Welcome to the Louisville Restaurants Forum, a civil place for the intelligent discussion of the local restaurant scene and just about any other topic related to food and drink in and around Louisville.

Louisville sushi?

no avatar
User

ShaneMcD

{ RANK }

Just got here

Thu Sep 13, 2007 7:59 pm

Louisville sushi?

by ShaneMcD » Fri Sep 14, 2007 11:33 am

Hello Louisville! My wife and I recently moved to "The Ville" and we love sushi.
We were wondering which sushi spot, hits the spot? I've heard of Raw, Sapporo, and Maido, are these three the most popular for there quality and price? I know sushi is expensive, but I want the best quality I can find, along with a great atmosphere!
Please help, Thanks.
no avatar
User

Carolyne Davis

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sat Mar 24, 2007 11:22 am

Welcome to the 'Ville!

by Carolyne Davis » Fri Sep 14, 2007 11:53 am

Personal opinion, I have tried all three and they are all good in different ways. Raw has a very interesting atmosphere as the decor uses lots of 'raw" materials. Rather unimaginative and short menu in the sushi area.
Sapporo was good although a bit loud and rather chain" like. Maido is our very favorite restaurant, sushi or otherwise. We eat there several times a month. Inventive, interesting, casual, eclectic friendly.
no avatar
User

Erin Riedel

{ RANK }

Foodie

Wed Mar 28, 2007 2:14 pm

Germantown

by Erin Riedel » Fri Sep 14, 2007 12:11 pm

I would recommend Maido very highly and also Sakura Blue, which has an interesting menu and consistently good food. Typically if I'm going out for sushi I go to Sakura, but Maido is a whole other experience, since they have sushi as well as all sorts of yummy small plates and a great beer list. You really can't go wrong with either one!
Last edited by Erin Riedel on Fri Sep 14, 2007 1:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
no avatar
User

Aaron Newton

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 15, 2007 3:34 pm

by Aaron Newton » Fri Sep 14, 2007 12:58 pm

Sapporo is usually our go-to place for Sushi. Sakura Blue is worth a mention too. I don't know why it doesnt get more recognition, but probably because of it's Shelbyville Rd. shopping center location.

I haven't been to Raw, mostly because it's my impression that the value is better at Sopporo.

Astonishingly I've been meaning to get to Maido since they opened, and still haven't managed it - it's a bit more of a drive for us as well. But we do have a dinner date there with friends coming up! :D But even then I likely won't get much if any sushi, I'm going more for the izayaka fare.
no avatar
User

Andrew Mellman

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Mar 02, 2007 10:33 am

Louisville

by Andrew Mellman » Fri Sep 14, 2007 2:01 pm

If you're East, Tokyo (I think) on Lime Kiln Lane (between Brownsboro/42 and Brownsboro/22) is worth a visit. Also, Simply Thai on Wallace in St. Matthews doesn't fit you're "great atmosphere" as much, but the owner used to be the sushi chef at (I think) Sopporo and she has many unique and unusual rolls.
Andrew Mellman
no avatar
User

Melissa S

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 3:03 pm

by Melissa S » Fri Sep 14, 2007 2:53 pm

Across from the Tinseltown movie theater (east end of town) is Fuji Japanese Steakhouse and IMO they have some of the best sushi in town and they are reasonably priced- atmosphere is pretty classic for a Japanese restaurant.
no avatar
User

ShaneMcD

{ RANK }

Just got here

Thu Sep 13, 2007 7:59 pm

by ShaneMcD » Fri Sep 14, 2007 4:02 pm

Thanks for everyone's input, I think we'll try either Sopporo or Maido tonight and Sakura possibly on another occasion!
no avatar
User

Kelly Herre

{ RANK }

Foodie

Tue Mar 06, 2007 12:20 pm

Crescent Hill, Louisville

Try Caviar too!

by Kelly Herre » Fri Sep 14, 2007 4:41 pm

I LOVE Caviar (on Muhammad Ali, just past Fourth St. Live)...I have had many wonderful experiences there. The manager, Shawn, is very kind and hospitable. They have some very inventive and fun rolls!
no avatar
User

carla griffin

{ RANK }

Foodie

Wed Mar 07, 2007 8:32 pm

by carla griffin » Sat Sep 15, 2007 9:01 am

I second Sakura Blue for it's options and consistantcy. But my favorite is Osaka on Frankfort Ave up near the railroad tracks. It's small, personal, locally owned and feels like a family owned restaurant. Every time we go we walk away saying "WOW! Another great meal."
Carla
There is one thing more exasperating than a wife who can cook and won't, and that's a wife who can't cook and will. ~Robert Frost
no avatar
User

Aaron Newton

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 15, 2007 3:34 pm

by Aaron Newton » Sat Sep 15, 2007 10:20 am

carla griffin wrote:I second Sakura Blue for it's options and consistantcy. But my favorite is Osaka on Frankfort Ave up near the railroad tracks. It's small, personal, locally owned and feels like a family owned restaurant. Every time we go we walk away saying "WOW! Another great meal."

My sister was just singing the praises of Osaka last night while we were out at Sapporo. Think we're gonna have to try it soon.
no avatar
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Tue Feb 27, 2007 2:38 pm

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Sat Sep 15, 2007 10:37 am

Aaron Newton wrote:My sister was just singing the praises of Osaka last night while we were out at Sapporo. Think we're gonna have to try it soon.

When Osaka first opened, it was excellent, run by a guy who had been at Bonsai.

In the opinion of most sushi geeks (including me) it really went downhill after its first year. BUT ... because of that, I haven't been back in a long time. Since it's not far from home, I really want it to be good ... sounds like it's time for a re-check.
no avatar
User

Kim H

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 12:07 pm

Louisville

Re: Louisville sushi?

by Kim H » Sat Sep 15, 2007 1:54 pm

ShaneMcD wrote:Hello Louisville! My wife and I recently moved to "The Ville" and we love sushi.
We were wondering which sushi spot, hits the spot? I've heard of Raw, Sapporo, and Maido, are these three the most popular for there quality and price? I know sushi is expensive, but I want the best quality I can find, along with a great atmosphere!
Please help, Thanks.

Hi Shane! Welcome to Louisville, and to our food forum! Hope you find yourself loving both.

Curious - where did you move from? Wondering what sushi standards you are used to.

I believe others have given a more experienced opinions on sushi, but I would HIGHLY recommend Maido. Their sushi is outstanding, but their menu in general is a food lover's dream. So many things to choose from, wonderful flavors, and unique dishes. I refer to it as a Japanese tapas bar. Lots of small plates that you can share, and experience many different tastes. We've always been pleased with our meals and service there, and would highly recommend them.
no avatar
User

Jenny H

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 29, 2007 12:14 pm

Another Sushi Suggestion

by Jenny H » Sat Sep 15, 2007 9:06 pm

I would definitely recommend Kimi's Asian Bistro near 64 and Blankenbaker. The sushi is very good (try the crunch roll) AND it is half priced on Wednesdays and Sundays which makes it even better! My hubby loves his sushi and this is one of his favorite places.
no avatar
User

Michelle R.

{ RANK }

Foodie

Wed May 30, 2007 1:28 pm

Hikes Point

by Michelle R. » Mon Sep 17, 2007 4:51 pm

Believe it or not, Whole Foods has some pretty excellent sushi. Occasionally, I get a hankering for their Spicy Shrimp Tempura roll. Nummy. As far as "real" sushi places go, my favorite is Sakura Blue.
no avatar
User

Ron Johnson

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 11:48 am

by Ron Johnson » Mon Sep 17, 2007 4:58 pm

Erin Riedel wrote:I would recommend Maido very highly and also Sakura Blue, which has an interesting menu and consistently good food. Typically if I'm going out for sushi I go to Sakura, but Maido is a whole other experience, since they have sushi as well as all sorts of yummy small plates and a great beer list. You really can't go wrong with either one!

I am also a fan of Sakura Blue.
Next