Welcome to the Louisville Restaurants Forum, a civil place for the intelligent discussion of the local restaurant scene and just about any other topic related to food and drink in and around Louisville.

BBC Big Fella

no avatar
User

Brand M

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sat Mar 10, 2007 5:59 am

BBC Big Fella

by Brand M » Mon Sep 10, 2007 7:35 pm

Dave , Greg told me it's on the way in 10 days at O'sheas.Jefferson Reserve 23 year bourbon barrel aged for 9 months,correct?Can't wait to try it.Will be taking a taxi that night.Just wish I could of grabbed one of the few kegs.
no avatar
User

David R. Pierce

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 1:02 pm

by David R. Pierce » Tue Sep 11, 2007 7:18 am

Mostly correct. I have two 27 year old bourbon barrels that were filled with stout the day the barrels were dumped at the distillery. The stout is 10 months in the barrel. We pulled some still samples last week. The stout exhibits the age of the barrel well.

As far as getting kegs, these all go to the Ancient Order of Hibernians

I'd be glad to lay some down for you. Stop by to discuss...
Cheers,
David R. Pierce
The Original BBC Brewmaster
Bluegrass Brewing Co.
St. Matthews branch
Craft Brewing Louisville continuously since 1992
no avatar
User

Todd Antz

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri May 11, 2007 12:37 pm

Clarksville, IN

by Todd Antz » Tue Sep 11, 2007 11:03 am

Dave,

Will any of this stout make it to bottles? Inquiring retailers (well, maybe just one) want to know!
Keg Liquors
Keeping Kentuckiana Beer'd since 1976
http://www.kegliquors.com

617 E. Lewis & Clark Pkwy
Clarksville, IN 47129
812-283-3988

4304 Charlestown Road
New Albany, IN 47150
812-948-0444
no avatar
User

Richard Rush

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Mar 02, 2007 1:36 am

by Richard Rush » Tue Sep 11, 2007 11:27 am

Any idea when the Hell for Certain will be available, and can I get a half barrel keg for the home kegerator?
no avatar
User

Richard S.

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Mar 02, 2007 1:47 pm

by Richard S. » Tue Sep 11, 2007 11:36 am

What's the difference between what you're discussing and what's already available in bottles and on tap around town? I really enjoy the bourbon barrel stout, although the bottles are a bit pricey for my budget.
no avatar
User

Todd Antz

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri May 11, 2007 12:37 pm

Clarksville, IN

by Todd Antz » Tue Sep 11, 2007 11:59 am

The difference is in the bourbon barrels. 27 year old bourbon barrels compared to the usual Jefferson Reserve. It should have a very different bourbon flavor compared to BBC's traditional Bourbon Stout.
Keg Liquors
Keeping Kentuckiana Beer'd since 1976
http://www.kegliquors.com

617 E. Lewis & Clark Pkwy
Clarksville, IN 47129
812-283-3988

4304 Charlestown Road
New Albany, IN 47150
812-948-0444
no avatar
User

David R. Pierce

{ RANK }

Foodie

by David R. Pierce » Tue Sep 11, 2007 12:18 pm

Todd Antz wrote:Dave,

Will any of this stout make it to bottles? Inquiring retailers (well, maybe just one) want to know!

Sorry Todd. Not this time.
Cheers,
David R. Pierce
Bluegrass Brewing Co.
St. Matthews branch
no avatar
User

David R. Pierce

{ RANK }

Foodie

by David R. Pierce » Tue Sep 11, 2007 12:19 pm

Richard Rush wrote:Any idea when the Hell for Certain will be available, and can I get a half barrel keg for the home kegerator?

Mid-Oktober and yes you may.
Cheers,
David R. Pierce
Bluegrass Brewing Co.
St. Matthews branch
no avatar
User

David R. Pierce

{ RANK }

Foodie

by David R. Pierce » Tue Sep 11, 2007 12:29 pm

Todd Antz wrote:The difference is in the bourbon barrels. 27 year old bourbon barrels compared to the usual Jefferson Reserve. It should have a very different bourbon flavor compared to BBC's traditional Bourbon Stout.

The difference is more than the age of the barrel. Big Fella is straight stout from the barrel. Our regular Bourbon Barrel Stout is a two-thread beer; part is aged in the barrel and part is not. To maintain consistancy in the end product we add a measured amount of unbarreled stout to each barrel aged batch. The blend for each batch is a very time consuming and exacting art. The idea, in my mind, is to have an enjoyable stout with HINTS of barrel and bourbon not a boiler maker.
Cheers,
David R. Pierce
Bluegrass Brewing Co.
St. Matthews branch
no avatar
User

Brand M

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sat Mar 10, 2007 5:59 am

by Brand M » Tue Sep 11, 2007 9:24 pm

Hey Dave, been meaning to get down there again.Life has been hectic as of late.Hopefully, next week I'll be bringing back Jefferson Reserve back on tap.Just wanting on a handle to open up.The changing weather will make it my best selling beer again .Tried the cask ale at Flanagan's , great stuff.

I'm going to try and grab a pint at O'sheas if I can make it.I'll take you up on that offer ,though.Haven't tried it yet.Missed it last year.

Octoberfest out yet? I'm really interested in that.
no avatar
User

David R. Pierce

{ RANK }

Foodie

by David R. Pierce » Wed Sep 12, 2007 10:04 am

Brand McGowan wrote:Octoberfest out yet? I'm really interested in that.

Oktoberfest has been out for three weeks and will be available until mid-Oktober when the Hell for Certain comes out. I look forward to your visit.
Cheers,
David R. Pierce
Bluegrass Brewing Co.
St. Matthews branch
no avatar
User

Marsha L.

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 2:56 pm

Louisville, KY

by Marsha L. » Wed Sep 12, 2007 1:16 pm

Dave, I made the base for stout ice cream out of BBC BBS this morning at Cafe Lou Lou. It has to chill overnight and then I'll stick it in the freezer tomorrow morning, so the ice cream should be ready to serve by dinner tomorrow (Thurs eve 9/13). If you've never had stout ice cream made from your beer, I hope you'll stop by and give it a try - it's a revelation! In the morning I'm also making crispy oatmeal cookies to garnish it with.

I've used Guinness, Beamish, and other stouts before, but in my humble opinion your stout beats 'em all. Lovely molasses-y notes, y'know.
no avatar
User

David R. Pierce

{ RANK }

Foodie

by David R. Pierce » Wed Sep 12, 2007 6:26 pm

Marsha L. wrote:Dave, I made the base for stout ice cream out of BBC BBS this morning at Cafe Lou Lou. It has to chill overnight and then I'll stick it in the freezer tomorrow morning, so the ice cream should be ready to serve by dinner tomorrow (Thurs eve 9/13). If you've never had stout ice cream made from your beer, I hope you'll stop by and give it a try - it's a revelation! In the morning I'm also making crispy oatmeal cookies to garnish it with.

I've used Guinness, Beamish, and other stouts before, but in my humble opinion your stout beats 'em all. Lovely molasses-y notes, y'know.

Marsha, thank you for the kind words. I have had BBS (and the others) ice cream before. If you want to try something really good, come down and get some stout right out of the barrel. PM me if interested. I need to bring you some of my BBS chocolate cake with bourbon ganache icing.
Cheers,
David R. Pierce
Bluegrass Brewing Co.
St. Matthews branch