Welcome to the Louisville Restaurants Forum, a civil place for the intelligent discussion of the local restaurant scene and just about any other topic related to food and drink in and around Louisville.

Varanese - Friday night

User

Casey J.

{ RANK }

Foodie

Tue Mar 13, 2007 4:39 pm

Elizabethtown + Prospect

Varanese - Friday night

by Casey J. » Sat Sep 15, 2007 6:07 am

My wife and I dined at Varanese on Friday night and it was fantastic. Varanese, to those who are not familiar, is on Frankfort Ave. in the old Red Lounge location. Based on our meal last night, it is a new favorite. If they get it that right every night, it will become known as one of the best in Louisville. For starters we had: Artichoke, spinach, and mozzarella cheese spheres lightly fried, served with a tomato- herb dipping sauce for $6. The marinara sauce is some of the best I have ever tasted. The sauce and the bruschetta sample they brought to the table, reminded us of the restaurants we love in Boston's heavily Italian North End. We also tried the Curried lamb empanadas stuffed with goat cheese, tomato and cucumber accompanied by a yogurt dipping sauce for $7. They were light and excellent. For dinner my wife had Pecan encrusted mahi-mahi atop molasses whipped sweet potatoes and honey butter sauce for $17. My wife said it was amazing that a fish dish could remind you of Thanksgiving and the fall, but this one did. It was an well thought out culmination of varied flavors that worked wonderful together. I tried the Grilled salmon smothered in a caramelized mandarin orange sauce served over cream cheese grits for $16 and a glass of Clean Slate Riesling for $6. The dish was well portioned, perfectly prepared and very light. I was concerned the sauce would have an overly sweet flavor, but it did not. On top of the excellent well-priced meal, our service was perfect without being over attentive. We will return very soon !!!
User

Ron Johnson

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 11:48 am

by Ron Johnson » Mon Sep 17, 2007 8:05 am

wow, I had no idea that Varanese was doing food like restaurants in Boston's North End. Some of my favorite old-school Italian restaurants are there. I need to go check out Varanese.
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Tue Feb 27, 2007 2:38 pm

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Mon Sep 17, 2007 8:23 am

Ron Johnson wrote:wow, I had no idea that Varanese was doing food like restaurants in Boston's North End. Some of my favorite old-school Italian restaurants are there. I need to go check out Varanese.

I like Varanese, a lot. I'd liken the menu more to the old menu at Azalea, though. Chef Varanese was executive chef at Azalea for several years, and the overall sense of the menu strikes me as similar. I wouldn't call it "Italian," though, and in fact, I think Varanese's term for it is "Eclectic Mediterranean."
User

Ron Johnson

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 11:48 am

by Ron Johnson » Mon Sep 17, 2007 9:09 am

That's what I was led to believe from ealrier posts on the place. Oh well, I will just have to fly to Boston to get my North End fix.
User

Casey J.

{ RANK }

Foodie

Tue Mar 13, 2007 4:39 pm

Elizabethtown + Prospect

Overall feel

by Casey J. » Mon Sep 17, 2007 9:55 am

The overall feel is definitely not Italian, but the two items I mentioned were.
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Tue Feb 27, 2007 2:38 pm

Crescent Hill

Re: Overall feel

by Robin Garr » Mon Sep 17, 2007 10:34 am

Casey J. wrote:The overall feel is definitely not Italian, but the two items I mentioned were.

That makes it clear, Casey! I'll agree, the bruschetta we were served as an amuse bouche were exceptional. Gotta try those artichoke, spinach, and mozzarella spheres!
User

Bill Veneman

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 12:35 pm

East End outside of the Watterson, but not afraid to travel for good grub

Finally made it........

by Bill Veneman » Wed Oct 17, 2007 9:06 am

Stopped by last evening for dinner. It is EXCELLENT. Food was super, atmosphere is fun (love the way the dining room opens up "California Style" for Indoor/Outdoor dining), and the service was always prompt, but not pushy.....very much appreciated. They had a two piece group playing, and it wasn't overpowering.

I had the chicken breast wrapped in chese and pachatto (sp) on a bed of rossito.....very tasty. My dinner companion had the pork chop, which was HUGE and very good as well.

Dinner, two glasses of wine each, and an appitizer that we split was about $75 including tip.
If life's a Banquet, what's with all the Tofu?

Cheers!

Bill V.