Welcome to the Louisville Restaurants Forum, a civil place for the intelligent discussion of the local restaurant scene and just about any other topic related to food and drink in and around Louisville.

dinner to forget at the Pink Door

no avatar
User

Leah S

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 12:31 pm

Old Louisville

dinner to forget at the Pink Door

by Leah S » Wed Sep 19, 2007 12:32 am

Well, it was a strange evening. DH got a curry chicken rice dish that was too sweet for his tastes, I got the spicy ramen noodles which had no cilantro and no sprouts, but shredded carrot instead. It was OK, but different than the last couple of times I've had it there. SIL had a rice and beef dish and DD had Pad Tai. Their's were fine.

It took for-ev-er to get served. It looked like only one server was working the restaurant part (as opposed to the bar). We waited for drinks, finally placed our order. The tea pot took a long time to arrive and then as we were about to slump over in our chairs from hunger the food finally arrived. I do wish I'm noticed the time better, but there were significant delays.

OK, here's the strange/rude/annoying part. At 9:00 p.m. we're half to 2/3 of the way thru our meal. The server starts picking up the chairs from the dining room and taking them to the back room. Then the tables start disappearing. We look around and we're sitting at the only table left in the dining room. I'm still eating. People start arriving and we overhear that there is a swing dancing class scheduled to start at 10:00 p.m. The swing dance music is indeed playing and it seems to get louder and louder, so much so that we're shouting at each other across our lone table to be heard. The dance class is staring us down with the obvious but silent command to get out. Well, I'm hungry, so I keep eating, but chew fast.

We (I) finish eating, thinking that our server will rapidly bring the check since we're an obstruction to the class that isn't starting for 45 minutes. No, we sit and wait. Finally we plop a credit card on the table and I hold cash in my hand and voila the server appears to ask if we're ready for our checks. Uh yeah, since we'd like to escape the stares and loud music.

Sooo, now honestly if a restaurant wants to hold dance lessons in their dining room, that's fine. Just put a notice on the front door that the dining room needs to be cleared out by 9:00 p.m. so that the staff has enough time to move out all the tables and chairs and sweep the floor. It's not really that much different thatn saying "Kitchen Closes at x time."

The way this was handled was absurd. A good host does not make paying customers feel unwelcome and unwanted. We won't be back.
no avatar
User

Ron Johnson

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 11:48 am

by Ron Johnson » Wed Sep 19, 2007 8:38 am

sounds like that place needs to decide if it wants to be a restaurant or a dance hall. That was unbelievable.
no avatar
User

Chris Dunn

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 12:34 pm

Shepherdsville

by Chris Dunn » Wed Sep 19, 2007 8:45 am

I really want to like this place, both because the food is good and the atmosphere is unlike anything else in town, but they are always painfully slow. I've cooked noodles at home...it doesn't take that long.
no avatar
User

James Natsis

{ RANK }

Foodie

Tue Jun 05, 2007 2:34 pm

Pink Noodle

by James Natsis » Wed Sep 19, 2007 11:49 am

My wife and I went to the Pink Noodle a little more than a month ago. It is really a cool place and I was excited about the possiblity of adding this place to my list of usual haunts. Well, I am sad to report that we found the food to be mediocre at best, and the service was aweful. I think that the place would be good for a few drinks and socializing within the warm ambience. But dinner wise, they need to bring on a chef who knows how prepare better broths and other fundatmentals.
James J. Natsis
no avatar
User

John R.

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Mar 05, 2007 11:29 am

Old Lousiville

by John R. » Wed Sep 19, 2007 12:06 pm

The first and only time I went there was boring. They seemed like they wanted to be something good but the food was not much better than microwavable asian cuisine.
Im not a food"ie", I am a food"er".
no avatar
User

Beth K.

{ RANK }

Foodie

Wed May 23, 2007 2:18 pm

by Beth K. » Wed Sep 19, 2007 1:27 pm

Wow! That is truely unbelievable - I think my jaw actually fell open while I was reading that. It seems inexscusable to me. If they could clear it all away so quickly, why did they need to do it an hour before the class began? Especially if you were still dining. I agree they should have provided notice. It's almost as if the server or the other employees wanted you gone. Strange. And a sure-fire eay to lose future business, which makes it even stranger.
no avatar
User

Tina M

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sat Mar 03, 2007 3:21 pm

Highlands

by Tina M » Wed Sep 19, 2007 1:49 pm

I had such high hopes for this place, but it seems like they decided they want to be a bar instead of a restaurant.

Very disappointing.
no avatar
User

Aaron Newton

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 15, 2007 3:34 pm

by Aaron Newton » Wed Sep 19, 2007 1:53 pm

I'd heard stories about the "dance club" conversion after hours before. Never imagined it would go down like that....
no avatar
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Tue Feb 27, 2007 2:38 pm

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Wed Sep 19, 2007 1:54 pm

Tina M wrote:I had such high hopes for this place, but it seems like they decided they want to be a bar instead of a restaurant.

Very disappointing.

It sounds like it's really gone down hill. We went a couple of times when it was new and Liked It A Lot. But there were never any issues like those raised in this thread, not with food or service. :shock:
no avatar
User

Tina M

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sat Mar 03, 2007 3:21 pm

Highlands

by Tina M » Wed Sep 19, 2007 2:11 pm

Robin Garr wrote:
Tina M wrote:I had such high hopes for this place, but it seems like they decided they want to be a bar instead of a restaurant.

Very disappointing.

It sounds like it's really gone down hill. We went a couple of times when it was new and Liked It A Lot. But there were never any issues like those raised in this thread, not with food or service. :shock:

I haven't been in a while for food. I had one of those completely coincidental experiences where I ate there and then got a nasty stomach virus immediately thereafter. (Everyone in the house had it.)

But we did go a few weeks ago just to have a drink early in the evening - maybe 6:30 or 7ish. Completely different vibe. I think there was one table ordering food.

It seems like a nice bar, but still a bar. We will have to go back in the next few weeks. I do remember they had a few new things on the menu we wanted to try. I'll let you know how it goes.