Welcome to the Louisville Restaurants Forum, a civil place for the intelligent discussion of the local restaurant scene and just about any other topic related to food and drink in and around Louisville.

Independent Restaurants in Berea, Ky.

no avatar
User

Ed Vermillion

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Mar 02, 2007 1:32 pm

38 degrees 25' 25' N 85 degrees 36' 2' W

Independent Restaurants in Berea, Ky.

by Ed Vermillion » Fri Sep 14, 2007 8:15 am

My Brother & Sister-in-laws and their two elementary aged children will be travelling to Berea this weekend. They are staying at Boone Tavern & Inn Saturday night. Since they will be having Sunday lunch at the Inn they need some advice on where to dine Saturday evening. They prefer independents. I'm only familiar with Berea Inn so I turn to you for help.

Thanks!
no avatar
User

Ron Johnson

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 11:48 am

by Ron Johnson » Fri Sep 14, 2007 9:15 am

Boone Tavern. They should eat every meal there. The place rocks.
no avatar
User

Eliza W

{ RANK }

Foodie

Wed Mar 21, 2007 4:24 pm

Indian Hills

Berea

by Eliza W » Fri Sep 14, 2007 9:56 am

I love the Boone Tavern, with one significant caveat. It's extremely slow, and if you're going with school aged children, the wait might be a bit much for them.

To entertain them during the wait, there are some hand-made games in the lobby of the hotel, and there are often musicians. There's also a small store selling locally-produced items. You know your nieces and nephews and how they'll deal with the wait, but keep it in mind. My daughter is 3 and she did well, but we did have to do a couple of tours of the lobby and the store.

If you don't want such a long wait, there's a cafe around the corner from the hotel serving sandwiches, burgers, and salads. It's good, if not memorable, food. There's also a cute coffee shop for dessert/relaxing. My daughter split a really rich brownie with the entire table.
no avatar
User

Ethan Ray

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 2:30 pm

by Ethan Ray » Fri Sep 14, 2007 12:37 pm

I grew up in Berea, and worked at Boone Tavern for a few years in high school before moving here for culinary school...

The cafe Eliza mentions is Papaleno's, which has a nice bill of fare by way of pizza, subs, salads, etc. It sits on the opposite side of college square.

Wan Pen is an interesting little asian spot (just off I-75, exit 76... near the walmart) The owners are Thai,
and although it's a bit like any other americanized asian restaurant in a any town, the thai dishes are pretty tasty, and there's plenty of stuff kids would love.

Rio Grande Mexican, nothing more than tex-mex... but never ever had a bad meal here.

Dinner Bell Restaurant, think cracker barrel... but independently owned.

Mario's Pizza is always good for a sit down pizza place.

and the aforementioned Boone Tavern is always a solid option,
and between there and Papaleno's is Berea Coffee & Tea Co. (which Eliza mentioned... also in college square.)

Berea, KY Official Website - Area Dining

hope any of this helped!
Ethan Ray

I put vegetables in your desserts, white chocolate with your fish and other nonsense stuff that you think shouldn't make sense, but coax the nonsense into something that makes complete sense in your mouth. Just open your mind, mouth and eat.
no avatar
User

Jackie R.

{ RANK }

Foodie

Tue Mar 06, 2007 3:48 pm

Highlands

by Jackie R. » Fri Sep 14, 2007 3:41 pm

Oh, Ethan, of course you're from Berea. Makes perfect sense.
no avatar
User

Ed Vermillion

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Mar 02, 2007 1:32 pm

38 degrees 25' 25' N 85 degrees 36' 2' W

by Ed Vermillion » Fri Sep 14, 2007 10:35 pm

Thanks Ron, Eliza and Ethan for the help. I have forwarded all on to the family.
no avatar
User

Ethan Ray

{ RANK }

Foodie

by Ethan Ray » Fri Sep 14, 2007 11:10 pm

Jackie R. wrote:Oh, Ethan, of course you're from Berea. Makes perfect sense.

Dare i ask why this 'makes perfect sense', Jackie?

...cause i'm at a lost right now.
Ethan Ray

I put vegetables in your desserts, white chocolate with your fish and other nonsense stuff that you think shouldn't make sense, but coax the nonsense into something that makes complete sense in your mouth. Just open your mind, mouth and eat.
no avatar
User

Jackie R.

{ RANK }

Foodie

Tue Mar 06, 2007 3:48 pm

Highlands

by Jackie R. » Fri Sep 14, 2007 11:35 pm

I have the highest regard for all things and people produced by Berea. Just a simple compliment to your character my man.
no avatar
User

Ethan Ray

{ RANK }

Foodie

by Ethan Ray » Sat Sep 15, 2007 2:29 am

Jackie R. wrote:I have the highest regard for all things and people produced by Berea. Just a simple compliment to your character my man.

okaaaay.

i'm not entirely sure what you mean by that, but i'll take it as far as i can in compliment.
Ethan Ray

no avatar
User

carla griffin

{ RANK }

Foodie

Wed Mar 07, 2007 8:32 pm

by carla griffin » Sat Sep 15, 2007 8:48 am

Berea is an awesome town. My daughter went to college there and loved it. Before she went to school there I mistakenly judged it as a college town that just made pottery and brooms. Boy was I wrong! The college was full of neat kids from all walks of life (except the monetary wealthy) from all over the world. I loved my visits to Sarah there.
Carla
There is one thing more exasperating than a wife who can cook and won't, and that's a wife who can't cook and will. ~Robert Frost