Welcome to the Louisville Restaurants Forum, a civil place for the intelligent discussion of the local restaurant scene and just about any other topic related to food and drink in and around Louisville.

Louisville sushi?

no avatar
User

John R.

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Mar 05, 2007 11:29 am

Old Lousiville

by John R. » Tue Sep 18, 2007 3:12 pm

Sapporo, and have the lotus blossom roll. mmmm
Im not a food"ie", I am a food"er".
no avatar
User

ShaneMcD

{ RANK }

Just got here

Thu Sep 13, 2007 7:59 pm

Avalon experience after Sushi, not good!

by ShaneMcD » Thu Sep 20, 2007 9:20 pm

So I want to start by thanking everyone who has helped with sushi choices since I just arrived in The Ville! My wife and I went to Sapporo last Friday night and enjoyed the sushi, did not care for the loud atmosphere. We will be going to Maido or Sakura Blue for our next sushi experience. My family is coming into town this weekend and we will probably try out Maido. So, after sushi we wanted to listen to music and enjoy a bottle of wine. Well, we found music at Avalon and decided to enjoy the atmosphere and ambiance. The time was 9:45 and there were four tables open in the courtyard. We asked to be seated for a bottle of "good" wine and dessert, well that didn't go over to well with the hostess or manager. They actually tried to turn down money due to us not wanting dinner, mind you, no tables at the bar. So with no one behind us waiting for a table I politely asked to be seated in the courtyard instead of the open tables on the sidewalk! Not unreasonable to think that they might just agree with the fact I wanted to spend money and sit where I wanted. Anyway, the service was terrible and I will never, ever go back to Avalon. So far my only bad experience with Louisville restaurants!
no avatar
User

carla griffin

{ RANK }

Foodie

Wed Mar 07, 2007 8:32 pm

by carla griffin » Fri Sep 21, 2007 8:06 am

That just kinda suxs! I would have been irritated as well. I would have thought the wine/dessert purchase would have entitled you to a great table at that time of night.
On another note...
If you're really going out for sushi this weekend I don't think Maido is your best option. It's been a while since we've been there and while the menu is very good, the sushi selection was very limited. Perhaps that's changed. We like a large sushi menu with plenty of options that we've never tried before.Maybe one of the other forum members can bring us up to speed with Maido's sushi offerings. Otherwise you might want to reconsider Sakura Blue or Osaka just across the street from Maido.
Carla
There is one thing more exasperating than a wife who can cook and won't, and that's a wife who can't cook and will. ~Robert Frost
no avatar
User

GaryF

{ RANK }

Foodie

Wed Apr 25, 2007 12:05 am

by GaryF » Fri Sep 21, 2007 9:31 am

While Maido doesn't have as complete a list of individual sushi offerings- no toro or uni or salmon roe- it does have an extensive list of delicious and imaginitive rolls. My favorite is the Lotus Unfolding- I believe it is hamachi and avocado in the centerand roasted pepper and eel outside- the contrast between the warm eel and the soft smooth center is a great sensation.
And, as Kim mentioned there is a wide variety of other offerings. I've never been bored by their menu or service.
no avatar
User

TanyaD

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 11:31 am

Louisville

Menu

by TanyaD » Fri Sep 21, 2007 10:37 am

no avatar
User

carla griffin

{ RANK }

Foodie

by carla griffin » Fri Sep 21, 2007 1:45 pm

WOW! That's considerably more than was offered when I was there last. Looks like I'll have to make a trip back to Maido myself.
Carla
There is one thing more exasperating than a wife who can cook and won't, and that's a wife who can't cook and will. ~Robert Frost
no avatar
User

David R. Pierce

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 1:02 pm

by David R. Pierce » Fri Sep 21, 2007 2:04 pm

carla griffin wrote:WOW! That's considerably more than was offered when I was there last. Looks like I'll have to make a trip back to Maido myself.

Looks pretty much the same as when they opened, some additions. Maido usually offers sushi specials, rolls not on the menu.
Cheers,
David R. Pierce
The Original BBC Brewmaster
Bluegrass Brewing Co.
St. Matthews branch
Craft Brewing Louisville continuously since 1992
no avatar
User

carla griffin

{ RANK }

Foodie

by carla griffin » Fri Sep 21, 2007 2:10 pm

We were ther about a month after they first opened ( what's that...almost 2 years ago?) so it's been a while but no, there wasn't near that much offered in the way of sushi. We were very disappointed in the limited selection at the time. What we did get was very good but again selection was limited. Happy to see they've expanded.
Carla
Previous