Welcome to the Louisville Restaurants Forum, a civil place for the intelligent discussion of the local restaurant scene and just about any other topic related to food and drink in and around Louisville.

Bardstown tips

no avatar
User

Bedford Crenshaw

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri May 18, 2007 12:12 am

Jeffersonville, Indiana

Bardstown tips

by Bedford Crenshaw » Fri Sep 14, 2007 11:18 pm

We're going to the Kentucky Bourbon Festival tomorrow, any recommendations for Bardstown?
Have you hugged your penguin today?
no avatar
User

Gayle DeM

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sun Apr 08, 2007 3:42 pm

by Gayle DeM » Fri Sep 14, 2007 11:35 pm

My favorite Bardstown restaurant is Kresos at 114 N 3rd St. You can check it out at their website: http://www.kresosweb.com
no avatar
User

Ralph B.

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Jun 11, 2007 11:08 pm

by Ralph B. » Sat Sep 15, 2007 1:56 pm

I would most definitely NOT recommend Kresos. Been twice, disappointed both times. It has so much potential, but just fails miserably.

Kurtz's is decent for country-style cooking. Great fried chicken.

That's about it for Bardstown, unfortunately. The town is very backwards in the food department.
no avatar
User

Linda C

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 08, 2007 8:38 pm

by Linda C » Sat Sep 15, 2007 2:38 pm

I hate to say this, but after the Talbott tavern reopened, we took the extended family for the worst meal I've had in ages. Overcooked dry salmon, greasy chicken, veggies out of a can, etc.
no avatar
User

Deb Hall

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sun Mar 04, 2007 4:46 pm

Highlands , Louisville

by Deb Hall » Sat Sep 15, 2007 3:14 pm

I haven't been there for several years but 've had several good meals at Kresos. It's my pick if you are going to a restaurant.

As a regular Bourbon Festival attendee though, I'd recommend eating on the Green (basically the fair). That's what we always do while tasting all the different bourbons. Can't recommend a specific vendor, but the food's usually really good like great State Fair food.

Deb
no avatar
User

Vince Yustas

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 3:38 pm

Brandenburg, KY

by Vince Yustas » Sat Sep 15, 2007 4:59 pm

We've always enjoyed Dagwood's, which is a little more upscale that Kurtz's yet still casual. You have the advantage of it's being within walking distance of the festival. It's on 3rd less that two blocks on the left coming from the old courthouse. They're known for their bourbon steaks, but I honestly didn't care for it that much -- believe it or not, too much bourbon in the marinade! Not bad at all, just not to my liking -- the meat itself was excellent and well preprared. Everything else we've had there has been excellent and they have a very good salad bar.

I think the top white linen table in town is Xavier's, which is in the same building as St. Catherine's College, and that's one block north of Stephen Foster off of 5th. However, in the back of my mind I seem to remember that they might not be serving during the festival. I think they have the bourbon tasting in there, but I'm not sure.

If you want to have a fun old-fashioned lunch, try the drugstore right at the northwest corner of 3rd at the square -- can't remember the name of it, but you can't miss it.
Vince Yustas
Brandenburg (nee Paterson, NJ) KY
"Only a fool argues with a skunk, a mule or the cook."
no avatar
User

Deb Hall

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sun Mar 04, 2007 4:46 pm

Highlands , Louisville

by Deb Hall » Sat Sep 15, 2007 5:20 pm

Hadn't thought about Xavier's. You're right: if they are open that would be a very good choice (for Bardstown).

Deb
no avatar
User

Bedford Crenshaw

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri May 18, 2007 12:12 am

Jeffersonville, Indiana

by Bedford Crenshaw » Sat Sep 15, 2007 7:41 pm

Didn't get a chance to go after all, but I'll probably be in Bardstown in the next month or so to take photos for Wikipedia and do some genealogy in Springfield, so I'll use the tips anyways. Thanks.
Have you hugged your penguin today?
no avatar
User

Casey J.

{ RANK }

Foodie

Tue Mar 13, 2007 4:39 pm

Elizabethtown + Prospect

Raywick

by Casey J. » Sat Sep 15, 2007 9:33 pm

If you are going to be that direction, it is worth the drive to go to Raywick and eat at Missy's Out Of The Way Cafe. It is fantastic restaurant with a Cajun flare, in the middle of farmland.
no avatar
User

Casey J.

{ RANK }

Foodie

Tue Mar 13, 2007 4:39 pm

Elizabethtown + Prospect

In Bardstown -- Still Bills

by Casey J. » Sat Sep 15, 2007 9:36 pm

There is a biker bar called Still Bills in Bardstown. It is rough to look at from the inside and out, but the food is fantastic. He has a secret he will not give away for his grilled chicken breast, that we have not been able to duplicate. They also have some of the best chicken livers I have ever eaten. Their homemade desserts are also very good.
no avatar
User

Gary Guss

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Mar 02, 2007 2:18 pm

Van down by the River

by Gary Guss » Sun Sep 16, 2007 7:43 am

No more Dagwoods, I think they closed up last year.

GG.