Welcome to the Louisville Restaurants Forum, a civil place for the intelligent discussion of the local restaurant scene and just about any other topic related to food and drink in and around Louisville.

Thai Smile 5

User

Heather Y

{ RANK }

In Time Out Room

Thu Mar 01, 2007 12:07 pm

Prospect

Thai Smile 5

by Heather Y » Wed Mar 14, 2007 5:47 pm

John R. I hate to burst your bubble.... but Thai smile's red curry was not for me! I can tell you that there was a little heat ( made my nose run, but so does vinegar), and I have never see Thai people put frozen peas and carrots in red curry before, and I hope to never see it again. The rice was a grayish
color long grain, and not appealing. I had to ask for a clean soup spoon , and the plates could have been cleaner.
I can tell you that it was not worth the trip out there for us.

It seems that the restaurant gets a lot of the nearby hospital crowd for lunch,
I heard one gentlemen say that he has not tried anything yet, but he will be coming back again. I am still trying to figure out what was compelling him to make such a statement. The owner has good PR skills, but I think that the food needs work.
What I did find refreshing was the Thai iced tea, which I have not ordered in a while, and thought would be a nice change. I was right. That was about it.

Simpy thai costs more, but it is well worth it. It is not perfect (the search for perfection..is perfection itself) but I like it.

As for Nirvana, that is an ongoing process that I look forward to everyday!
:(
User

Ed Vermillion

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Mar 02, 2007 1:32 pm

38 degrees 25' 25' N 85 degrees 36' 2' W

by Ed Vermillion » Wed Mar 14, 2007 6:53 pm

Good brewed iced tea is another path to nirvana. Mai's Thai does a fine glass to go along with her very good food.

There are still several places that serve CANNED ice tea. :shock:
Brake fluid tastes better.
no avatar
User

John R.

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Mar 05, 2007 11:29 am

Old Lousiville

by John R. » Thu Mar 15, 2007 11:56 am

Heather,

Ha! My first thought reading that was "Did you go to the right place? You must have gotten lost. Perhaps there is a new place called Thai grin or maybe the number was wrong". haha! No bubbles bursted here. You like what you like. I'm glad you tried it. I am very much a "don't take mine or anyone elses word for it, GO!" This whole subjectivity thing is bizarre. I find myself in the minority, a lot. I wanna get inside peoples head so that I understand where they are coming from. On a lot of occasion I find out where things are coming from and it typically has nothing to do with an actual opinion more than it has to do with acceptance. That's whole other set of stories I entitle "Immaculate Perception". That isn't limited to food either. Anyway, since I can't get in heads, I tend to think that people are truly nuts! ha! I'm sure that goes both ways.

They put a little bit of anything in their curry's. But as you will find, so do some others. Sala thai and Mai's thai which are rather good thai restaurants will both throw just about anything in their curry's. If you have not been to those two, I also recommend that you go. For red curry, I don't like big bowls of bamboo shoots, and if they are big bowls of one or two items, the curry best be good. I just prefer the taste of Thai Smiles balance of sweet and spicy that is in their curry base. Never had grey rice either. Weird. I guess I am going to have to take their little thai cooking class so that it doesn't hurt my feelings when they go.

I haven't had dirty dishes yet. Spotty glasses and spoons on occasion.

The best thai iced tea I have had thus far, for my tastes, is Sala. Mai's tends to be so sweet that I have to carry insulin with me. Thai Smile's is just ok and a little weird for my tastes.

PR skills haha! He is a handful.

Did you go for lunch? Robin went for lunch and wasn't impressed. Must be something about their lunch. Lunch is dangerous. I tend to get substandard food everywhere for lunch. I can safely say that about the thai restaurants, sans Thai Smile. They have all let me down for lunch. Thai taste seems to have the lunch thing down a bit better than most. I will have to go for lunch.
User

Heather Y

{ RANK }

In Time Out Room

Thu Mar 01, 2007 12:07 pm

Prospect

Yea yea

by Heather Y » Thu Mar 15, 2007 12:32 pm

wow.... anyway, If you like vegetarian/vegan, friendly(there is also meat available) lunch spots then try Meridian Cafe, I can assure you that you will not get a substandard lunch there. I did go to Thai smile, grin, smirk, frown, whatever it is called ... for lunch, and that is my story and I'm stickin' too it.

Bon Appetit!
no avatar
User

John R.

{ RANK }

Foodie

Old Lousiville

by John R. » Thu Mar 15, 2007 12:52 pm

Their lunch must suck. :lol: Sorry about the rant. It happened again to me recently. Still in my head about the sudden change in opinion and then wanted to argue with me that it was good when just days before he disliked it. Psycho's that make me the psycho for getting heated about the insecure vascillating. I did it again with the ranting digression......Anywho.... :oops: :shock:

I have been to Meridian, I liked it, kinda was a different take on Butterfly tea garden, wish it was closer to me. It's just way over there in St. Matthews.
no avatar
User

Aaron Newton

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 15, 2007 3:34 pm

by Aaron Newton » Thu Mar 15, 2007 5:03 pm

I rather wish they would simply change the name of the place. Since the family sold the Louisville location, it hasn't been anywhere near the quality of the original. The (original) location at Frankfort and the one in Richmond, both still owned by the family, remain tops for me in Thai food.

Just change the name... it isn't Thai Smile anymore.
no avatar
User

John R.

{ RANK }

Foodie

Old Lousiville

by John R. » Fri Mar 16, 2007 11:44 am

Aaron Newton wrote:I rather wish they would simply change the name of the place. Since the family sold the Louisville location, it hasn't been anywhere near the quality of the original. The (original) location at Frankfort and the one in Richmond, both still owned by the family, remain tops for me in Thai food.

Just change the name... it isn't Thai Smile anymore.

I never had the original :cry:

I think they should change their name and move. They need to disassociate themselves with that area and the name.
User

Christopher Rieger

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sat Mar 03, 2007 10:03 pm

Louisville, KY

Thai Smile Chattanooga location

by Christopher Rieger » Sat Mar 17, 2007 10:50 pm

The Chattanooga outlet isn't bad. I had lunch there last month and thought it wasn't as good as the Frankfort location, but definitely better than the local establishment. We used to love going to Thai Smile when it was over on Hurstbourne, but my wife won't go back after the last lackluster dinner on Preston.

Now I just need to make a trip to Muncie and my Thai Smile U.S. tour will be complete!
no avatar
User

John R.

{ RANK }

Foodie

Old Lousiville

Re: Thai Smile Chattanooga location

by John R. » Tue Mar 20, 2007 4:15 pm

Christopher Rieger wrote:The Chattanooga outlet isn't bad. I had lunch there last month and thought it wasn't as good as the Frankfort location, but definitely better than the local establishment. We used to love going to Thai Smile when it was over on Hurstbourne, but my wife won't go back after the last lackluster dinner on Preston.

Now I just need to make a trip to Muncie and my Thai Smile U.S. tour will be complete!

When was the last time you were at the Preston branch?
User

Christopher Rieger

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sat Mar 03, 2007 10:03 pm

Louisville, KY

Thai Smile 5

by Christopher Rieger » Tue Mar 20, 2007 4:28 pm

It's been several months, at least 6 or so. It was a Friday night and we were the only people dining at around 6:30 PM.
no avatar
User

John R.

{ RANK }

Foodie

Old Lousiville

Re: Thai Smile 5

by John R. » Tue Mar 20, 2007 4:30 pm

Christopher Rieger wrote:It's been several months, at least 6 or so. It was a Friday night and we were the only people dining at around 6:30 PM.

That time frame is hard to know if it was new or old management. I am curious people seem to think that it's better than it was, and it is, but not many seem to like it as much as I. I find it interesting.