Welcome to the Louisville Restaurants Forum, a civil place for the intelligent discussion of the local restaurant scene and just about any other topic related to food and drink in and around Louisville.
no avatar
User

Will Terry

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon May 04, 2009 4:00 pm

Re: How many have eaten in a Nat'l chain rest. raise your ha

by Will Terry » Mon May 30, 2011 12:04 am

I eat at Panera for lunch alot... simply because they have calories posted, so when I'm trying to eat healthy it's easy... it's also one of the few good lunch spots around where I work (Bashford Manor, if anyone wants to recommend places other than Bosna Mak).

I love Jason's Deli...

I ate lunch at Chuy's today... and had dinner at Five Guys.

I'm always in the mood for Chik-Fil-A.

Those are the 5 places I frequent for the most part... I prefer local, but sometimes a chain is just easier.
User

DanB

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Sep 06, 2007 7:47 am

San Francisco

by DanB » Mon May 30, 2011 7:00 am

I went to Olive Garden twice (family) and felt like a little bit of my soul died each time. Like I'm still emotionally scarred.

Sliders are awesome when you're drunk. Egg McMuffins are a terrific hangover helper. Went to a Culvers out in Mizzou and kind of liked it. Vapiano is a big chain over here but highly overrated foodwise. I just had KFC for lunch (first time in ages) because our lovely French intern Clemence wanted some. What Clemence wants, Clemence gets. I still think after all these years that KFC has a good (albeit greasy) product.

I don't think I've ever been to any sit-down casual whatever places like Cheddar, O'Charly, Ruby Tuesday, Applebys all those places. I just assume they are all crap and if I'm on the road, just go for fastfood which I figure can't be much worse.

I will darken Hooters door to meet friends for beers. Also, I kind of miss Burger Chef and A&W rootbeer stands.
User

Roger A. Baylor

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sat Mar 03, 2007 2:01 pm

New Albany

by Roger A. Baylor » Mon May 30, 2011 12:22 pm

For the most part, I'd rather gnaw on fallen tree bark rather than give my money to multinational chains, but at the same time, I've never denied going to regional chain Skyline for a five-way, and as many others here have noted, alcohol mixed with White Castle is inevitable a couple times a year. It's the bane of professional drinkers everywhere, and somewhat unavoidable.

That's pretty much it.

I strive to find a local alternative -- coffee boiled in an unrecycled lard can rather than Starbucks,or NA's own locally-owned Honey Creme rather than Krispy Kreme -- and stick with it. Admittedly, integrity is harder while traveling the purposefully barren Interstates, and in airports and sports venues, because the latter are permitted to use spaces constructed with public money to enforce chain monopolies, which frankly sickens me. But there it is.
Roger A. Baylor
Beer Director at Pints&union (New Albany)
Digital Editor at Food & Dining Magazine
New Albany, Indiana
no avatar
User

Andrew Mellman

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Mar 02, 2007 10:33 am

Louisville

by Andrew Mellman » Tue May 31, 2011 10:38 am

We pretty much eat everywhere - maybe 70% local stand-alone or local chains, 30% national.

(One national didn't see listed is Fox & Hound - we think it far better than Appleby's, and also open to 2am 7 days/week.)

The national chains we do go to tend to be more either "real" restaurants or franchises:
---Franchises, because for many the money is local and stays here (I think Famous Dave's here is a franchise, tho I'm not sure)
---"Real restaurants" by my definition are former stand-alone restaurants which became successful in their areas, spawned more into a local chain, and then gradually expanded around the country staying corporate owned and controlling quality.
We try to avoid "concept" chains; although these can be decent, we'd just rather support the little guys who have made it, and at least theoretically are still watching over quality.
Andrew Mellman
no avatar
User

Matthew D

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sun Jun 22, 2008 11:22 am

No Longer Old Louisville

by Matthew D » Tue May 31, 2011 11:17 am

andrew mellman wrote:We pretty much eat everywhere - maybe 70% local stand-alone or local chains, 30% national.

(One national didn't see listed is Fox & Hound - we think it far better than Appleby's, and also open to 2am 7 days/week.)

The national chains we do go to tend to be more either "real" restaurants or franchises:
---Franchises, because for many the money is local and stays here (I think Famous Dave's here is a franchise, tho I'm not sure)
---"Real restaurants" by my definition are former stand-alone restaurants which became successful in their areas, spawned more into a local chain, and then gradually expanded around the country staying corporate owned and controlling quality.
We try to avoid "concept" chains; although these can be decent, we'd just rather support the little guys who have made it, and at least theoretically are still watching over quality.

For every little guy who has made it and retains the same quality, there are 10 if not 100 Tumbleweeds.
Thinks the frosty mug is the low point in American history.
no avatar
User

Jason G

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Aug 04, 2008 1:18 pm

by Jason G » Tue May 31, 2011 12:56 pm

Qdoba - naked chicken burritos, love the queso too
McCallisters - basil parm chicken sandwich + chicken tortilla soup
Bonefish Grill - bang bang shrimp...enough said
BW3s - average food but addicted to the hot sauce and good place for a beer with friends
BJ's Brewhouse, Hooters
Cracker Barrel when traveling on the interstate for vacation

Fast food...chick filet, whiteys on occasion, taco bell (I only eat the chicken quesadillas though), moby dick (awesome fried fish i don't care what anybody says)

I will say that since I started reading this forum several years ago I really make an effort to choose a local first. Both for reasons of quality and just to support local business. I was raised on chain restaurants, my family just never really knew any better, but I've got them eating locals too. We all went to Doc Crow's for a belated mothers day dinner a couple of weeks ago and it was excellent, much better experience both atmosphere and food than what a chain restaurant could have provided.
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Tue Feb 27, 2007 2:38 pm

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Tue May 31, 2011 1:02 pm

Jason G wrote:moby dick (awesome fried fish i don't care what anybody says)

Totally agree. And bear in mind that Moby Dick, despite its "chainy" look, is strictly a Louisville-area chain, like Boombozz or Gumbo's, that kept the faith and retained indie quality in spite of their success at replicating the brand.
no avatar
User

Jason G

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Aug 04, 2008 1:18 pm

by Jason G » Tue May 31, 2011 1:04 pm

Robin Garr wrote:
Jason G wrote:moby dick (awesome fried fish i don't care what anybody says)

Totally agree. And bear in mind that Moby Dick, despite its "chainy" look, is strictly a Louisville-area chain, like Boombozz or Gumbo's, that kept the faith and retained indie quality in spite of their success at replicating the brand.

Wow, I had no idea that was a Louisville area chain. Although I guess come to think of it, I have never seen one anywhere else.
no avatar
User

GaryF

{ RANK }

Foodie

Wed Apr 25, 2007 12:05 am

by GaryF » Tue May 31, 2011 1:14 pm

I forgot- add Mony Dick's to my list. Yum.
User

Carla G

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Sep 28, 2009 9:01 am

by Carla G » Tue May 31, 2011 3:05 pm

Some of these chains started out as Louisville locals didn't they? Moby Dicks has already been mentioned but Long John Silvers started as a Louisville chain I thought . (Didn't the Kaphammer family originate that chain?) And I thought Qdoba was owned by the Grisanti family but I could be wrong about that. Then of course there's KFC and Papa John's.
"She did not so much cook as assassinate food." - Storm Jameson
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Tue Feb 27, 2007 2:38 pm

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Tue May 31, 2011 4:40 pm

Carla G wrote:Some of these chains started out as Louisville locals didn't they? Moby Dicks has already been mentioned but Long John Silvers started as a Louisville chain I thought . (Didn't the Kaphammer family originate that chain?) And I thought Qdoba was owned by the Grisanti family but I could be wrong about that. Then of course there's KFC and Papa John's.

I THOUGHT that LJS started with a Lexington chain called Jerrico that was also franchise-holder for the regional Jerry's restaurants, but I'm not at all sure about that.

Of course, KFC stands as a bright and shining example of the worst things that can happen when a small business goes mega-corporate. I think the Papa John brand has held on to a more consistent character, maybe because the founder remained in charge; it's not my favorite pizza, but I can't say it's been driven over a cliff the way Yum! has done with its brands.
User

Jeremy Markle

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Jul 09, 2007 2:58 pm

In my car

by Jeremy Markle » Tue May 31, 2011 4:50 pm

Qdoba, Skyline, and Ce Fiore. Kid friendly, tasty, and walkable.

On the other hand so are Day's, Cumberland, Boombozz, Heine Bros, Fleur de Lis, Mark's Feed Store, and others, so we frequent them too. We love where we live.
Check out the new http://www.kentuckyale.com
User

Mark R.

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Apr 09, 2007 12:02 pm

Anchorage, KY

by Mark R. » Tue May 31, 2011 6:34 pm

andrew mellman wrote:---"Real restaurants" by my definition are former stand-alone restaurants which became successful in their areas, spawned more into a local chain, and then gradually expanded around the country staying corporate owned and controlling quality.

Just wondering, what restaurants do you put into this category?
Written using Dragon NaturallySpeaking

"Life is short. Drink the good wine first"
no avatar
User

Blake N

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Mar 20, 2009 8:12 am

by Blake N » Tue May 31, 2011 9:02 pm

I'm a big supporter of local and indi, but I will eat chain food occasionally when it is good.

White Castle (today!) - 4 white castles, fries, unsweet tea
McDonald's - filet o fish, cheeseburger, fries
Culvers - burger and fries with a chocolate frozen yogurt
Ted's Montana Grill - excellent burgers and fries
Penn Station Subs - salami dagwood, east coast style
Mellow Mushroom Pizza
Skyline Chili - five way and coney w/extra mustard
Melting Pot - traditional oil fondue

Some places I won't go to anymore: Wendy's, Arby's, Burger King, any of the TGI Friday's style places, PF Chang's (puke!), Johnny Carino's (I couldn't believe how horrible this place was), Drakes/Malones (Lexington chain)
User

RonnieD

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Aug 23, 2007 12:09 pm

The rolling acres of Henry County

by RonnieD » Tue May 31, 2011 9:26 pm

Matthew D wrote:For every little guy who has made it and retains the same quality, there are 10 if not 100 Tumbleweeds.

Derailing a bit...
This is the biggest challenge I face on a daily basis. The good news is, we are cooking the same way today for 20 stores that we did when we cooked at Gumbo A Go-Go on Frankfort Ave. That said, it is a constant battle I fight.
Ronnie Dingman
Chef Consultant
The Farm
La Center, KY
PreviousNext