Welcome to the Louisville Restaurants Forum, a civil place for the intelligent discussion of the local restaurant scene and just about any other topic related to food and drink in and around Louisville.

Thai Satay

no avatar
User

Kim H

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 12:07 pm

Louisville

Thai Satay

by Kim H » Sat Sep 15, 2007 12:30 pm

I'm making a chicken satay type dish for my team at work, but I realized that I haven't actually eaten satay in years. So I'm trying to create my recipe, but it's like trying to whistle a tune you can't quite remember. I need to taste some good satay to bounce off of, and was wondering which local Thai restaurant might be the best to check out for this dish. Opinions, please...
no avatar
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Tue Feb 27, 2007 2:38 pm

Crescent Hill

Re: Thai Satay

by Robin Garr » Sat Sep 15, 2007 12:42 pm

Kim H wrote:I'm making a chicken satay type dish for my team at work, but I realized that I haven't actually eaten satay in years. So I'm trying to create my recipe, but it's like trying to whistle a tune you can't quite remember. I need to taste some good satay to bounce off of, and was wondering which local Thai restaurant might be the best to check out for this dish. Opinions, please...

It's a simple dish, Kim, so just about any of the usual suspects will do. I do love Thai Taste on Lower Brownsboro myself ...
no avatar
User

Kim H

{ RANK }

Foodie

Louisville

by Kim H » Sat Sep 15, 2007 12:55 pm

Robin Garr wrote:
Kim H wrote:I'm making a chicken satay type dish for my team at work, but I realized that I haven't actually eaten satay in years. So I'm trying to create my recipe, but it's like trying to whistle a tune you can't quite remember. I need to taste some good satay to bounce off of, and was wondering which local Thai restaurant might be the best to check out for this dish. Opinions, please...

It's a simple dish, Kim, so just about any of the usual suspects will do. I do love Thai Taste on Lower Brownsboro myself ...

Thanks, Robin! That actually was where I was thinking of going, but wanted to check with people here first. But for the record, although it seems simple, there are a lot of flavor variations that can go into this dish. Do you want to marinate the chicken in the peanut sauce, or a different marinade? If different (which I want to do), what marinade do you want to use? What level of sweet/peanut/sour/hot do you want the peanut sauce to be? Use coconut milk or not? Any curry flavor in it or no? Etc. You get the idea. It's not critical as my teammates probably have never had Thai. I'm just a little particular with my recipes.
no avatar
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Sat Sep 15, 2007 1:03 pm

Kim H wrote: I'm just a little particular with my recipes.

That's a good way to be, Kim!

I don't think I've ever made satay at home, but I'm thinking I would go with coconut milk and curry in my peanut sauce and make it piquant but not fiery. A little curry in the marinade too, I think. The satays that stick out in my memory have a nice golden curry color.
no avatar
User

Kim H

{ RANK }

Foodie

Louisville

by Kim H » Sat Sep 15, 2007 1:20 pm

I made it about 4 years ago for my mom, and it was right on where I wanted it to be. I even kept track of exact amounts of ingredients in my journal, but my journal is in a box somewhere, so I figured I'd start over. My dad used to get so mad at me because I would make a recipe creation for he and mom that he would love, but I couldn't just give the recipe so Mom could re-create it. I'm a 'touchy-feely' cook - a little of this, a little more of that... Made him mad. So I tried to start writing recipes down, but it doesn't help if you don't know where they are. :oops:
no avatar
User

looi

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sun Mar 04, 2007 11:23 pm

by looi » Sat Sep 15, 2007 3:44 pm

Maybe you may want to check out the Malaysian satay.
See story: http://query.nytimes.com/gst/fullpage.h ... A962948260
no avatar
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Sat Sep 15, 2007 3:58 pm

looi wrote:Maybe you may want to check out the Malaysian satay.
See story: http://query.nytimes.com/gst/fullpage.h ... A962948260

Excellent article, Looi, thanks!

Do you ever have Malaysian satay at August Moon? Or Asiatique? I'd make a special trip to try some of that.
no avatar
User

looi

{ RANK }

Foodie

by looi » Sat Sep 15, 2007 4:10 pm

Hi Robin:

I always have the Malaysian chicken satay and Mee Goreng on the menu. The recipes are from my hometown, Ipoh. Thanks.
no avatar
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Sat Sep 15, 2007 4:16 pm

looi wrote:Hi Robin:

I always have the Malaysian chicken satay and Mee Goreng on the menu. The recipes are from my hometown, Ipoh. Thanks.

This is at August Moon? I'll be over shortly! Well, not tonight, but ...
no avatar
User

looi

{ RANK }

Foodie

by looi » Sat Sep 15, 2007 11:30 pm

my apologies but yes, at August Moon..