Welcome to the Louisville Restaurants Forum, a civil place for the intelligent discussion of the local restaurant scene and just about any other topic related to food and drink in and around Louisville.

Two Nights???

no avatar
User

Steve Kluesner

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sat Jul 28, 2007 2:37 pm

So. Indiana

Two Nights???

by Steve Kluesner » Tue Sep 18, 2007 6:41 pm

We live about an hour and half from Louisville and come to the city about twice a month. However, we do not have all the inside information and would like your help in finding some great dining experiences.

We are going to be in Louisville for two nights next month and would like some help on finding two great restaurants.

We love Italian and we would really like to find a place that is interesting with great food for the first night.

We are thinking seafood for the second night but we would like to have an original experience more so than anything else.

Any suggestions????
no avatar
User

Ron Johnson

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 11:48 am

by Ron Johnson » Tue Sep 18, 2007 6:47 pm

First Night: Volare or Primo

Second Night: Seviche
no avatar
User

Steve Kluesner

{ RANK }

Foodie

So. Indiana

by Steve Kluesner » Tue Sep 18, 2007 6:50 pm

wow...what a quick response

any recommendations from the menus?
no avatar
User

Ed Vermillion

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Mar 02, 2007 1:32 pm

38 degrees 25' 25' N 85 degrees 36' 2' W

by Ed Vermillion » Tue Sep 18, 2007 7:41 pm

Hey Steve, Don't know what Ron's favorites are but at Volare here are two favorites of my bride and I:

Gnocchi Alla Tartufo: Gnocchi tossed with a black truffle cream sauce, prosciutto di parma and peas

Risotto Fattoria: Creamy arborio rice with gorgonzola, peas and chicken.

Enjoy your visit!
no avatar
User

Amy Hoover

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 12:27 pm

Butchertown

by Amy Hoover » Tue Sep 18, 2007 9:12 pm

Welcome, Steve! I would have to second Ron's suggestions...

The chef at Primo does a weekly menu, so all the ingredients are seasonal and fresh. He has been featured on Secrets of Louisville Chef's recently and just received a four star review.

For your second night, I would try either Seviche for seafood or Palermo Viejo for Argentinian food (delicious grilled meats!!). I know delicious grilled meats weren't listed as a preference, but I think Palermo is one of Louisville's best and most uniquerestaurants, with flavorful selections and a comfortable atmosphere.

Palermo Viejo and Primo both accept reservations for any size party on opentable.com.
“Fear less, hope more; Eat less, chew more; Whine less, breathe more; Talk less, say more; Love more, and all good things will be yours”

Swedish Proverb
no avatar
User

Steve Kluesner

{ RANK }

Foodie

So. Indiana

by Steve Kluesner » Wed Sep 19, 2007 4:26 pm

ok...i think i am definite on volare (did some online research and the place looks cool)

what about lunch spots?
no avatar
User

Ron Johnson

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 11:48 am

by Ron Johnson » Wed Sep 19, 2007 4:54 pm

lunch spots:

Granville Inn (college bar with great burgers)
Brownings (brew pub at Slugger Field)
Vietnam Kitchen (the best vietnamese food ever)
Santa Fe Grill (authentic mexican food)
Bristol Bar & Grille (green chile wontons)
Blue Dog Bakery (gourmet sandwiches)
no avatar
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Tue Feb 27, 2007 2:38 pm

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Wed Sep 19, 2007 5:08 pm

Ron Johnson wrote:lunch spots:

Granville Inn (college bar with great burgers)
Brownings (brew pub at Slugger Field)
Vietnam Kitchen (the best vietnamese food ever)
Santa Fe Grill (authentic mexican food)
Bristol Bar & Grille (green chile wontons)
Blue Dog Bakery (gourmet sandwiches)

Or take it the other direction and enjoy lunch at some places where you wouldn't mind having dinner: Jack Fry's, Proof on Main, Primo ...
no avatar
User

Steve Kluesner

{ RANK }

Foodie

So. Indiana

by Steve Kluesner » Wed Sep 19, 2007 5:24 pm

thanks for the great info....

I am looking forward to coming down...may have to come down Saturday night to start enjoying your recommendations.

Thanks!
no avatar
User

Ed Vermillion

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Mar 02, 2007 1:32 pm

38 degrees 25' 25' N 85 degrees 36' 2' W

by Ed Vermillion » Wed Sep 19, 2007 5:43 pm

Forgot to mention Mojitos for FANTASTIC paella which is worth a special trip.
no avatar
User

Steve Kluesner

{ RANK }

Foodie

So. Indiana

by Steve Kluesner » Wed Sep 19, 2007 9:47 pm

tell me more about Mojitos and the paella
no avatar
User

carla griffin

{ RANK }

Foodie

Wed Mar 07, 2007 8:32 pm

by carla griffin » Thu Sep 20, 2007 6:53 am

Ohh I second Mohitos or Havana Rumba it's sister restaurant! Wonerful wonderful.
Carla
There is one thing more exasperating than a wife who can cook and won't, and that's a wife who can't cook and will. ~Robert Frost
no avatar
User

Kurt R.

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Aug 23, 2007 9:08 am

Louisville, KY

by Kurt R. » Thu Sep 20, 2007 7:21 pm

Porcini is another possibilty for the first night. Favorite among some locals and Rick Pitino. Volare is always an excellent choice.

If you are thinking talian for lunch Mellilo's is a nice choice, Artemesia sometimes is over looked and Cafe Lou Lou is a fun spot.

For breakfast - Lynn's Paradise Cafe

For night number two, you need to consider Equus
Other great choices Jack Fry's, Limestone Grill, Z's Oyster Bar, asiatique

I have to echo the sentiments of the other posters, you won't go wrong with the choices in the stream. We are blessed with some great restaurants.
Kurt

Character is measured by a series of split second decisions.
no avatar
User

Steve Kluesner

{ RANK }

Foodie

So. Indiana

Thanks for an excellent dining recommendation...

by Steve Kluesner » Sun Sep 30, 2007 5:32 pm

Last night, my wife and I drove into Louisville for a new dining experience and we were quite pleased with the experience we had a Volare.

We had reservations at 8:30. We showed up at 8:10 and were promptly sseated. The service was excellent and the food was a big hit. My wife had entree envy but one of usually gets it when we try a new restaurant. She had a penne special with sausage, peppers and onions and the shrimp cocktail for an appetizer. She was happy with the meal but it was not what she had pictured in her mind when she ordered. I sampled the dish and thought it was very good. I prefer a little heat in my dishes so it would have not been a good dish to order for me. I had the "fruit of the sea" dish and I would have to say it is one of the best dishes I have had in a restaurant.

We really liked the atmosphere at Volare.

We will be back in two weeks to try another restaurant.
no avatar
User

Scott_Shreffler

{ RANK }

Foodie

Tue Aug 21, 2007 7:05 pm

Two nights, three options

by Scott_Shreffler » Sun Sep 30, 2007 7:08 pm

There are three restaurants that I can recommend that I don't think anyone has mentioned. First, is Palermo Viejo. Hands down my favorite place in town. Although it is an Argentine restaurant, there are definitely Italian influences in the menu. I really only go there to order things that I can dip in their chimichurri, anyway.
Next, for seafood, I suggest Maido. I know that sushi is probably not what you had in mind when you said seafood, but the fact of the matter is that you won't find any better or fresher seafood in town.
The last place I would suggest, for more traditional seafood fare, is L&N Wine Bar and Bistro. If you go, order the L&N Fish and Chips. It's a twist on the classic with pan seared snapper, fingerling potatoes, etc. It is to die for, seriously. I had my rehearsal dinner there and that was my only request for the menu. So, there you go. Three different restaurants, but honestly three of the best tables in town.
Life is too short to drink cheap beer.
-Hunter S. Thompson
Next