Welcome to the Louisville Restaurants Forum, a civil place for the intelligent discussion of the local restaurant scene and just about any other topic related to food and drink in and around Louisville.

"Supper Club"

no avatar
User

Jim Zoeller

{ RANK }

Foodie

Wed Sep 05, 2007 9:35 pm

Middletown

"Supper Club"

by Jim Zoeller » Thu Sep 13, 2007 9:07 pm

A couple of years ago, my wife, myself, and a couple friends decided to start our own "Supper Club". Every 2 or 3 months, we pick an upscale Louisville restaurant to try out and compare notes afterward. So far, we hit Proof on Main, Vincenzo's, Equus, Jack Fry's, Club Grotto, the Oak Room, Lilly's, Azalea, Uptown Cafe, L&N Bistro, and a few others. 610 Magnolia is our next destination. What are the other upscale places we need to hit to make our list more complete? For the record, I am not big on "steak houses".
Jim Zoeller
no avatar
User

Rebecca Clark

{ RANK }

Foodie

Tue Jun 12, 2007 8:57 pm

by Rebecca Clark » Thu Sep 13, 2007 9:25 pm

Le Relais and Limestone are two that come to mind.
no avatar
User

Steve Shade

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Mar 02, 2007 10:53 am

by Steve Shade » Thu Sep 13, 2007 9:39 pm

Agree with Rebacca

Add Z's and Uptown's sister restaurant (and more upscale) .. Cafe Metro.

Also might suggest some of the best ethnic places.

Vietnam Kitchen
Saffron (Persian)
Oriental house (has to be the best Chinese in town -- order off the "authentic menu")
no avatar
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Tue Feb 27, 2007 2:38 pm

Crescent Hill

Re: "Supper Club"

by Robin Garr » Thu Sep 13, 2007 10:05 pm

Jim Zoeller wrote:What are the other upscale places we need to hit to make our list more complete? For the record, I am not big on "steak houses".

Since you specifically mentioned "upscale," Vietnam Kitchen and Oriental House might not suit your purposes, although I love them both. I'll cast another vote in favor of Le Relais and Limestone and Z's, and would add 211 Clover Lane, Volare and Primo, Basa and the new Varanese.

Cafe Metro (and Lilly's) don't really rank among my favorites any more ... they just don't seem to have kept up with the times.
no avatar
User

Tina M

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sat Mar 03, 2007 3:21 pm

Highlands

by Tina M » Thu Sep 13, 2007 10:08 pm

Seviche
no avatar
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Tue Feb 27, 2007 2:38 pm

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Thu Sep 13, 2007 10:19 pm

Tina M wrote:Seviche

Good catch! Can't believe I missed that. It's a favorite. I'd also be tempted to list Mojito even if it isn't quite "upscale." Did anyone mention Asiatique? Park Place?
no avatar
User

Steve Shade

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Mar 02, 2007 10:53 am

Re: "Supper Club"

by Steve Shade » Thu Sep 13, 2007 10:48 pm

Robin Garr wrote:
Jim Zoeller wrote:What are the other upscale places we need to hit to make our list more complete? For the record, I am not big on "steak houses".

Since you specifically mentioned "upscale," Vietnam Kitchen and Oriental House might not suit your purposes, although I love them both. I'll cast another vote in favor of Le Relais and Limestone and Z's, and would add 211 Clover Lane, Volare and Primo, Basa and the new Varanese.

Cafe Metro (and Lilly's) don't really rank among my favorites any more ... they just don't seem to have kept up with the times.

Agree with your additions. Also Tina's Seviche.

Lilly's .. never really cared for the place .. not quite sure why

However I would have to include Cafe Metro in upscale places. Cutting edge .. no .. but consistent and excellent food and service .. yes. Some of the best desserts in town.

I put Saffrons, Vietnam Kitchen, Oriental House in the mix because, although not upscale, if using big bucks as a criteria, still some of the top tables around.
no avatar
User

Kim H

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 12:07 pm

Louisville

by Kim H » Thu Sep 13, 2007 11:53 pm

Mojito's for sure! What better place to take a group of foodies, especially if you're willing to share!!! Maido is good for that as well. Get lots of small plates, and be able to experience a lot of different tastes.

Palermo Viejo, Seviche, Havana Rumba, Equus. and Limestone are also good places to hit for the best of the best. Just off the top of my head, and of course, IMHO.
no avatar
User

Madi D

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 22, 2007 12:35 pm

Highlands

by Madi D » Fri Sep 14, 2007 11:07 am

After my experience on tuesday, (see "Fab-u-lous Birthday dinner at Basa), i would definitly add Basa to the list.