Welcome to the Louisville Restaurants Forum, a civil place for the intelligent discussion of the local restaurant scene and just about any other topic related to food and drink in and around Louisville.

Rough Food Day Yesterday

no avatar
User

Kris Billiter

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 11:12 am

Downtown

Rough Food Day Yesterday

by Kris Billiter » Thu Sep 13, 2007 9:24 am

So yesterday was not a good day. A friend of mine went to Vietnam Kitchen for lunch. W egot there and soon realized they were closed on Wednesdays!!! Bummer. So we decided to try the Jerusalem Cafe. We get there and all the lights are off and they are closed. No signs or explanations. Just closed. By that point we were really hungry so we just went next door to Bearnos and ate entirely to much pizza. When you start with a plan to eat at VK and end with pizza, the day has obviously not gone as planned.

Kris
no avatar
User

christopher stockton

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Mar 05, 2007 2:23 pm

by christopher stockton » Thu Sep 13, 2007 9:42 am

It's happened to me too but no one deseves a day off more that the guys from VK.

Before they started closing on Wednesdays I don't think they ever had a day off.
"It's crazy good sandwiches"
no avatar
User

Ron Johnson

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 11:48 am

by Ron Johnson » Thu Sep 13, 2007 9:46 am

I've done the wednesday mistake at VK too many times. No worse feeling than pulling up, realizing it is wednesday and that VK is closed. I usally default to Cafe Annie a few blocks up 3rd street.
no avatar
User

Rebecca Clark

{ RANK }

Foodie

Tue Jun 12, 2007 8:57 pm

by Rebecca Clark » Thu Sep 13, 2007 9:49 am

Kris,

I had a very similar experience to yours! I didn't get out of meetings until around 3:00 and hadn't had lunch. Went by Mojitos ... missed the lunch hour. Called Meridian Cafe ... missed it by that much! Went down to Shiraz ... had the most delightful visit with the chef about their hummus. Made all the driving around more than worth it! Ended up with the Koobideh Kabob, lentil rice and my favorite ... Shiraz Eggplant. Have the other half to eat for lunch today.

On a side note, the lady I talked with at Meridian Cafe was so kind, even though they were closing at 3:00. Went beyond the "we're closed" to "we are closing at 3:00, but we hope you can come back another time and visit. We're sorry you just missed us." I love that kind of extra effort. Made an impression!
no avatar
User

Aaron Newton

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 15, 2007 3:34 pm

by Aaron Newton » Thu Sep 13, 2007 10:11 am

Heh, the first time I went to VK was on a Wednesday. I had been trying like hell to get out there after hearing a good deal about it and never making...finally I put my foot down, made the time, went for a Wednesday lunch. Oops!
no avatar
User

Steve Shade

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Mar 02, 2007 10:53 am

by Steve Shade » Thu Sep 13, 2007 4:13 pm

Ron Johnson wrote:I've done the wednesday mistake at VK too many times. No worse feeling than pulling up, realizing it is wednesday and that VK is closed. I usally default to Cafe Annie a few blocks up 3rd street.

Been there, done that a couple of times. Wednesday seems an odd day to close. Most do on Monday, but it's not going to keep me from going back.

Actually Cafe Annie is an excellent alternative. I really like that place.