Welcome to the Louisville Restaurants Forum, a civil place for the intelligent discussion of the local restaurant scene and just about any other topic related to food and drink in and around Louisville.
User

Steve P

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sun Sep 23, 2007 10:18 pm

Re: How many have eaten in a Nat'l chain rest. raise your ha

by Steve P » Wed Jun 01, 2011 11:43 am

Like most folks, I've eaten at plenty of "chains"...and had plenty of great meals. Where the problem comes in is consistency from unit to unit or even day to day at the same location. It's kinda like playing darts, sometimes you hit the bullseye and sometimes you don't.. Off the top of my head, a few that fall into this category are:

Famous Dave's
B.J.s
Old Chicago Pizza
Red Robin
Stevie P...The Daddio of the Patio
no avatar
User

Matt F

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sun Apr 22, 2007 7:51 pm

Louisville

by Matt F » Wed Jun 01, 2011 2:14 pm

*5 Guys - burger & fries, obv
*Qdoba - naked poblano pesto burrito (black beans, salsa verde, no cheese/light sour cream, extra cilantro, please & thank you)
*White Castle - jalapeno cheese sliders & Big Red (an occasional milkshake)
*Krispy Kreme - 12 glazed, one Sunday a month for me & the tribe

...and thats about it

edit: upon further review, it seems that I am indeed good for a once-in-a-while pecan waffle and country ham biscuit from Waffle House
Last edited by Matt F on Mon Jun 06, 2011 2:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I'd rather have a bottle in front of me than a frontal lobotomy

~Tom Waits
no avatar
User

Chris LM

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 11, 2010 6:23 pm

by Chris LM » Wed Jun 01, 2011 3:42 pm

I needed to satisfy a red meat craving recently & went to Texas Roadhouse for the prime rib, baked potato, and tossed salad. All that for about $12 and everything was excellent. One of the best values I have had in a while.

Not sure if a local independent place could match the quality & value I received that night.
no avatar
User

Matt F

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sun Apr 22, 2007 7:51 pm

Louisville

by Matt F » Wed Jun 01, 2011 4:16 pm

Chris LM wrote:I needed to satisfy a red meat craving recently & went to Texas Roadhouse for the prime rib, baked potato, and tossed salad. All that for about $12 and everything was excellent. One of the best values I have had in a while.

Not sure if a local independent place could match the quality & value I received that night.

that is correct
I'd rather have a bottle in front of me than a frontal lobotomy

~Tom Waits
User

Deb Hall

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sun Mar 04, 2007 4:46 pm

Highlands , Louisville

by Deb Hall » Fri Jun 03, 2011 8:54 pm

Lots of Panera ( both that my daughter works there and because they post calories)
Qdoba
McDonalds for Egg McMuffin and twice a year big Macs
Zoes Kitchen
Papa Johns or Dominoes pizza by the pool
Burger King
Dunkin Donuts

While we eat at fast food on the Interstate sometimes, I'm a big user of Yelp/Urbanspoon to find great local places while travelling and will go happily out of my way for great unique food. We've found some real gems this way.

Never: Tumbleweed, White Castle, KFC, Applebees, Texas Roadhouse, Long Johns, O'Charleys, Olive Garden

Deb

Deb
no avatar
User

Andrew Mellman

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Mar 02, 2007 10:33 am

Louisville

by Andrew Mellman » Sun Jun 05, 2011 5:38 pm

Deb Hall wrote:Lots of Panera ( both that my daughter works there and because they post calories)
Qdoba
McDonalds for Egg McMuffin and twice a year big Macs
Zoes Kitchen
Papa Johns or Dominoes pizza by the pool
Burger King
Dunkin Donuts

While we eat at fast food on the Interstate sometimes, I'm a big user of Yelp/Urbanspoon to find great local places while travelling and will go happily out of my way for great unique food. We've found some real gems this way.

Never: Tumbleweed, White Castle, KFC, Applebees, Texas Roadhouse, Long Johns, O'Charleys, Olive Garden

Deb

Deb

Deb - did you know that Olive Garden now posts calories for everything??
Andrew Mellman
no avatar
User

Andrew Mellman

{ RANK }

Foodie

Louisville

by Andrew Mellman » Sun Jun 05, 2011 5:59 pm

Mark R. wrote:
andrew mellman wrote:---"Real restaurants" by my definition are former stand-alone restaurants which became successful in their areas, spawned more into a local chain, and then gradually expanded around the country staying corporate owned and controlling quality.

Just wondering, what restaurants do you put into this category?

Can think of five off-hand.

First, I may stand alone on this forum with this one, but Cheesecake Factory was a woman who was recently divorced, and started making cheesecakes at home to get money. Rest is history. All are owned by the original family, they employ a big group of "tasters" who continually monitor their restaurants for quality, the local chefs have contests quarterly to develop new menu items, and they make an effort (and now are lowering calorie count of their menu!).

Fleming's Steak House was developed by Paul Fleming (I think with the money he got from selling off PF Chang's). He did eventually sell this one to the Outback Chain, after checking to be sure the buyer wouldn't destroy his restaurant. Fleming's still has 100 wines by the glass, and a wonderful customer program which tracks all customers, so that when you make your second reservation you are greeted by name, suggestions are made based on what you ordered last visit, and they still try to keep the customer satisfaction sky-high.

The third is Jeff Ruby's. All meat is still dry-aged (even though that is extremely expensive), entertainment is top, and while have some quibbles with the sushi (way too big) it's hard to argue that the quality and customer relations have declined in the slightest.

For the other two, look at Lettuce Entertain You (in Chicago) and BR Guest (in NYC). Both have multiple restaurants in multiple locations, but due to ongoing relationships with chefs (often brought in as partners) quality is kept way up. While some of each could be termed closer to "concept restaurants", they are individualistic (even if they have multiple locations) and again due to the chef partnerships are thought by many living in the city to be "local" restaurants!
Andrew Mellman
User

Mark R.

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Apr 09, 2007 12:02 pm

Anchorage, KY

by Mark R. » Sun Jun 05, 2011 7:06 pm

I didn't know the story about the Cheesecake Factory nor Fleming's they're interesting stories. I've been to the Cheesecake Factory several times and while the food is pretty good I really don't enjoy the restaurant because of the menu format (the advertising is ridiculous), how crowded they are and I feel their menu is overpriced. I have been to Fleming's one time and did really enjoy it.

I don't think I would consider Jeff Ruby's a national chain, they're barely a regional chain. Actually BoomBazz's, Tumbleweed and J. Gumbo's probably have as many restaurants.

Lettuce Entertain You seems to be more of a holding company that has many concept restaurants in it from what I can find. Quite sure how that would fit into the chain restaurant picture. BR Guest is even more obscure because they have restaurants and hotels in their portfolio. It doesn't really appear that either one of these would be considered restaurant chains. If they are then Darden Restaurants group should also be considered as a chain which I don't believe anybody does.
Written using Dragon NaturallySpeaking

"Life is short. Drink the good wine first"
no avatar
User

Andrew Mellman

{ RANK }

Foodie

Louisville

by Andrew Mellman » Sun Jun 05, 2011 9:38 pm

Mark R. wrote:I didn't know the story about the Cheesecake Factory nor Fleming's they're interesting stories. I've been to the Cheesecake Factory several times and while the food is pretty good I really don't enjoy the restaurant because of the menu format (the advertising is ridiculous), how crowded they are and I feel their menu is overpriced. I have been to Fleming's one time and did really enjoy it.

I don't think I would consider Jeff Ruby's a national chain, they're barely a regional chain. Actually BoomBazz's, Tumbleweed and J. Gumbo's probably have as many restaurants.

Lettuce Entertain You seems to be more of a holding company that has many concept restaurants in it from what I can find. Quite sure how that would fit into the chain restaurant picture. BR Guest is even more obscure because they have restaurants and hotels in their portfolio. It doesn't really appear that either one of these would be considered restaurant chains. If they are then Darden Restaurants group should also be considered as a chain which I don't believe anybody does.

There are 7 Ruby's in three states. Yes, they are "regional", but I think that qualifies as a chain still run by the founder!

Of course you are correct about BR Guest & Lettuce; the difference is that the Darden restaurants are true "concepts" developed by them, and pitched to appeal to middle America forgetting about any regional or other local differences or appeal. For Lettuce & BRG, on the ohter hand, their chains - with chef involvemnt and partial ownership - take a stand! They re generally viewed as "local chains" by most due to quality, concistency, and positioning, are not pitched at the masses, and are genuinely almost "revered" even tho many of the brands can be found in 3-4 states around the country!
Andrew Mellman
User

Mark R.

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Apr 09, 2007 12:02 pm

Anchorage, KY

by Mark R. » Sun Jun 05, 2011 9:50 pm

andrew mellman wrote:There are 7 Ruby's in three states. Yes, they are "regional", but I think that qualifies as a chain still run by the founder!

I guess because the original thread started talking about National chains I didn't consider ones like these.
Written using Dragon NaturallySpeaking

"Life is short. Drink the good wine first"
no avatar
User

Harry Dennery

{ RANK }

Foodie

Wed Feb 25, 2009 5:59 pm

by Harry Dennery » Mon Jun 06, 2011 10:11 pm

Carla G wrote:Some of these chains started out as Louisville locals didn't they? Moby Dicks has already been mentioned but Long John Silvers started as a Louisville chain I thought . (Didn't the Kaphammer family originate that chain?) And I thought Qdoba was owned by the Grisanti family but I could be wrong about that. Then of course there's KFC and Papa John's.

To read a great history of JJS see article http://www.answers.com/topic/long-john-silver-s
LJS stated in Lexington and Kaphammers were/are localfranchisees.

Jim Patterson was first President. Afterwards he started Rally's and has had a few other success' one of which is Volare. Having dined at Volare in Chicago, he brought concept to Louisville.
Qdoba local franchise ownership is Michael Grisanti and Don Doyle former Pres KFC.
Louisville has developed lots of great restaurant people over the years.

When I owned my local Food Service brokerage, we only dined at locals that were serviced by local distributors. Still prefer locals and as now 33 year resident of Louisville(native of New Orleans0, I am sure most of you agree how much better the dining opportunities are now than in the early 80's.
no avatar
User

Helen Claiborne

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sat May 29, 2010 7:15 pm

Prospect

by Helen Claiborne » Wed Jun 08, 2011 12:15 pm

Hi there,

My once in awhile regulars are:

Culvers- dressed cheeseburger, small frys

McDonalds- plain cheeseburger, small frys

Macaroni Grill-seafood pasta

LongHorn-for a steak at lunch (sirloin)

Moby Dick-fish sandwich (Local Chain)

Zoe's Kitchen-chocolate cake and anything else

Dairy Queen-dipped chocolate cone

Naked Pizza-thin crust veggie pizza

Simply Splendid Salads-any salad or Hot Brown crepe

Jimmy John-veggie sandwich

I usually eat out local for the good stuff :D
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Tue Feb 27, 2007 2:38 pm

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Wed Jun 08, 2011 7:06 pm

Helen Claiborne wrote:Hi there,

Welcome, Helen! Glad you're here. Like your attitude! 8)
no avatar
User

Brian Curl

by Brian Curl » Thu Jun 09, 2011 6:59 pm

my most frequent regular chain stop is Mcd's coffee or coffee drinks drive thru on the fly -

And I know enough about coffee to say in that scenario they are decent.....
no avatar
User

Bob Adams

{ RANK }

Just got here

Sat Apr 23, 2011 2:54 am

Louisville, Kentucky

by Bob Adams » Thu Jun 09, 2011 9:13 pm

I actually worked for B.R. Guest in New York City. I was Exec. Sous Chef for one of their restaurants in the Meatpacking District. I can tell you, although they are growing, they are definitely not a "chain" as considered by most people. Each restaurant, even Dos Caminos (of which there are several locations) is run by an Exec. Chef. They focus on the food first and foremost. 6 menu changes a year, all chef/seasonal driven. Great company to be a part of...
Bob Adams
Exec. Chef - Z's Oyster Bar and Steakhouse
Previous