Welcome to the Louisville Restaurants Forum, a civil place for the intelligent discussion of the local restaurant scene and just about any other topic related to food and drink in and around Louisville.
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Tue Feb 27, 2007 2:38 pm

Crescent Hill

PR: Big Shrimpin' at Wallace Stn., Holly Hill

by Robin Garr » Mon Sep 10, 2007 12:18 pm

<i>The Kentucky aquaculture fresh-water shrimp I've tried have been really delicious. These events might be well worth the short drive down to Midway.</i>

<b>Third annual Big Shrimpin’ sale September 21 at Wallace Station
Big Shrimpin’ Feast at Holly Hill Inn September 22</b>

Big Shrimpin’ of Woodford County will celebrate its prawn harvest with two events September 21-22 at Wallace Station and Holly Hill Inn in Midway.

Nat Henton, sous chef at Holly Hill and owner of Big Shrimpin’, will harvest his freshwater prawns early in the morning Friday, September 21, and sell them noon-5 p.m. at Wallace Station, 3854 Old Frankfort Pike. Bring your cooler and stock up. Prawns are $10 a pound.

Chef Ouita Michel and Henton will prepare prawns a number of ways for Nat’s Big Shrimpin’ Kentucky Proud Feast, 7 p.m. Saturday, September 22, at Holly Hill Inn, 426 North Winter Street. Cost is $40, which includes tax, non-alcoholic beverage and service. Full bar and wine list will be available. Reservations suggested at (859) 846-4732.

Holly Hill Inn is at 426 North Winter Street in historic Midway, Exit 65 off I-64, minutes from Lexington, Frankfort and Versailles. Hours are: lunch, 11:30 a.m.-2 p.m. Wednesday-Saturday; dinner, 5:30-10 p.m. Wednesday-Saturday; brunch, 11:30 a.m.-2:30 p.m. Sunday. Reservations suggested for dinner and lunch at (859) 846-4732. For menus and information on special events at Holly Hill Inn, visit http://www.hollyhillinn.com.

Wallace Station is just minutes from Midway, Versailles, Frankfort and Lexington on the scenic Old Frankfort Pike. Hours are 8 a.m.-8 p.m. Monday; 8 a.m.-5 p.m. Tuesday-Thursday; 8 a.m.-5 p.m. Friday-Saturday, 11 a.m.-4 p.m. Sunday. Call (859) 846-5161.
User

Deb Hall

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sun Mar 04, 2007 4:46 pm

Highlands , Louisville

by Deb Hall » Mon Sep 10, 2007 1:11 pm

And the Holly Hill Inn is always outstanding!

If you get a chance to try Ouita's Shrimp a la Woodford with (weisenberger) cheese grits- don't pass it up. Yum!
Deb
User

Jeremy Markle

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Jul 09, 2007 2:58 pm

In my car

by Jeremy Markle » Mon Sep 10, 2007 3:18 pm

Sorry for the extremely late notice, but speaking of Holly Hill Inn, they are catering an interesting meal at Liberty Hall Historic Site in Frankfort this Thurs. & Fri. Capital Cellars will have an all-Kentucky wine selection. Today is the last day to RSVP.

September 13 and 14 -- LHHS to hold annual fundraiser, A Very Brilliant Party, on Thursday, September 13 and Friday, September 14. This year’s event honors the life of one of Kentucky’s first U.S. Senators, John Brown, by Toasting and Tasting the Bounty of Central Kentucky. Attendees will enjoy a lavish meal prepared by the renowned chefs of Holly Hill, musical entertainment, and an exhibit of rare items belonging to Senator Brown. Dress for this event is semi-formal attire or “Early Kentucky” befitting gentlemen and ladies.

Call for more information or to buy raffle tickets. The raffle prize includes overnight stays in both Gratz Park Inn and The Beaumont Inn, dinner at Jonathan’s, a wine tasting at Old Crow Inn and Winery, and tours of nearby historic homes.

All proceeds will support efforts to maintain and preserve LHHS. Tickets are $75 each. The deadline for reservations is September 10. Sponsors include Farmers Bank, Stites & Harbison, PLLC, Capital Cellars, Buffalo Trace/Gemini Wine & Spirits, Inc., Holly Hill Inn, Kentucky Proud Program, Lanham Media Service, Elmwood Stock Farm, Gratz Park Inn, Jonathan’s at Gratz Park, Old Crow Inn and Winery, Beaumont Inn and Wakefield Reutlinger & Company Realtors.

Call (888) 516-5101 or (502) 227-2560 for more details
Check out the new http://www.kentuckyale.com
User

Kim H

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 12:07 pm

Louisville

by Kim H » Mon Sep 10, 2007 9:25 pm

I've heard mixed reviews on the fresh water prawns. Anyone have experiences with eating or cooking them they would like to share?
User

James Paul

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Apr 06, 2007 2:08 am

Seymour, Texas

by James Paul » Tue Sep 11, 2007 3:03 am

I had seen a demo for these at the State Fair years back when they were just getting started. They had some in a display aquarium and they looked like they would be delicious.

How have they turned out? Are they good fried, grilled,steamed and on?
I see Deb says "shrimp and grits, yum yum" any other ideas?

I understand they have them down here in Texas but well east of here.

8)
Every days a holiday and every meals a feast !
User

Ron Johnson

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 11:48 am

by Ron Johnson » Tue Sep 11, 2007 7:46 am

This was a banner year for freshwater shrimp because of the super-hot weather we had in August. Apparently, there are some big fat shrimp being harvested across the state.