Welcome to the Louisville Restaurants Forum, a civil place for the intelligent discussion of the local restaurant scene and just about any other topic related to food and drink in and around Louisville.
no avatar
User

Kim H

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 12:07 pm

Louisville

Question - Italian Sausage Sandwich?

by Kim H » Mon Sep 10, 2007 9:11 pm

Ok, I was having a converstation with a girl at work, and brought up an Italian Sausage Sandwich. She seemed appalled, and couldn't imagine anyone actually putting that on their menu, and how in the world would that appeal to customers? etc. First of all, if I had never heard of it, I would think to myself, "Wow! That sounds great!" Anyway, I told her I see it on menus all the time, but she says she never has. I shared this conversation with my husband, and he was baffled as well. So I researched, and I can't find a sandwich on a locally (posted) menu called an Italian Sausage Sandwich. I found the sandwich on Melillo's menu, but it's called a Manhattan. I'm from WV, near an area that has a large Italian population, and my husband is from Wisconsin, so I'm wondering if this is a regional item? Any thoughts?
no avatar
User

Gary Guss

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Mar 02, 2007 2:18 pm

Van down by the River

by Gary Guss » Mon Sep 10, 2007 11:06 pm

I know you can get them in chicago and its a common menu item at all the hotdog places there.

GG.
no avatar
User

Suzi Bernert

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 2:08 pm

Louisville, KY

by Suzi Bernert » Mon Sep 10, 2007 11:15 pm

We have seen/had them in NJ, WV, PA, OH, CO, IL, FL, IN, NY. But when I thought about KY, I can only recall getting them at food stands at the State fair and various festivals. In the Northeast I remember getting them either sweet or hot with peppers, onions and tomato sauce. Yum! Now I have to go get some hoagie rolls and make some for dinner this week!! :D
Retired from LMEMS
Co-Founder and House Mother
Berndows Enterprise
"Time to eat?"
no avatar
User

Todd Pharris

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Mar 02, 2007 6:59 pm

by Todd Pharris » Tue Sep 11, 2007 12:48 am

My guess is that Lonnie's in St. Matthews has them.
no avatar
User

James Paul

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Apr 06, 2007 2:08 am

Seymour, Texas

by James Paul » Tue Sep 11, 2007 3:29 am

They were a special menu item at Mario's St Matthews in the late '70's
On a short sub bun or large. Red sauce, provalone cheese.
fresh onion sliced rings and dill chips on request. All done to "a tasty turn".

:wink:
Every days a holiday and every meals a feast !
no avatar
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Tue Feb 27, 2007 2:38 pm

Crescent Hill

Re: Question - Italian Sausage Sandwich?

by Robin Garr » Tue Sep 11, 2007 6:47 am

Kim H wrote: I'm wondering if this is a regional item? Any thoughts?

Slugger Field has them at one or two of the Grill Stations. Served on a hot dog bun with (optional) grilled green peppers and onions. The sausages are very good quality, but I always pass on the veggies because they make them remarkably greasy.
no avatar
User

Ron Johnson

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 11:48 am

by Ron Johnson » Tue Sep 11, 2007 7:45 am

I would be shocked if one could not procure one of these at the Come Back Inn.
no avatar
User

R. N. Dominick

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Mar 02, 2007 9:17 am

Louisville, KY

by R. N. Dominick » Tue Sep 11, 2007 8:03 am

This is somewhat of a sore point with me. Impellizeri's has an Italian Sausage Sandwich, with onions and green peppers, on their menu. I ordered it and got a sandwich with italian sausage, pizza sauce and cheese, which is -- believe it or not -- the other Italian sausage sandwich on their menu. It looked good, so I ate it. The next time I was in for a sandwich, I ordered it, and said to the waitress: "The one with the green peppers and onions," AND I pointed to the menu item.

I got the same pizza-sauce-and-cheese sandwich.

The waitress said the sandwich I wanted had actually been taken off the menu, but they were making it for me anyhow. What I got was the sandwich I had returned with green peppers and onions on it as well. Still not what I wanted or ordered.

I haven't been back to Impellizeri's since.

Back to the topic -- Joe's Older than Dirt has a very tasty Italian Sausage sandwich, on grilled bread with peppers and onions. Makes me want to go and have one right now!
no avatar
User

John Hagan

{ RANK }

Foodie

Wed Aug 29, 2007 6:38 pm

SPENCER CO. Lake Wazzapamani

by John Hagan » Tue Sep 11, 2007 8:49 am

You can get one at Lonnies, they call it a Wells St. Italian sausage. 502 895 2380. They are the only place we have found that makes it like they do in Chicago. It is my preference to get a COMBO, that is a sausage that also comes with Italian beef as well. I do think this is a regional item, very rare to get a good one outside of Chicago--same goes for good pizza.
no avatar
User

Gena W.

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 2:17 pm

Italian Sausage Sandwich

by Gena W. » Tue Sep 11, 2007 9:00 am

It's not actually on the menu, but yes, you can get an Italian sausage sandwich at Come Back Inn. We have a few regular customers who get them frequently. Unless otherwise specified, its served with peppers, onions, and red sauce.
no avatar
User

Michele Melillo-Clem

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sun Mar 04, 2007 9:26 am

East Market Street

by Michele Melillo-Clem » Tue Sep 11, 2007 1:41 pm

At Melillo's, we have two Italian sausage sandwiches. The Manhattan comes with mozzarella cheese, sausage, roasted red peppers and romano cheese and the Newark comes with Italian sausage, peppers, onions and romano cheese . . . marinara optional on both. The Manhattan is one of our best sellers.
It's the hand of the cook that expresses the heart.

Michele Melillo-Clem
no avatar
User

Vince Yustas

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 3:38 pm

Brandenburg, KY

by Vince Yustas » Tue Sep 11, 2007 3:14 pm

Just to go with a chain (also making them readily available), I have found that the sausage sandwich at the Penn Stations is very good -- almost as good as back home in NJ. It's got excellent Italian sausage with grilled onions and peppers and cheese, with pizza sauce optional, then the sandwich is broiled. One big difference is that they slice the sausage rather than serving a link, but it's actually easier to eat that way and in no way takes away from the dish. I choose it often when I'm on the road in unfamiliar territory.
Vince Yustas
Brandenburg (nee Paterson, NJ) KY
"Only a fool argues with a skunk, a mule or the cook."
no avatar
User

Chris M

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Mar 02, 2007 6:10 pm

The Ville

Amerigo

by Chris M » Tue Sep 11, 2007 8:26 pm

Amerigo has an Italian Sausage and meatball Hero on their lunch menu. It's tasty.

I make myself Italian Sausage sandiwches all the time. We cook em up tailgating at the football games at least twice a season. I'm floored someone would have a) never heard of it or b) not think it sounds like the tastiest thing of all time.

Of course, I'm also from WVa originally (and of Italian descent), so Italian Sausage sandwiches and pepperoni rolls have always been a staple of my life.
no avatar
User

Kim H

{ RANK }

Foodie

Louisville

Re: Amerigo

by Kim H » Tue Sep 11, 2007 8:40 pm

Chris M wrote:Amerigo has an Italian Sausage and meatball Hero on their lunch menu. It's tasty.

I make myself Italian Sausage sandiwches all the time. We cook em up tailgating at the football games at least twice a season. I'm floored someone would have a) never heard of it or b) not think it sounds like the tastiest thing of all time.

Of course, I'm also from WVa originally (and of Italian descent), so Italian Sausage sandwiches and pepperoni rolls have always been a staple of my life.

Exactly! I also thought the entire world ate pepperoni rolls all the time. It wasn't until about 4 years ago when I came back from WV with some, and offered one to a girl I worked with to go with her soup. She had no idea what it was, but loved it, and soon, my entire dept. was talking about the pepperoni rolls and how good they are. And it wasn't until then that I realized that most people around here had never had one or even heard of them! When I did more research, I realized they are a WV original. Seems like I should've known that a long time ago, but I just never thought about it.

We usually make our own Italian Sausage and peppers as well, also grilled. Sometimes as a sandwich, sometimes with pasta, sometimes just by themselves. What's not to like about those flavor combinations?
no avatar
User

Kim H

{ RANK }

Foodie

Louisville

by Kim H » Tue Sep 11, 2007 8:44 pm

Thanks to everyone for the suggestions! Some of the places I knew about (Come Back Inn, Melillo's, Lonnie's), others I did not, particularly the ball field (have to get one of those next time we're there). I was really trying to find a menu I could show the girl I work with that specifically said, 'Italian Sausage Sandwich'. It still baffles me as to why that would sound anything less than extremely appealing to someone!
Next