm

Good country brunch????

by ShaneMcD » Thu Sep 20, 2007 9:26 pm

I have only lived here in Louisville for a few weeks and my family is coming in this weekend and I am looking for a great traditional country breakfast. I lived in Memphis for 8 years when I was young, so I know what good breakfast is, I'm just wondering where in the ville to find it? I have been to Lynn's Cafe and it was great except for the wait time, does anyone have a good suggestion for the weekend, I live near Anchorage, so I know I will probably have to drive a bit!

Thanks Louisville!
no avatar
User

Ed Vermillion

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Mar 02, 2007 1:32 pm

38 degrees 25' 25' N 85 degrees 36' 2' W

by Ed Vermillion » Thu Sep 20, 2007 10:12 pm

The sad truth is very few places have the kind of breakfast you are looking for. When the venerable Melrose Inn closed its doors the "classic" country breakfast went with it. Have never been moved by Lynn's or Toast, though others have enjoyed those venues.

The Irish Rover, Too in LaGrange sometimes has a traditional Irish breakfast as a special. Last weekend they did and it was very good.

Probably the best "classic" breakfast around nowdays is Cracker Barrel. Sad, but it is a good breakfast.

You could combine a scenic drive out
U.S. 42 through some fine horse farms. Take the Gene Snyder Northbound over to U.S. 42. Take a right and head east into Oldham County. Stay on 42 until you get to State Highway 53.

Take a right onto 53 and follow it into LaGrange The second stop sign in LaGrange, hang a left for the Rover (which is on the right halfway down the block) or go straight another 4 blocks or so to Cracker Barrel which will be on your left hand side.

Either way, welcome to the forum and Kentucky!
no avatar
User

Mark R.

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Apr 09, 2007 12:02 pm

Anchorage, KY

by Mark R. » Thu Sep 20, 2007 11:24 pm

While not Classic in any sense the brunch at Lynn's is very good and certainly worth experiencing and they do have great Biscuits and Gravy! IMHO it's certainly better than Cracker Barrel! 8)
Written using Dragon NaturallySpeaking

"Life is short. Drink the good wine first"
no avatar
User

Ed Vermillion

{ RANK }

Foodie

Re: Good country brunch????

by Ed Vermillion » Fri Sep 21, 2007 6:49 am

ShaneMcD wrote:I have only lived here in Louisville for a few weeks and my family is coming in this weekend and I am looking for a great traditional country breakfast.

Tons of great brunch places, Shane but I am going by your traditional country breakfast criteria. Eggs and all the fixins cooked to order and not sitting in a heating pan.
no avatar
User

Deb Hall

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sun Mar 04, 2007 4:46 pm

Highlands , Louisville

by Deb Hall » Fri Sep 21, 2007 9:22 am

sHANE,

Regarding the wait at Lynn's: at one point they added the ability to make advanced reservations for Breakfast. Haven't been for years (we are not breakfast "people") but you might want to check to see if they still accept reservations for Brunch.

Deb
no avatar
User

Beth K.

{ RANK }

Foodie

Wed May 23, 2007 2:18 pm

by Beth K. » Fri Sep 21, 2007 9:23 am

Toast is delicious and they have a big breakfast menu item with everything you want. They have the traditional stuff and then some nice varaitions on frenchtoast and pancakes. I'll warn you though that everytime I've been there has been a wait, so you may want to try and get there earlier than later.
no avatar
User

Kurt R.

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Aug 23, 2007 9:08 am

Louisville, KY

by Kurt R. » Fri Sep 21, 2007 10:45 am

Wild eggz will be open in a couple of weeks on Dupont Circle, but don't know what their menu will be like yet. You could probably call Napa River for information.
Kurt

Character is measured by a series of split second decisions.
no avatar
User

Charles W.

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 12:53 pm

Schnitzelburg

by Charles W. » Fri Sep 21, 2007 10:50 am

We now have a few good breakfast options (Toast, Lynn's, Northend, Wild Eggz soon), but as noted, none of them serve a good, country breakfast. Toast, which I love, is more of an urban breakfast, isn't it?

Now if Joe Huber's served breakfast . . .
no avatar
User

Kurt R.

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Aug 23, 2007 9:08 am

Louisville, KY

by Kurt R. » Fri Sep 21, 2007 10:58 am

Norma Jeans Trackside in LaGrange has great breakfast, I will try to attach the link to their website
http://www.normajeanstrackside.com
Kurt

Character is measured by a series of split second decisions.
no avatar
User

Ed Vermillion

{ RANK }

Foodie

by Ed Vermillion » Fri Sep 21, 2007 11:11 am

Thanks, Kurt! That looks like a great breakfast spot. If they can't fix good biscuits in little La then we are doomed. :D
no avatar
User

Beth K.

{ RANK }

Foodie

Wed May 23, 2007 2:18 pm

by Beth K. » Fri Sep 21, 2007 11:31 am

What about Goose Creek Diner?

Or, I've never been, but I've heard Jessie's out on Dixie Hwy has a good breakfast. I can't personally attest to that though. Anyone been?
no avatar
User

Andrew Mellman

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Mar 02, 2007 10:33 am

Louisville

by Andrew Mellman » Fri Sep 21, 2007 12:30 pm

1. North End Cafe did a great made-to-order breakfast. Haven't been in a while, but they are still there!

2. Old Stone Inn in Shelbyville (really I think in Simpsonville) has a buffet of country favorites for breakfast. It tends too starchy for me, but it is very traditional, and they take reservations.

3. Lynn's does take reservations.
Andrew Mellman
no avatar
User

Bryan Shepherd

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Mar 30, 2007 6:58 pm

Between Here and There

by Bryan Shepherd » Fri Sep 21, 2007 4:56 pm

I will throw Doe Run Inn out there as well as The Whistle Stop, although these places are outside of Louisville. They would make for a nice drive on a Sunday morning.............
BShep
no avatar
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Tue Feb 27, 2007 2:38 pm

Crescent Hill

Re: Good country brunch????

by Robin Garr » Fri Sep 21, 2007 5:26 pm

ShaneMcD wrote:I have only lived here in Louisville for a few weeks and my family is coming in this weekend and I am looking for a great traditional country breakfast. I lived in Memphis for 8 years when I was young, so I know what good breakfast is, I'm just wondering where in the ville to find it? I have been to Lynn's Cafe and it was great except for the wait time, does anyone have a good suggestion for the weekend, I live near Anchorage, so I know I will probably have to drive a bit!

Thanks Louisville!

I think part of the problem here is that Louisville is a middle-size city, so for a country breakfast you kind of have to head out into the country.

How about a good diner breakfast, though? Mr. Z's at Third and Breckinridge is short on atmosphere but long on excellent quality in a very traditional diner-style breakfast. Wagner's Pharmacy near Churchill Downs is another. And even the old Twig and Leaf at Bardstown and Douglass, if not what it used to be, will still make you two over easy with grits or hash browns and toast.
no avatar
User

Marsha L.

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 2:56 pm

Louisville, KY

by Marsha L. » Fri Sep 21, 2007 5:29 pm

I have to say: If the country is Italy, please run - don't walk - to Melillo's for Saturday Brunch. Have Nonna's Eggs Benedict.
Next