Welcome to the Louisville Restaurants Forum, a civil place for the intelligent discussion of the local restaurant scene and just about any other topic related to food and drink in and around Louisville.

Organic Eggs?

no avatar
User

Jason G

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Aug 04, 2008 1:18 pm

Organic Eggs?

by Jason G » Mon May 16, 2011 4:47 pm

I just found this page which rates "organic" egg producers based on chicken-friendliness. Now, I've been buying organic eggs for months, mostly because the industrial chicken complex disgusts me. I figure at least I am doing my part in paying a couple of dollars extra to help the chickens.

I've had my doubts about whether the eggs I'm buying really come from "cage-free" chickens. Well, what do you know I read this link and apparently Eggland's Best organic eggs rate one star...meaning the company just found a way to use the organic label but the chickens are still crammed into industrial cages with little to no outdoor access.

I'm pretty pissed off about this. Some of you may want to consider this if you too are buying "organic" food. As an aside, does anyone know where i can get eggs that ACTUALLY come from chicken-friendly farms?? I swear, once i get a little bit of land I'm going to start raising some backyard chickens.

http://www.cornucopia.org/organic-egg-scorecard/
no avatar
User

AmyBK

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Jun 13, 2008 6:32 pm

Main St. days, East End nights

Re: Organic Eggs?

by AmyBK » Mon May 16, 2011 6:28 pm

I've been getting true organic, free range eggs from Stone Run Farms, at the Norton Commons farmers markets on Saturday mornings. They are very nice and happy to talk about their farm operation in Springfield, KY. All of their meats and poultry are excellent. I think the eggs run $3.50 or so a dozen. You can read about their farming practices and get more info at http://www.stonerunfarms.com
no avatar
User

Deb Hall

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sun Mar 04, 2007 4:46 pm

Highlands , Louisville

by Deb Hall » Mon May 16, 2011 6:36 pm

Jason G wrote:I just found this page which rates "organic" egg producers based on chicken-friendliness. Now, I've been buying organic eggs for months, mostly because the industrial chicken complex disgusts me. I figure at least I am doing my part in paying a couple of dollars extra to help the chickens.

I've had my doubts about whether the eggs I'm buying really come from "cage-free" chickens. Well, what do you know I read this link and apparently Eggland's Best organic eggs rate one star...meaning the company just found a way to use the organic label but the chickens are still crammed into industrial cages with little to no outdoor access.

I'm pretty pissed off about this. Some of you may want to consider this if you too are buying "organic" food. As an aside, does anyone know where i can get eggs that ACTUALLY come from chicken-friendly farms?? I swear, once i get a little bit of land I'm going to start raising some backyard chickens.

http://www.cornucopia.org/organic-egg-scorecard/

Jason,

It sounds like what you want is "Pastured Poultry" eggs not necessarily organic. ( Free-range is typically used for beef). Pastured poultry spends a significant amount of it's time out of a cage. Being organic does not mean cage-free- just has to do with the land, feed and medicines it's raised on.
Be wary of "vegetarian diet" eggs- chicken are naturally carnivores ( worms, bugs, etc), so being vegetarian largely means they are caged.

Buying your eggs at any of Louisville's Farmers markets would be a great source for you- you can ask about their practices and get really fresh, great tasting eggs. You can also check ourt sources for pastured poultry and eggs at: http://www.eatwild.com/products/index.html.

Deb
no avatar
User

JustinHammond

{ RANK }

Foodie

Wed Jul 09, 2008 6:26 pm

Lyndon, KY 40222

by JustinHammond » Mon May 16, 2011 6:57 pm

http://www.farmaid.org/site/apps/nlnet/ ... ct=3852207

http://www.fungusamongus.us/BarrFarms/Home.html

Call or email Adam Barr. He is always selling some fantastic looking eggs at the Phoenix Hill Market on Tuesdays. Organic or not, I don't know, but I'd bet they are cage free.

Adam Barr
2440 Popham Rd
Rhodelia, KY 40161
Phone:(859) 608-6458
Email:adam.barr@gmail.com
"The idea is to eat well and not die from it-for the simple reason that that would be the end of your eating." - Jim Harrison

https://www.facebook.com/Louisville-Eat ... 129849554/
no avatar
User

Jason G

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Aug 04, 2008 1:18 pm

by Jason G » Mon May 16, 2011 7:24 pm

Great,thanks everyone! The surprising thing is the fresh eggs aren't really anymore expensive than the organic ones at the grocery.
no avatar
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Tue Feb 27, 2007 2:38 pm

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Mon May 16, 2011 7:26 pm

In addition to the farmers' markets, Chelsea's eggs from Pleasureville, Ky., are sold at Paul's, Rainbow Blossom, Doll's and Whole Foods. Paul's also has Shelby County (KY) eggs. Far as I know, they meet the no-battery-farm rule. They certainly look and taste great.

Also, ask around your neighborhood. We have a neighbor on the next block who keeps hens in her back yard and sells them to neighbors for $4 a dozen, usually a day or two after they're laid. We KNOW they're not caged. They are fenced in her back yard, though. :lol:
no avatar
User

Carol C

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sat Mar 03, 2007 9:26 pm

by Carol C » Mon May 16, 2011 9:52 pm

Kathy and James Jackson are at both the Bardstown Rd and Bear Grass Creek Farmer's Markets. They have great eggs and seem to be very reasonable (can't remember the price exactly). Would totally recommend them. They do sell out very quickly so you may want to get there early.
no avatar
User

Christina Firriolo

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sat Feb 27, 2010 8:39 pm

by Christina Firriolo » Sun May 29, 2016 11:11 am

Bumping this up, looking for local eggs. I appreciate the information in this thread although some of it may now be out of date. Where are you getting your fresh eggs?
"Wine is sunlight, held together by water!" ~Galileo Gallilei
no avatar
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Tue Feb 27, 2007 2:38 pm

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Sun May 29, 2016 12:17 pm

Christina Hall wrote:Bumping this up, looking for local eggs. I appreciate the information in this thread although some of it may now be out of date. Where are you getting your fresh eggs?

I'm willing to trust Chelsea's, Ridge Acres and Organic Acres, all variably available at Rainbow Blossom and Paul's. Generally speaking, I assume that the farmers at the various farmers' markets aren't lying about having eggs from their own pastured hens. And I like it best of all when a neighbor has some. :mrgreen:

I'm more interested in pastured or cage-free than "organic" when it comes to eggs. I like organic in general and insist on it in milk, where it connotes no antibiotics or recombinant bovine growth hormone, and in soy products because Monsanto. But generally speaking, my main interest is buying local or regional product and avoiding corporate food.
no avatar
User

Christina Firriolo

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sat Feb 27, 2010 8:39 pm

by Christina Firriolo » Sun May 29, 2016 4:21 pm

I agree. Organic is not even something I want in an egg, honestly. I just want them fresh and humane.
"Wine is sunlight, held together by water!" ~Galileo Gallilei