Welcome to the Louisville Restaurants Forum, a civil place for the intelligent discussion of the local restaurant scene and just about any other topic related to food and drink in and around Louisville.
User

Doug W

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 2:30 pm

Re: Four new breweries opening soon in Louisville!

by Doug W » Sun Jun 19, 2011 4:39 pm

This is great news! I look forward to enjoying the fruits of your collective labors soon!

Best of luck to all of you and I will do my part by promising to drink more beer just to help.

Sometimes you just have to step up and take one for the team...

Cheers,

Doug
User

Joel Halblieb

{ RANK }

Foodie

Tue Oct 30, 2007 8:59 pm

Metaphysicalcenteroftheuniverse

by Joel Halblieb » Sun Jun 19, 2011 8:02 pm

So there are three breweries not four? Just sifting through the posts here. A Nano and two Brewpubs correct?
User

David R. Pierce

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 1:02 pm

by David R. Pierce » Sun Jun 19, 2011 8:20 pm

Joel Halblieb wrote:So there are three breweries not four? Just sifting through the posts here. A Nano and two Brewpubs correct?

A brewpub: AtG
Two nanos: LouBrew and Flanagan's (from the Coomes article)
Package Brewery: Rob Coffey's venture

Reminds me of the mid90's everywhere but here.
Cheers,
David R. Pierce
The Original BBC Brewmaster
Bluegrass Brewing Co.
St. Matthews branch
Craft Brewing Louisville continuously since 1992
no avatar
User

Rob Coffey

{ RANK }

Foodie

Wed Feb 06, 2008 12:17 pm

by Rob Coffey » Sun Jun 19, 2011 8:32 pm

David R. Pierce wrote:
Joel Halblieb wrote:So there are three breweries not four? Just sifting through the posts here. A Nano and two Brewpubs correct?

Which is a bit scary, I must say. But some very good ones survived the mid 90s. BBC locally. Nationally, Dogfish Head and Stone are from that era. And lots of others.

However, even though many closed in the late 90s, early 00s, the total craft beer numbers just flattened, they didnt drop. It was a consolidation, not a drop in the market.

Is the Flanagan's one going to a nano or a brewpub? I assumed as part of Flanagans the latter.

Edit: Thinking back, there were a bunch in that mid 90s era locally too - Hops and Oldenburg and Pipkin off the top of my head.
User

David R. Pierce

{ RANK }

Foodie

by David R. Pierce » Sun Jun 19, 2011 9:13 pm

Rob Coffey wrote:
David R. Pierce wrote:

Is the Flanagan's one going to a nano or a brewpub? I assumed as part of Flanagans the latter.

Edit: Thinking back, there were a bunch in that mid 90s era locally too - Hops and Oldenburg and Pipkin off the top of my head.

I believe the Flanagans to be a nano operating out of the red room to produce beer for the O'Shea family of pubs. Maybe Ashley will chime in and clarify.
Pipkin was purchased by BBC production at Clay & Main. Hops was a chain and a poor one at that. Oldenburg never should have left their package brewery roots. You forgot the Silo, '92 - 97, which after two owner groups closed and sold to Jillians.
Last edited by David R. Pierce on Sun Jun 19, 2011 11:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Cheers,
David R. Pierce
Bluegrass Brewing Co.
St. Matthews branch
no avatar
User

BillB

{ RANK }

Foodie

Tue Feb 19, 2008 1:58 pm

by BillB » Sun Jun 19, 2011 9:21 pm

News so wonderful, it makes a lurker like me start typing. Can't wait to sample all the new offerings.
no avatar
User

Rob Coffey

{ RANK }

Foodie

by Rob Coffey » Sun Jun 19, 2011 11:37 pm

David R. Pierce wrote: You forgot the Silo, '92 - 96ish, which after two owner groups closed and sold to Jillians.

I didnt forget the Silo so much as I didnt think it lasted that long. :D
User

David R. Pierce

{ RANK }

Foodie

by David R. Pierce » Sun Jun 19, 2011 11:45 pm

Rob Coffey wrote:
David R. Pierce wrote: You forgot the Silo, '92 - 96ish, which after two owner groups closed and sold to Jillians.

Longer than the other two. The Silo actually lasted until 1997, five years.
Cheers,
David R. Pierce
Bluegrass Brewing Co.
St. Matthews branch
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Tue Feb 27, 2007 2:38 pm

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Mon Jun 20, 2011 7:55 am

David R. Pierce wrote:The Silo actually lasted until 1997, five years.

Am I correct in recalling that The Silo was in fact Louisville's first brewpub? I'm pretty sure I remember the guy who made their beer. :lol:

I knew the end was near, though, the day I was in there and saw them hauling Bud Light in by the case.
no avatar
User

Rob Coffey

{ RANK }

Foodie

by Rob Coffey » Mon Jun 20, 2011 9:04 am

David R. Pierce wrote:
Rob Coffey wrote:

Longer than the other two. The Silo actually lasted until 1997, five years.

I remember them being closed in fall of 95, but that could have been between the two ownership groups. I had some friends in town down from Madison (WI) and I was going to take them to the Silo, but it was closed, so we ended up at BBC instead - which was my first time there. There was an ESB, which IIRC was a staple for a while, which was the first "hoppy" beer I ever loved.
User

David R. Pierce

{ RANK }

Foodie

by David R. Pierce » Mon Jun 20, 2011 9:32 am

Rob Coffey wrote:
I remember them being closed in fall of 95, but that could have been between the two ownership groups. I had some friends in town down from Madison (WI) and I was going to take them to the Silo, but it was closed, so we ended up at BBC instead - which was my first time there. There was an ESB, which IIRC was a staple for a while, which was the first "hoppy" beer I ever loved.

That was the first closing. They reopened fast.

The ESB in question was SOB's ESB named after BBC partner Pat Hagan. I adapted one of Pat's old homebrew recipes and kicked it up a bit.
Cheers,
David R. Pierce
Bluegrass Brewing Co.
St. Matthews branch
User

David R. Pierce

{ RANK }

Foodie

by David R. Pierce » Mon Jun 20, 2011 9:34 am

Robin Garr wrote:
David R. Pierce wrote:The Silo actually lasted until 1997, five years.

Am I correct in recalling that The Silo was in fact Louisville's first brewpub? I'm pretty sure I remember the guy who made their beer. :lol:

I knew the end was near, though, the day I was in there and saw them hauling Bud Light in by the case.

Silo was the second brewery to open after Falls City ceased operation in 1978 (still not brewed here, another thread). Charlie's at sixth & main was the first. I brewmastered their first two batches including culturing yeast from a Sierra Nevada Pale Ale bottle. Chef Herb Broderick took over brewing. Charlie's never purchased brewing equipment.

The Silo managers were hauling in pallet loads of swill before the doors even opened. When I left Silo in spring '93, there were 18 domestic/import bottles on the beer list.
Cheers,
David R. Pierce
Bluegrass Brewing Co.
St. Matthews branch
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Tue Feb 27, 2007 2:38 pm

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Mon Jun 20, 2011 10:46 am

David R. Pierce wrote:Charlie's at sixth & main was the first.

That may have been when we were away in exile in NYC. 8) The Silo is the first one I was aware of after I got back ... I did a story about it for something. Louisville Magazine?
no avatar
User

Rob Coffey

{ RANK }

Foodie

by Rob Coffey » Mon Jun 20, 2011 11:24 am

David R. Pierce wrote:
Rob Coffey wrote:

That was the first closing. They reopened fast.

The ESB in question was SOB's ESB named after BBC partner Pat Hagan. I adapted one of Pat's old homebrew recipes and kicked it up a bit.

Ive been telling people for years that it was called SOB and no one else seems to remember it. Nice to know that Im not insane. Well, for that reason.
no avatar
User

Jeremy Rathfon

{ RANK }

Just got here

Mon Jun 20, 2011 11:35 am

by Jeremy Rathfon » Mon Jun 20, 2011 12:12 pm

Hey Everybody,

Exciting news! The more craft brewers the better!

I'm Jeremy from LouBrew, wanted to say hey. All these new breweries are going to be great, a new boom to the Louisville beer scene! LouBrew's vision is going to be a little different and I feel it will mesh well with the current scene. The idea is to bring a real small neighborhood brewery (in Germantown) into existence with continually rotating beer styles and varieties. I would like to keep LouBrew small and locally grounded. I hope to incorporate local ingredients, art, and food into my taproom, source as many ingredients as possible from the surrounding area (honey, barrels, pumpkins, fruit, etc.), and hold numerous opinion polls to determine what to brew and which events to hold.

The other unique part of LouBrew is how I'm getting started, with Kickstarter, a community fundraising project where in exchange for support we have some great incentives offered. If you are interested, please check us out, spread the word, and pledge a dollar or two! We can't do it without you!

As David posted earlier, our fundraising Kickstarter campaign can be found here!
Thank you!
Jeremy M. Rathfon, Ph.D.
LouBrew, LLC
loubrew.com
jeremy@loubrew.com
502-438-8ALE
PreviousNext