Welcome to the Louisville Restaurants Forum, a civil place for the intelligent discussion of the local restaurant scene and just about any other topic related to food and drink in and around Louisville.
no avatar
User

Kim H

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 12:07 pm

Louisville

Question - some 'obscure'? restaurants on Poplar Level

by Kim H » Wed Sep 12, 2007 8:17 pm

We drove up a part of Poplar Level today that I am rarely on, and I saw some places I am curious about. I can't seem to find much info on the web, so I thought I would ask the forumites. What do you all know about Chef's Country Kitchen (looked like soul food, yum!), Old Louisville Style Chili Parlor and Fish House, and Jack's Fast Food? This area isn't too far from work, and might be some new interesting options, but I don't know anything about any of them.
no avatar
User

Brian Curl

by Brian Curl » Thu Sep 13, 2007 9:41 am

The Country Kitchen is a soul food place (a hot food bar that they serve to you). The food is pretty good. The also offer breakfast and cooked to order (hamburgers, etc).

Jacks is pretty much a chicken place, they may have fish also and wings.

Never been to the other place.
no avatar
User

Steve Shade

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Mar 02, 2007 10:53 am

Re: Question - some 'obscure'? restaurants on Poplar Level

by Steve Shade » Thu Sep 13, 2007 3:26 pm

Kim H wrote:We drove up a part of Poplar Level today that I am rarely on, and I saw some places I am curious about. I can't seem to find much info on the web, so I thought I would ask the forumites. What do you all know about Chef's Country Kitchen (looked like soul food, yum!), Old Louisville Style Chili Parlor and Fish House, and Jack's Fast Food? This area isn't too far from work, and might be some new interesting options, but I don't know anything about any of them.

Jacks is basically a knockoff of Indis by a former employee. There is an Indis on Poplar Level across from a Moby Dick. Believe at Indian Trail. Indis is very good for wings and fried chicken and fish. The potato wedges will clear your sinus. Jacks also does much the same thing.
no avatar
User

Bryan Shepherd

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Mar 30, 2007 6:58 pm

Between Here and There

by Bryan Shepherd » Thu Sep 13, 2007 6:16 pm

Old Louisville Style Chili Parlor and Fish House is worth the trip. Their fish sandwich is above average, and they have plenty of other things from which to choose.

DO NOT go to any of these places after dark..........
BShep
no avatar
User

Steve Shade

{ RANK }

Foodie

by Steve Shade » Thu Sep 13, 2007 6:50 pm

Bryan Shepherd wrote:Old Louisville Style Chili Parlor and Fish House is worth the trip. Their fish sandwich is above average, and they have plenty of other things from which to choose.

What exactly happens "after dark"?
no avatar
User

Ed Vermillion

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Mar 02, 2007 1:32 pm

38 degrees 25' 25' N 85 degrees 36' 2' W

by Ed Vermillion » Thu Sep 13, 2007 7:56 pm

Steve Shade wrote:
Bryan Shepherd wrote:Old Louisville Style Chili Parlor and Fish House is worth the trip. Their fish sandwich is above average, and they have plenty of other things from which to choose.

Not sure what happens "after dark" but seem to recall something about shaking your tambourine "after midnight".
no avatar
User

Steve Shade

{ RANK }

Foodie

by Steve Shade » Thu Sep 13, 2007 8:58 pm

Ed Vermillion wrote:
Steve Shade wrote:

Not sure what happens "after dark" but seem to recall something about shaking your tambourine "after midnight".

Hardly think that is what he is referring to.
no avatar
User

Gary Michael

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 29, 2007 9:55 pm

Chef Country Kitchen

by Gary Michael » Thu Sep 13, 2007 11:34 pm

Tried the gizzards at this place a while back and found them to be rock hard. Mac n cheese and baked beans were decent. I know gizzards aren't supopsed to be fork tender, but the former KFC on east Broadway used to serve a decent batch. Anyone know where to get properly cooked chicken gizzards in Louisville?
no avatar
User

James Paul

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Apr 06, 2007 2:08 am

Seymour, Texas

by James Paul » Fri Sep 14, 2007 3:55 am

What about that little bit on the back that was used to root the tail feathers..

Now there is some fine eating there. I knew a guy that used them as fish bait. if the fish weren't biting he would build a driftwood fire and eat the bait.

:P
Every days a holiday and every meals a feast !
no avatar
User

Kim H

{ RANK }

Foodie

Louisville

by Kim H » Sat Sep 15, 2007 2:09 pm

Brian Curl wrote:The Country Kitchen is a soul food place (a hot food bar that they serve to you). The food is pretty good. The also offer breakfast and cooked to order (hamburgers, etc).

Like a buffet line, or cafeteria style? Take a tray and ask for what you want? We love soul food. What's not to love? Do you know when they serve breakfast? Breakfast should be offered all day long, everywhere. : o)
no avatar
User

Kim H

{ RANK }

Foodie

Louisville

Re: Question - some 'obscure'? restaurants on Poplar Level

by Kim H » Sat Sep 15, 2007 2:19 pm

Steve Shade wrote:Jacks is basically a knockoff of Indis by a former employee. There is an Indis on Poplar Level across from a Moby Dick. Believe at Indian Trail. Indis is very good for wings and fried chicken and fish. The potato wedges will clear your sinus. Jacks also does much the same thing.

Oh, we like Indis a lot, but would be more likely to go there than a knock off, unless there is something specific you would recommend from Jack's. Appreciate the info, thanks!
no avatar
User

Kim H

{ RANK }

Foodie

Louisville

by Kim H » Sat Sep 15, 2007 2:28 pm

Probably would be there at lunch, but what happens after dark? Reminds me of our honeymoon in Belize. They kept telling us not to go out to certain places after dark, but wouldn't tell us what to watch out for. Blank stare. Anyway, how is the chili at the Old Louisville Chili Parlor? I'm guessing it is made with spaghetti, which I'm not opposed to if there is enough chili, and t has flavor. Is the fish breaded or battered, or do they offer both? We'll probably just check them out for lunch sometime. Thanks for the input!
no avatar
User

Bryan Shepherd

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Mar 30, 2007 6:58 pm

Between Here and There

by Bryan Shepherd » Sun Sep 16, 2007 11:36 am

The after dark comment is in reference to your relative safety.........

Grew up down the road and things have gotten a little rough in the area. An occassional shooting and or murder will do that.

Just throwing it out there in the name of safety.
BShep