Welcome to the Louisville Restaurants Forum, a civil place for the intelligent discussion of the local restaurant scene and just about any other topic related to food and drink in and around Louisville.
no avatar
User

Shannon W

{ RANK }

Foodie

Wed Aug 29, 2007 3:06 pm

Would you eat Sushi with a "C" Rating in the windo

by Shannon W » Mon Sep 17, 2007 8:05 am

The other thread reminded me of this question....

I've always found Fuji to be consistently good, with fast & friendly service.

However, my friend told me there is a "C" hanging on their front window. I'm not uber-picky, but I like my raw food provider to score better than barely passing in regards to sanitation. I drove by last Friday and yep...still a "C."

What to the experts on this forum think?
no avatar
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Tue Feb 27, 2007 2:38 pm

Crescent Hill

Re: Would you eat Sushi with a "C" Rating in the w

by Robin Garr » Mon Sep 17, 2007 8:21 am

Shannon Williams wrote:However, my friend told me there is a "C" hanging on their front window. I'm not uber-picky, but I like my raw food provider to score better than barely passing in regards to sanitation. I drove by last Friday and yep...still a "C."

What to the experts on this forum think?

A "C" is not as scary as you might think. What it usually means is that they are being punished for a "critical violation," but they get a chance to reverse it after a week or two.

Because the sanitation regs are very strict (as they should be!), a critical violation can be something very temporary - I know of one restaurant that got one for leaving Windex (a "toxic, non-food item") out on a table when the inspector was in.

Unless the C "sticks" and is still there in a few weeks, I'd assume it was something trivial like that.

You can also look up the actual inspection form, but I'm pretty sure you have to go down to the Metro Health Department in person to do it.

Or you could go in and politely ask them to tell you the story.

Short answer, though, it's very unlikely that the C will stay, or that it has to do with any kind of serious, ongoing problem.
no avatar
User

Aaron Newton

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 15, 2007 3:34 pm

by Aaron Newton » Mon Sep 17, 2007 8:26 am

I don't know enough about the specifics of the inspection criteria to speak on it, but it's been discussed here a lot that relatively minor infractions can result in a whole drop in letter grade. I can't help but agree, though, it shakes the faith a great deal to see a 73% attached to any place, much less a sushi restaurant.

It'd be nice if the Jefferson Co. Board of Health posted inspection summaries listing infractions on their website so we could see exactly what resulted in such a low score. Unforunately all we get is the score and grade. However, from the website we do see that in their Dec 28th 2006 inspection, they recieved a 99%. I'd be willing to bet they were unlucky and got caught on a bad night when a few things were out of place from the norm, and that the follow-up inspection will bring them way back up.
no avatar
User

Leah S

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 12:31 pm

Old Louisville

by Leah S » Mon Sep 17, 2007 1:25 pm

"A "C" is not as scary as you might think. What it usually means is that they are being punished for a "critical violation," but they get a chance to reverse it after a week or two."

Ummm, no, Robin. The C is there for six months, until the next regular inspection. I think you're confusing it with a B which is correctable within 7-10 days on reinspection. If you get a C it is for a fairly serious violation or even two or three fairly serious violations. It's a punishing grade and apparently meant to be so since it stays up on your front door for so long.

Unless the Health Department rules have radically changed . . .

I don't personally even like sushi, but I can say that I would not eat raw food at a restaurant with a C. But that's just me. Please don't ever let my judgement or opinion replace your own.
no avatar
User

Amy Hoover

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 12:27 pm

Butchertown

by Amy Hoover » Mon Sep 17, 2007 1:36 pm

I think Robin is right on this one, Leah. If you receive a "B" you have to live with it until the next grading period. But if you receive a "C" you have 7-10 days to be reinspected.

When I was at Primo, we received a "C" because they came in before we had started serving lunch, and the dish machine was not properly stocked with soap yet. They were kind enough to come back the following day to reinspect so we could remove the "C" and replace it with an "A" at 100%.
“Fear less, hope more; Eat less, chew more; Whine less, breathe more; Talk less, say more; Love more, and all good things will be yours”

Swedish Proverb
no avatar
User

Leah S

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 12:31 pm

Old Louisville

by Leah S » Mon Sep 17, 2007 1:39 pm

OK, well, I've mixed things up before. Probably will happen again, too!
no avatar
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Mon Sep 17, 2007 2:06 pm

Leah s wrote:"A "C" is not as scary as you might think. What it usually means is that they are being punished for a "critical violation," but they get a chance to reverse it after a week or two."

Ummm, no, Robin. The C is there for six months, until the next regular inspection. I think you're confusing it with a B which is correctable within 7-10 days on reinspection. If you get a C it is for a fairly serious violation or even two or three fairly serious violations. It's a punishing grade and apparently meant to be so since it stays up on your front door for so long.

What Amy said. It really does go against logic and common sense, and more than one restaurant owner has told me that if they thought they saw a B coming, they might instantly commit a "critical violation" to get a quick-fix C instead.
no avatar
User

James Paul

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Apr 06, 2007 2:08 am

Seymour, Texas

by James Paul » Mon Sep 17, 2007 2:12 pm

I am no expert but NO I would not, not even oysters which I love raw.
Every days a holiday and every meals a feast !
no avatar
User

Vince Yustas

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 3:38 pm

Brandenburg, KY

by Vince Yustas » Mon Sep 17, 2007 2:15 pm

Robin Garr wrote:more than one restaurant owner has told me that if they thought they saw a B coming, they might instantly commit a "critical violation" to get a quick-fix C instead.

Love it!!!!

And that's why they instituted baseball's infield fly rule many years ago!
Vince Yustas
Brandenburg (nee Paterson, NJ) KY
"Only a fool argues with a skunk, a mule or the cook."
no avatar
User

Shannon W

{ RANK }

Foodie

Wed Aug 29, 2007 3:06 pm

by Shannon W » Mon Sep 17, 2007 4:08 pm

Thanks for the replies and explanations. I have looked up the ratings on the website and find it very interesting. I too, wish the exact violations were made more accessible. I'm certainly not worried about soap in the wrong container...but what if the raw fish is not being kept cool enough?

I have a background in microbiology and parasitology, so I understand the risks of dining in someone elses' kitchen. And, I would not hesitate to ask about why they have a "C." What bothers me, is why hasn't it been corrected? I notice plently of restaurents (even upscale ones) who get a "C" and get an "A" the very next day.

(I even ate Sushi there, while pregnant :oops: )
no avatar
User

Deb Hall

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sun Mar 04, 2007 4:46 pm

Highlands , Louisville

by Deb Hall » Mon Sep 17, 2007 4:35 pm

Shannon,

In fairness to the restaurant, how quickly you can get "re-reviewed" is entirely up to the individual inspector. You can't get it changed until the Health Inspector comes back to re-inspect, and some inspectors will make you wait a lot longer than others. Our inspector was a really great person, but I've heard from others that some of them do things just to "bust your %#&*". Fuji may have /probably has fixed the critical violation but the sign doesn't change until their Health Inspector arranges to come back out again.

Deb
no avatar
User

Ron Johnson

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 11:48 am

by Ron Johnson » Mon Sep 17, 2007 4:39 pm

I am more concerned with the sheer number of restaurants offering sushi as opposed to the cleanliness of each one. Is there enought sushi quality fish out there to supply all of these restaurants?
no avatar
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Mon Sep 17, 2007 4:52 pm

Ron Johnson wrote:I am more concerned with the sheer number of restaurants offering sushi as opposed to the cleanliness of each one. Is there enought sushi quality fish out there to supply all of these restaurants?

Better to ask, how many sushi restaurants have trained <i>itamae</i>. Or even, if it matters (I'm not sure it does), how many sushi restaurants have Japanese sushi chefs.

With Bluefin and all the other quality sources of fish around town, though, I really don't think the sushi market is going to drain the supply. Particularly since sushi in the US has almost invariably been flash-frozen - not for economy but for p- p- parasite control.
no avatar
User

Ron Johnson

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 11:48 am

by Ron Johnson » Mon Sep 17, 2007 4:56 pm

your points are well-taken. I am very leery of all of the asian restaurants that suddenly decide to offer sushi in addition to their regular menu.
no avatar
User

Vince Yustas

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 3:38 pm

Brandenburg, KY

by Vince Yustas » Mon Sep 17, 2007 5:16 pm

When we're talking about the number of restaurants and the raw fish suppliers, I'm getting a little confused. Are we talking about
sushi (the cold rice dish, sometimes with a bit of raw fish)
or sashimi (the raw fish dish)
or both?

I don't know that I have seen a great increase in sashimi places -- but I may be wrong, just being a Louisvlle visitor.
Vince Yustas
Brandenburg (nee Paterson, NJ) KY
"Only a fool argues with a skunk, a mule or the cook."
Next