Welcome to the Louisville Restaurants Forum, a civil place for the intelligent discussion of the local restaurant scene and just about any other topic related to food and drink in and around Louisville.

Shalimar keeping tips?

no avatar
User

HarryKron

{ RANK }

Just got here

Thu Sep 20, 2007 7:55 am

Shalimar keeping tips?

by HarryKron » Thu Sep 20, 2007 9:39 am

Friends, I heard an ugly rumor and I would like some clarification. I was having lunch with an Indian friend about 3 months ago. He offered to pick up the tab, and when he saw my expression when he didn't leave a tip, he told me that he had friends who worked at Shalimar and stated the owner(s) keep all the tips.

My main question: has anyone heard about this, and is this true? I would like to hear from either current or former employees of Shalimar, or the owner - let's say "he" for simplicity's sake. My first concerns is whether or not he is breaking the law. If he only pays the staff the tip wage, then I would suggest he is definitely breaking the law. If he isn't, then at least he should let the patrons know this is happening. I leave tips with the expectation that the server will receive it, or at least the server pool is getting it, and I am sure others do as well.

At the least, I want to know to know that my tip money is going to the person who serves me.
no avatar
User

Ron Johnson

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 11:48 am

by Ron Johnson » Thu Sep 20, 2007 10:00 am

Rather than starting a rumor mill on this site, a better approach would be to file a complaint with Wage & Hour and let them investigate.
no avatar
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Tue Feb 27, 2007 2:38 pm

Crescent Hill

Re: Shalimar keeping tips?

by Robin Garr » Thu Sep 20, 2007 10:01 am

HarryKron wrote:At the least, I want to know to know that my tip money is going to the person who serves me.

Harry, welcome to the forum! I don't know if we'll be able to track this story to its lair, but I would agree with you 100 percent on this principle as stated.

Curiously, in a recent discussion of the quality of the midday buffets at the city's three Indian restaurants, several of us have commented that the staff at Shalimar has seemed unusually sullen and unsmiling lately. If I were being ripped off, I think I'd be sullen, too.
no avatar
User

Chris M

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Mar 02, 2007 6:10 pm

The Ville

by Chris M » Thu Sep 20, 2007 12:51 pm

Considering that most of the people who work there are relatives of the owners.... I doubt there is an issue.

90% of the employees of Shalimar live within a block of each other. They also have very little turn over.

Neither of those are signs of a problem.
no avatar
User

Ron Johnson

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 11:48 am

by Ron Johnson » Thu Sep 20, 2007 1:15 pm

No matter how close together they live, it is a violation of the law for a restaurant owner to keep the server's tips.