Welcome to the Louisville Restaurants Forum, a civil place for the intelligent discussion of the local restaurant scene and just about any other topic related to food and drink in and around Louisville.
no avatar
User

Shawn Vest

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sun Jul 15, 2007 9:10 pm

850 main street, charlestown, indiana

by Shawn Vest » Thu Sep 20, 2007 12:41 am

the immigrants is a pretty good hypothesis, not intended to be implied negatively
their general appearance (clothes, hairstyles, mannerisms)
their language (definately eastern european, maybe hungarian?, the use of little or no english when communicating with the staff)

just an overall appraisal, maybe they're not immigrants

i've been wrong before

i saw the olive bar cleaned twice while i was there

and the fresh product was always added to the top of the container, there was no rotation of the olives - this is how our Team Leader trained us to care for the olives....

ad almost every sample of cheese there is out of date
Without question, the greatest invention in the history of mankind is beer. Oh, I grant you that the wheel was also a fine invention, but the wheel does not go nearly as well with pizza. D Barry
www.ctownpizzaco.com
850 MAIN 812-256-2699
no avatar
User

David Clancy

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 12:09 pm

A couch in Andy's house.

The Dreaded Orange Sampler......

by David Clancy » Thu Sep 20, 2007 9:27 am

We used to see him coming Via Seafood and hide all of our stuff lest he clean us out.........of course, the fried gizzards would remain. Shawn, I'll be in on Sunday after brunch for that pie!
David Clancy
Fabulous Old Louisville
(Is this your homework Larry?)
no avatar
User

Michelle R.

{ RANK }

Foodie

Wed May 30, 2007 1:28 pm

Hikes Point

by Michelle R. » Thu Sep 20, 2007 9:38 am

Shawn Vest wrote:as a former Whole foods employee

trust me don't eat the samples
it is disgusting to witness the poor manners exhibited at "free sample" areas
i've seen it all
douple dipping, food spraying from open mouths while asking what it is that their eating
putting crackers that have been bitten back into the samples

i've watched customers place their discarded olive pits back into the olive bar

oh, and most samples are "out of date" products

if you have to taste something, make them open a fresh container for you- at whole foods the employees have to do this for you

I thought the policy at Whole Foods was that they HAD to open something if a customer wanted a taste of it.

However, I've found that not to be the case when I've asked. Out of the zillion and one times I've spent money in there, I've asked to sample something twice, and was a bit miffed that both times we asked to try something, we were told flat out, "No, we don't do that."

One of my friends went through training at Whole Foods, and told me that one of the things they stressed was customer service, and to let the customer try anything, even if this meant opening a jar of honey, or a bag of cookies.
no avatar
User

David Clancy

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 12:09 pm

A couch in Andy's house.

by David Clancy » Thu Sep 20, 2007 10:15 am

Michelle R. wrote:
Shawn Vest wrote:as a former Whole foods employee

trust me don't eat the samples
it is disgusting to witness the poor manners exhibited at "free sample" areas
i've seen it all
douple dipping, food spraying from open mouths while asking what it is that their eating
putting crackers that have been bitten back into the samples

i've watched customers place their discarded olive pits back into the olive bar

oh, and most samples are "out of date" products

if you have to taste something, make them open a fresh container for you- at whole foods the employees have to do this for you

I thought the policy at Whole Foods was that they HAD to open something if a customer wanted a taste of it.

However, I've found that not to be the case when I've asked. Out of the zillion and one times I've spent money in there, I've asked to sample something twice, and was a bit miffed that both times we asked to try something, we were told flat out, "No, we don't do that."

One of my friends went through training at Whole Foods, and told me that one of the things they stressed was customer service, and to let the customer try anything, even if this meant opening a jar of honey, or a bag of cookies.
Stated policy and reality are very different things. When a company cares only about bottom line sales, everything else is just fluff.........
David Clancy
Fabulous Old Louisville
(Is this your homework Larry?)
no avatar
User

Shawn Vest

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sun Jul 15, 2007 9:10 pm

850 main street, charlestown, indiana

by Shawn Vest » Thu Sep 20, 2007 12:15 pm

i agree with Dave
stated policy vs. reality

each team member can also jsut give you the product you'd like to taste
rather than opening the container

- each team member can give away $50 worth of free product to customers - i was told $50 per team member per day, no questions asked

ask them for free stuff

if they tell you they won't open a product for you - complain and talk to a "team leader"

have fun at the whofo

see you on sunday mr clancy -
Without question, the greatest invention in the history of mankind is beer. Oh, I grant you that the wheel was also a fine invention, but the wheel does not go nearly as well with pizza. D Barry
www.ctownpizzaco.com
850 MAIN 812-256-2699
no avatar
User

Todd Antz

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri May 11, 2007 12:37 pm

Clarksville, IN

by Todd Antz » Fri Sep 21, 2007 9:49 am

Back to non-disgusting sampling..... (note to self, don't get olives at Whole Foods)

Keg Liquors holds 2 tastings a month. We do a wine tasting with 6-7 different wines on the 2nd Thursday of each month, and we do a beer tasting with typically 6-7 different beers on the last Thursday of each month. I usually pair different cheeses with the wines, but it is usually bought the same day. I try to keep people from congregating around the sample table just so crumbs don't fly around. I've actually been known to clear off the snacks if I see soemthing like that happen. I guess I have a low tolerance for anything like that.
Keg Liquors
Keeping Kentuckiana Beer'd since 1976
http://www.kegliquors.com

617 E. Lewis & Clark Pkwy
Clarksville, IN 47129
812-283-3988

4304 Charlestown Road
New Albany, IN 47150
812-948-0444
Previous