Welcome to the Louisville Restaurants Forum, a civil place for the intelligent discussion of the local restaurant scene and just about any other topic related to food and drink in and around Louisville.

Pastrami & Swiss

no avatar
User

Jim Zoeller

{ RANK }

Foodie

Wed Sep 05, 2007 9:35 pm

Middletown

Pastrami & Swiss

by Jim Zoeller » Tue Sep 11, 2007 9:34 pm

OK, I'm looking for suggestions. Tell me the best place in Louisville to get a hot Pastrami & Swiss on Rye. I know about Another Place Sandwich Shop downtown. Every time we go to Indianapolis, Shapiro's deli is a must for Pastrami, and in Columbus, OH its Katzingers. But Louisville?
Jim Zoeller
User

Todd Antz

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri May 11, 2007 12:37 pm

Clarksville, IN

by Todd Antz » Tue Sep 11, 2007 9:43 pm

Jim,

Not sure about here in Louisville, but I had to write a reply just because you mentioned Katzingers in Columbus, OH. When I was living in Columbus, I had a house 3 blocks away from them. It was at least a once a week habit to go there. Its still one of the best sandwich shops I have ever been to.

Mmmm... Katzingers......
Keg Liquors
Keeping Kentuckiana Beer'd since 1976
http://www.kegliquors.com

617 E. Lewis & Clark Pkwy
Clarksville, IN 47129
812-283-3988

4304 Charlestown Road
New Albany, IN 47150
812-948-0444
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Tue Feb 27, 2007 2:38 pm

Crescent Hill

Re: Pastrami & Swiss

by Robin Garr » Tue Sep 11, 2007 9:47 pm

Jim Zoeller wrote:OK, I'm looking for suggestions. Tell me the best place in Louisville to get a hot Pastrami & Swiss on Rye. I know about Another Place Sandwich Shop downtown. Every time we go to Indianapolis, Shapiro's deli is a must for Pastrami, and in Columbus, OH its Katzingers. But Louisville?

Jim, I'd suggest Stevens & Stevens. It's a deli with a distinct Louisville touch, nothing very "New Yorky" about it, but their pastrami is outstanding and they really do everything well. It's actually inside the building that Ditto's is in, back at the back, but a separate eatery under separate management.
User

Heather Y

{ RANK }

In Time Out Room

Thu Mar 01, 2007 12:07 pm

Prospect

Pastrami!

by Heather Y » Tue Sep 11, 2007 10:48 pm

Stevens and Stevens is good, after that come over to Meridian, we have one here!
User

Ron Johnson

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 11:48 am

by Ron Johnson » Wed Sep 12, 2007 8:11 am

Stevens & Stevens has what you are seeking. Get the Mark's Special.
User

Kurt R.

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Aug 23, 2007 9:08 am

Louisville, KY

by Kurt R. » Wed Sep 12, 2007 9:09 am

I personally like the pastrami at Stevens and Stevens, but it does not live up to Shapiros in Indy
Kurt

Character is measured by a series of split second decisions.
no avatar
User

Andrew Mellman

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Mar 02, 2007 10:33 am

Louisville

by Andrew Mellman » Wed Sep 12, 2007 3:30 pm

I think Jason's (on Hurstbourne near Shelbyville) is the best around for that. True, it's a "chain", but their sandwiches are almost as large as Shapiro's, their soups are great, and the pastrami is real (as is the rye).

We usually get a soup each and split the sandwich (they're so big).
Andrew Mellman