Welcome to the Louisville Restaurants Forum, a civil place for the intelligent discussion of the local restaurant scene and just about any other topic related to food and drink in and around Louisville.

Uptown Cafe

no avatar
User

Jim Zoeller

{ RANK }

Foodie

Wed Sep 05, 2007 9:35 pm

Middletown

Uptown Cafe

by Jim Zoeller » Tue Sep 11, 2007 8:33 pm

Its been a while, but the wife and I went to the Uptown Cafe the other night for drinks and appetizers. I was never very impressed with Uptown before, but we had very good food and some drinks as well. Between the two of us, we had the Tomatillo and Smoked Gouda Queso, Chicken Empanadas, the Shrimp Cakes, and Hummus. My wife had a couple real nice martinis, and I had a decent Pinot Noir. I will definitely remember Uptown the next time I am looking for a decent place to have a couple drinks and appetizers.
Jim Zoeller
no avatar
User

Kim H

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 12:07 pm

Louisville

by Kim H » Tue Sep 11, 2007 8:49 pm

I haven't eaten there in years. I took my parents there on their first visit to town, and we had an outstanding meal. I remember my dad was concerned that I chose not to live in an apartment complex, but after we walked up to Parisian Pantry for lunch (when it was still good), Lentini's for dinner one night (many transformations ago), and Uptown for dinner another night, he was convinced I had made the right choice! (my folks are foodies too - I get it honestly!) Anyway, we'll have to keep Uptown in mind for future outings as well - thanks for posting and reminding us!
no avatar
User

Amy Hoover

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 12:27 pm

Butchertown

by Amy Hoover » Tue Sep 11, 2007 8:53 pm

Uptown Cafe is one of the most underrated places. I'm usually not completely awestruck there, but the food is very consistent, reasonably priced, and well thought out. I really love the black bean cake appetizer and the old classic Linguine with Sesame Chicken and Broccoli. I really think they don't get enough credit. I can't think of a time when I've been disappointed there. Plus, Nancy is such a character!
“Fear less, hope more; Eat less, chew more; Whine less, breathe more; Talk less, say more; Love more, and all good things will be yours”

Swedish Proverb
no avatar
User

Will Crawford

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Mar 02, 2007 3:51 pm

by Will Crawford » Tue Sep 11, 2007 9:25 pm

Chef Matt Weber Rocks! I am always impressed with his menu's.
Will Crawford
no avatar
User

Mark A.

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu May 24, 2007 10:30 pm

Uptown Cafe

by Mark A. » Tue Sep 11, 2007 10:06 pm

I have been touting the virtues of Uptown Cafe for many years, on this board and elsewhere. Undoubtedly the most underrated restaurant in town. Excellent menu, excellent service, quiet atmosphere, great value and an honest pour at the bar. What more could you want ? And Kelley, the hostess, is very hospitable and always accommodating. We venture there at least 2 or 3 times a month.
no avatar
User

Amy Hoover

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 12:27 pm

Butchertown

by Amy Hoover » Tue Sep 11, 2007 10:10 pm

Kelley is great. She's the manager and Nancy's daughter, so she definitely has a vested interest in ensuring an enjoyable dining experience....and she does a fantastic job of it.
“Fear less, hope more; Eat less, chew more; Whine less, breathe more; Talk less, say more; Love more, and all good things will be yours”

Swedish Proverb
no avatar
User

Jessica Devine

{ RANK }

Foodie

Wed Mar 07, 2007 10:29 pm

Germantown

by Jessica Devine » Tue Sep 11, 2007 10:10 pm

I've said this before and I stand by it still. The Uptown Cafe burger is my #1 pick for Louisville. Nothing special about it--just delicious.
no avatar
User

Jay M.

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Apr 09, 2007 10:09 pm

Re: Uptown Cafe

by Jay M. » Tue Sep 11, 2007 10:29 pm

Mark A. wrote:I have been touting the virtues of Uptown Cafe for many years, on this board and elsewhere. Undoubtedly the most underrated restaurant in town. Excellent menu, excellent service, quiet atmosphere, great value and an honest pour at the bar. What more could you want ? And Kelley, the hostess, is very hospitable and always accommodating. We venture there at least 2 or 3 times a month.

100% agreement here. We are there a couple of times a month, too, so we'll wave if we see you. :wink:

They have a very stable staff of servers, so it must be a good place to work. My only complaint (admittedly petty) is the dumpy wine glasses - worst in town.
no avatar
User

Jeremy J

{ RANK }

Foodie

Tue Mar 20, 2007 11:30 am

Louisville, KY

by Jeremy J » Tue Sep 11, 2007 10:51 pm

Uptown pork sandwich on the lunch menu...aaahahhhhchhah

no avatar
User

Kim H

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 12:07 pm

Louisville

by Kim H » Tue Sep 11, 2007 11:53 pm

Jessica Hardison wrote:I've said this before and I stand by it still. The Uptown Cafe burger is my #1 pick for Louisville. Nothing special about it--just delicious.

Did you ever try the Diamante burger? Just wondering how Uptown's would compare. Diamante made the best burger ever.
no avatar
User

Ron Johnson

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 11:48 am

by Ron Johnson » Wed Sep 12, 2007 8:09 am

I am a longtime fan and regular customer of the Uptown. Amazingly consistent food. The shrimp bisque and the Uptown burger cannot be beat. There is also a fine selection of appetizers to enjoy with cocktails in the bar area or on the patio. Late night, there is not better place to go for coffee and some of the best desserts in the city. The martinis are mammoth.

My only complaint is the wine list. It is very mainstream, mass market. It looks like it was written by the wine sales rep. But, that has never stopped me from going back very often. I really like the place.

The service is also top notch.
no avatar
User

Kurt R.

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Aug 23, 2007 9:08 am

Louisville, KY

by Kurt R. » Wed Sep 12, 2007 9:13 am

Uptown has fantastic food. We all go through stages where our food or service may not be where we want it. Nancy has a true passion for the industry. If you have suggestions about the wine or the galsses I am sure she would be open to it. Matt is always accomidating to special requests as well.
Kurt

Character is measured by a series of split second decisions.
no avatar
User

Jessica Devine

{ RANK }

Foodie

Wed Mar 07, 2007 10:29 pm

Germantown

by Jessica Devine » Wed Sep 12, 2007 9:38 am

Kim H wrote: Did you ever try the Diamante burger? Just wondering how Uptown's would compare. Diamante made the best burger ever.

No, I never tried their burger. I guess I could be a little biased though--I was a vegetarian for five years and then had a bite of Uptown's burger and it was love at first bite.
no avatar
User

Garrett Hord

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Apr 23, 2007 11:06 am

Louisville, KY

by Garrett Hord » Wed Sep 12, 2007 1:11 pm

Uptown has always (at least 18 years) been my go to neighborhood spot. I can walk right up the street. I consider it a second kitchen. It has always been consistent and good. Comfort food at its best. Salmon croquettes, chicken picatta, and any pasta dish always leave me satisfied. The best mashed potatoes in Louisville. Fluffy, buttery, and they actually taste like a potato. I always leave happier and in a better mood, and this not only because of the food. The staff has always been friendly and efficient and seem truly happy to see you come in. The old-timers, Chris, John, Jayne and of course Kelley, they all know what food service is about. I truly love the place. :D
foodie
no avatar
User

Ron Johnson

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 11:48 am

by Ron Johnson » Wed Sep 12, 2007 1:12 pm

Garrett, you captured the essence of the Uptown perfectly. The place is a gem.