Welcome to the Louisville Restaurants Forum, a civil place for the intelligent discussion of the local restaurant scene and just about any other topic related to food and drink in and around Louisville.

re: passe dish!

no avatar
User

looi

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sun Mar 04, 2007 11:23 pm

re: passe dish!

by looi » Sun Sep 16, 2007 4:58 pm

I wonder how the city is trying to attract young professionals into the city with the slogan: "you can drink a mint julep with your chop suey, and no one raises an eyebrow." My eyes nearly popped out when I read that sentence!
no avatar
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Tue Feb 27, 2007 2:38 pm

Crescent Hill

Re: re: passe dish!

by Robin Garr » Sun Sep 16, 2007 5:02 pm

looi wrote:I wonder how the city is trying to attract young professionals into the city with the slogan: "you can drink a mint julep with your chop suey, and no one raises an eyebrow." My eyes nearly popped out when I read that sentence!

That seemed idiotic to me, too, Looi. But then, the whole program didn't strike me as really ready for prime time.
no avatar
User

Leah S

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 12:31 pm

Old Louisville

by Leah S » Sun Sep 16, 2007 6:48 pm

This new ad campaign has left me scratching my head. It's making the 'ville look bumpkin-esque.
no avatar
User

Steve Shade

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Mar 02, 2007 10:53 am

by Steve Shade » Sun Sep 16, 2007 8:01 pm

looi wrote:I wonder how the city is trying to attract young professionals into the city with the slogan: "you can drink a mint julep with your chop suey, and no one raises an eyebrow." My eyes nearly popped out when I read that sentence!

I really don't want to drink a mint julep with my chop suey.

I also don't want to drink a mint julep for any reason.

As far as chop suey .. yuck.

Really stupid and I believe anybody with any sense would look at that statement and say "no way Louisville"
no avatar
User

Erin Riedel

{ RANK }

Foodie

Wed Mar 28, 2007 2:14 pm

Germantown

by Erin Riedel » Sun Sep 16, 2007 8:18 pm

I just watched the videos for this campaign on the CJ's website, and they are truly awful. I can tell that they're trying to be funny, but they're failing miserably. I'm embarrassed for Louisville.
no avatar
User

Amy Hoover

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 12:27 pm

Butchertown

by Amy Hoover » Sun Sep 16, 2007 8:42 pm

I saw a couple of the commercials last night during the game. I could do nothing but cringe. I can see what the intent might have been, but I truly think it will turn people off more than draw them in. It's quite embarrassing actually.
“Fear less, hope more; Eat less, chew more; Whine less, breathe more; Talk less, say more; Love more, and all good things will be yours”

Swedish Proverb
no avatar
User

Ray W.

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Apr 26, 2007 11:30 am

Lyndon

by Ray W. » Sun Sep 16, 2007 8:46 pm

The Derby City has been making some positive strides...Why it seemed like only yesterday when you could smoke a pack of Camels with your chop suey, and no one would raise an eyebrow...Which reminds me...Do we still have those "Welcome To Louisville...16th Largest City In America" signs on the interstates?...Talk about a real eye catcher there...
no avatar
User

Tina M

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sat Mar 03, 2007 3:21 pm

Highlands

by Tina M » Mon Sep 17, 2007 12:01 am

Have you seen the one of an older lady sitting in her apartment? The announcer is saying something like, "She dreams of living someplace without all the noise from car alarms and breaking glass. Someplace calm and peaceful like Louisville."

I think whoever said they were trying to be funny was right. It's sooo embarassing.

And why are they showing those commercials here? We already live here.
no avatar
User

James Paul

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Apr 06, 2007 2:08 am

Seymour, Texas

by James Paul » Mon Sep 17, 2007 4:49 am

Chop Suey like calling hogs. You would have to have a lot of Mt. Juleps
to even eat that stuff(my least favorite Chinese next to egg foo young)

It must have been written by a New Yorker.

:roll:
Every days a holiday and every meals a feast !
no avatar
User

Ed Vermillion

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Mar 02, 2007 1:32 pm

38 degrees 25' 25' N 85 degrees 36' 2' W

by Ed Vermillion » Mon Sep 17, 2007 6:12 pm

Are we talking about the nightmare that is

http://www.sharelouisville.org

or have I missed some other hell spawned attempt at cuteness.

Check out the one about the young man in Ohio. Does the narrator actually say "he dreams of getting a girl with a tattoo on her butt."?

Is this a terrible practical joke?

(Not that I care if you have a tattoo on you butt, just that it seems to me to be a poor selling point for the ville)
no avatar
User

Suzi Bernert

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 2:08 pm

Louisville, KY

by Suzi Bernert » Mon Sep 17, 2007 9:11 pm

I e-mailed them already to tell them how AWFULL the commercials are.....no reply yet. Guess they are too busy looking for other cities to mock and make Louisville look like Goofy-ville. :oops:
Retired from LMEMS
Co-Founder and House Mother
Berndows Enterprise
"Time to eat?"
no avatar
User

Leah S

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 12:31 pm

Old Louisville

by Leah S » Mon Sep 17, 2007 9:19 pm

I just watched all of them. They are truly awful. Embarassingly awful.
no avatar
User

Chris Dunn

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 12:34 pm

Shepherdsville

by Chris Dunn » Tue Sep 18, 2007 9:50 am

Leah s wrote:I just watched all of them. They are truly awful. Embarassingly awful.

I'm not sure awful is strong enough. If they wanted to make funny videos shouldn't someone involved with the project have, you know, a sense of humor?
no avatar
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Tue Feb 27, 2007 2:38 pm

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Tue Sep 18, 2007 9:55 am

Chris Dunn wrote:I'm not sure awful is strong enough. If they wanted to make funny videos shouldn't someone involved with the project have, you know, a sense of humor?

Hey, we're dealing with an agency that thought it would be cool to name itself ... red7e ???
no avatar
User

Amy Hoover

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 12:27 pm

Butchertown

by Amy Hoover » Tue Sep 18, 2007 10:52 am

what's up with their website? I'm either greatly technologically challenged or easy to confuse. The visuals and audio are lovely, but I can't find any information about the company.

http://www.red7e.com
“Fear less, hope more; Eat less, chew more; Whine less, breathe more; Talk less, say more; Love more, and all good things will be yours”

Swedish Proverb
Next