Welcome to the Louisville Restaurants Forum, a civil place for the intelligent discussion of the local restaurant scene and just about any other topic related to food and drink in and around Louisville.
User

Casey J.

{ RANK }

Foodie

Tue Mar 13, 2007 4:39 pm

Elizabethtown + Prospect

El Mundo nightmare

by Casey J. » Wed Mar 14, 2007 10:23 pm

We dined at El Mundo this evening. The place was an inferno. They finally opened a door, but that helped very little. The staff seemed cranky and was seldom seen at the table. None of us enjoyed our food. It was my second visit to El Mundo and will be my last. The table next to us left without ever getting their food. They waited 45 minutes for a meal that finally showed up in a to go bag when they asked for their check so they could leave. The waiters and waitresses brought other people's drinks to our table on more than one occasion. There is no way it could be like that every night, or they would be closed!!!
User

Amy A

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 1:34 pm

Jeffersonville

by Amy A » Wed Mar 14, 2007 11:01 pm

I have NEVER had a good experience there. Bad service always. On top of that it always looked filthy in there. :oops:
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Tue Feb 27, 2007 2:38 pm

Crescent Hill

Re: El Mundo nightmare

by Robin Garr » Wed Mar 14, 2007 11:10 pm

Casey J. wrote:There is no way it could be like that every night, or they would be closed!!!

We ate in there (upstairs) within the last couple of months, and it was jammed, but everyone seemed to be having a blast, the food was excellent, and the service was cordial and about as good as you could expect when a little place like that is slammed.
User

Leah S

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 12:31 pm

Old Louisville

by Leah S » Wed Mar 14, 2007 11:16 pm

I've honestly never been there when there wasn't a pile of dirty dishes on a table that just never gets bussed.
User

Joe C

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sun Mar 04, 2007 12:50 pm

Louisville, KY

by Joe C » Thu Mar 15, 2007 12:07 am

For me, it is always a Spring/Summer place to sit and eat watching the world go by. I have been there about a half dozen times and have not had any problems with the food or the service, but I haven't been there since late last year.
Live to Ride, Ride to Eat!
User

Doogy R

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 12:15 pm

The purlieus of Louisville, KY

El Mundo.

by Doogy R » Thu Mar 15, 2007 12:19 am

3/2 against. Damn, I think it's March Madness.
Great food along with great company is truly one of lifes best treasures.
User

Ron Johnson

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 11:48 am

by Ron Johnson » Thu Mar 15, 2007 9:27 am

I've had perfectly fine meals there with above average food and friendly service, and I've had less than stellar meals there with the kitchen being out of several menu items and surly, inattentive service.

Consistency is an issue with El Mundo, but I still enjoy it enough to roll the dice.
User

Megan Johnson

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 12:12 pm

scenic Germantown

by Megan Johnson » Thu Mar 15, 2007 12:27 pm

do they still have the garden growing in the bathtub in the upstairs bathroom?

I've never actually eaten there (so essentially, this is completely off-topic), but I had a nice time once a few years ago when they still did the late-night-bring-yer-own-records-and-be-your-own-DJ-Fridays in that teeny little upstairs nook.
no avatar
User

John R.

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Mar 05, 2007 11:29 am

Old Lousiville

by John R. » Thu Mar 15, 2007 12:37 pm

El Mundo is a bit more rustic. I find the heat to give me a feel of Mexico. :wink: . A feel of home. Seriously though, I agree with Mr. Ron Johnson's take. What brings me back is the 3 dollar Margarita's. They don't use nasty mixtos and for 3 bucks. That is great. You have to get a little peppered first to tolerate the place. :lol:
User

Colin M

{ RANK }

Just got here

Sun Mar 04, 2007 8:39 pm

crescent hillbilly

by Colin M » Thu Mar 15, 2007 1:12 pm

Leah s wrote:I've honestly never been there when there wasn't a pile of dirty dishes on a table that just never gets bussed.

Leah, just curious...do you ever have anything nice to say about other establishments? A little bit of balance..good for the foodie soul.
User

Ed Vermillion

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Mar 02, 2007 1:32 pm

38 degrees 25' 25' N 85 degrees 36' 2' W

by Ed Vermillion » Thu Mar 15, 2007 1:49 pm

Like the pile of dirty dishes was an abstract sculpture that just gets moved every night :?:
User

Leah S

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 12:31 pm

Old Louisville

by Leah S » Thu Mar 15, 2007 3:09 pm

Well, Colin,
Between this board and the old one, I've raved about Bistro New Albany, Bonefish, the old Mayan Gypsy, Blue Mountain Coffee House, Shiraz, Third Ave Cafe, Diamante, Toast, and Sari Sari, also had nice things to say about Olive's, Safier's, Jerusalem Cafe, just off the top of my head, so yes, I think my list is mostly on the positive side.
User

Bill R

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sun Mar 04, 2007 10:02 am

Middletown

El Mundo

by Bill R » Thu Mar 15, 2007 6:28 pm

Had I bad experience long ago, and it was upstairs. Had a hard time lodging a complaint, but things got worked out in the old forum. The staff downsrairs are always very freindly. The upstairs is always crowded, loud & hot. The upstairs also attract people who think they should get four star service everywhere. The Moral of the story is this: For a friendly time & good food eat downstairs
User

Ron Johnson

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 11:48 am

by Ron Johnson » Thu Mar 15, 2007 6:36 pm

John R. wrote:What brings me back is the 3 dollar Margarita's. They don't use nasty mixtos and for 3 bucks.

ditto that. I dig the real margaritas. None of the neon chemical mix for me.
no avatar
User

Nora Boyle

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sat Mar 03, 2007 2:24 pm

Clifton

by Nora Boyle » Thu Mar 15, 2007 7:30 pm

Bea and Joe are beyond skilled cooks. Also, you never have to worry about the quality of anything from these folks. They're always busy so why is it strange that a table would have dishes on it? Given the wait it's impossible to leave a table unclean. Sometimes it's hard to get people to wait for you to clear them! (that's thanks to the $3 margs)
If you aren't into these folks then you don't get it, which is okay, because they are one of many different restaurants. There is room for all. Personally I can't wait to get back to town and have some Carnitas!

[/quote]
Next